Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Joel don't pretend !!! ) You understand everything! ) A person has in mind the ability to make several manual saves for one game! ))) For example, before performing the task, before the horde, before the construction and more. And that these saves were available in the list of saves.

That....would remove any risk, thrill, and/or uncertainty. The ability to go back in time at will would remove any and all consequences from anything. I can't think of a feature more anti-survival than a player controlled undo...

The game should make a backup save periodically but it must not controllable by the player through an autosave button or triggered by something as simple as logging off and back on. If you experience a game ruining bug then there should be a backup to revert to but it should be something that happens periodically in the background and overwrites old backups and shouldn't be something the player can set at the start of every blood moon or before tackling a tough POI or doing a quest. I've failed quests and it is disappointing but you move on and apply for a new one. You don't load the save you made right before the point where you failed and do it again so you never ever ever have to recover from a failure.

That's my opinion written in a regular font.

Thats cheating.

Thank goodness! 100% agree!!

@madmole,

I was reading yer Twitter feed and saw the "One Shot" bonus book perk dealio:

"20% chance to one-shot any ore"

On the surface it sounded neat, but then I dug a bit deeper and I think maybe there's a problem with it. Occasionally for me, possibly often for others, it's desired to carve out a tunnel or pit of a specific dimension. When mining speed is a known quantity, it's pretty easy to time your blows (and how many of them) to destroy just one more block.

If my block-destruction-rate changes speed suddenly 1/5 of the time, that would probably have the effect of slowing certain mining work because the player has to be wary of one-shotting blocks he/she didn't intend to destroy. No more holding down the mouse button for 3 shots to destroy a block - could be 1, 2, or 3 shots who knows? So now the player has to one-click and see what happens, then one-click again, and possibly a 3rd time if the first two didn't one-shot the block.

Or the alternative, hold the mouse for the three swings and just hope that you don't hit the 20% each time and destroy 3 blocks in a row when you only wanted the first one.

I dunno...my instinct is that consistent mining speed (possibly quite fast, if you have read all the books) is more important than a chance for Great Success which might mar your project. $.02

In A17?

A18. A few people have misread what you typed as stating that it won't be fixed in A18. I think Madmole did the same.

Because dismemberment is broken in A17 but won't be in A18.

True Translation: Dismemberment is broken in A17 but it will be fixed in A18.

Mistranslation: Dismemberment is broken in A17 and will not appear in A18.

That....would remove any risk, thrill, and/or uncertainty. The ability to go back in time at will would remove any and all consequences from anything. I can't think of a feature more anti-survival than a player controlled undo...

The game should make a backup save periodically but it must not controllable by the player through an autosave button or triggered by something as simple as logging off and back on. If you experience a game ruining bug then there should be a backup to revert to but it should be something that happens periodically in the background and overwrites old backups and shouldn't be something the player can set at the start of every blood moon or before tackling a tough POI or doing a quest. I've failed quests and it is disappointing but you move on and apply for a new one. You don't load the save you made right before the point where you failed and do it again so you never ever ever have to recover from a failure.

That's my opinion written in a regular font.

Thank goodness! 100% agree!!

I just read an article on some new RPG and the whole thing was about something standard in 7 days since the beginning. You don't really, die, you respawn somewhere after you suffer some crazy trauma. One of my favorite mods for Skyrim is death alternative a mod where you don't die and reload your save game, but instead wake up, sometimes robbed of gear and that creates a new narrative to the role play.

Instead of die, reload the save and beat the bad guy etc.. its I tried killing these bandits and they took all my stuff, locked me in a cage and beat me up for fun every few hours trying to get information out of me. Eventually I escaped, rounded up some spare gear, hired a mercenary and we went back and got revenge on the place. It changed the story from an undefeated dragonborn to failure and hardship which led to digging deep and rebuilding my character stronger and ultimately sweet epic revenge.

I can't go back to the old way of playing where you die and there are no consequences. To me its way better like this. And the funny thing is we've been this way forever, just now modern RPGs are starting to latch on to the idea.

@madmole,

I was reading yer Twitter feed and saw the "One Shot" bonus book perk dealio:

"20% chance to one-shot any ore"

On the surface it sounded neat, but then I dug a bit deeper and I think maybe there's a problem with it. Occasionally for me, possibly often for others, it's desired to carve out a tunnel or pit of a specific dimension. When mining speed is a known quantity, it's pretty easy to time your blows (and how many of them) to destroy just one more block.

If my block-destruction-rate changes speed suddenly 1/5 of the time, that would probably have the effect of slowing certain mining work because the player has to be wary of one-shotting blocks he/she didn't intend to destroy. No more holding down the mouse button for 3 shots to destroy a block - could be 1, 2, or 3 shots who knows? So now the player has to one-click and see what happens, then one-click again, and possibly a 3rd time if the first two didn't one-shot the block.

Or the alternative, hold the mouse for the three swings and just hope that you don't hit the 20% each time and destroy 3 blocks in a row when you only wanted the first one.

I dunno...my instinct is that consistent mining speed (possibly quite fast, if you have read all the books) is more important than a chance for Great Success which might mar your project. $.02

We might limit it to iron/coal/nitrate maybe not stone.

Back in the day with the Original Fallout game...Wasteland on the C64...EVERYTHING you did was permanent...you failed to disarm the bomb on the town mayor? You reloaded and came back , and she was still blown up...one of your characters in the party died? You buried them...there was no reload your save and they were back...was kind of awesome...

Kind of wish they stuck with that for Fallout 1+2...but it went from a party to a single character game and that might have been a little bit more problematic...

We might limit it to iron/coal/nitrate maybe not stone.

Sry to pile on a bit but couple other things about this perk that I think need consideration.

1) -If- the "double-swing", or what seems to be that a swing is triggered at the animation beginning, but can not be canceled if the button is released after that... If that mechanic is 'fixed' so if a player releases their mouse button a millisec before the actual landing of the hit, then it doesn't land, then Boidsters' example may largely be mitigated (not sure how much the double-hit factors in it for him).

Second, and this is an _old_ one. The overhit bonus still exists. So, in -any- circumstance right now one-shotting an ore block is a _bad_ thing; regarding resources gained.

Thats cheating.

Okay, you're right, I didn't think of that, or consider it cheating.

I actually just make backups of saved games out of old habits in case there are file errors due to a crash. This can still be done manually, but it's just more cumbersome.

Archived