Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Sadly this is the truth !

I bourght a new PC to and with 6/12 cores/HT and an RTX 2080 the game runs with 40 - 80 frames on high settings without shadow reflextion.... . My girl friend cant play anymore (her i7-3612 / GTX 680m 4GB is to slow). Same for my friends (lags on MP server, backsteps in loved features after 2 years)

I hoped for oclusion culling to solve performance problems but again I got disappointed as faatal a few days ago said this was pushed back...

Who cares about mem useages these days ... you can upgreade it for small price but GPU / CPU upgreads are expensive!

Occlusion was not pushed back. When it is done it should be in whatever the next major release is. That would not be A17.x, since A17 is pretty much in bug fix mode at this point. The more we work on A18, the harder it is to branch fixes back to A17, so I'm all for getting A18 out the door and stop fiddling with A17.

Although it was worded badly, IMO what MM was intending was that getting players hooked within the first few hours of play is where the focus has to be for Gold, so optimization and bug fixes are key, also on default, the game has to be interesting and relatively straightforward to play and progress.

IMO there will be more content and things for experienced players, all the various setting etc for starters allow everyone to set the game up how they want to play.

I've had over 2000 hours out of the game rarely played passed day 150, haven't played with any mods and only occasionally played RWG.

Still enjoy the game with each Alpha and personally I'm looking forward to the changes coming in A18.

They are "working on optimization" since15.whatever and havent got it till now.They made it worse frm update to update and screwed it on 16.4!Afterwards they destroyed the Performanc completely!17.0 and onwards are Not playable anymore!Despite i have an I3 with 8GB ram and i cant play it ,not even on the lowest setting!

Odd....My wife plays on an old windows 7 laptop with only 6 gig of ram with no trouble. Of course she did a little research, optimized her machine, listened to feedback and reduced her resolution. Not unplayable for her "shrugs"

Because dismemberment is broken in A17 but won't be in A18.

Well, animal dismemberment was broken, which now works. AFAIK zombie dismemberment worked, but only through perks. A18 will still have that , but also cosmetic dismemberment, which means when an animal or zombie dies you may get a dismemberment. You can even get dismemberment on a corpse if you hack on it.

@madmole and "The Fun Pimps"

Hello, I am Guenni from Germany and have been reading here for some time. It's time for my first post (please excuse my English):

First of all I would like to thank you for this great game, there is no other survival game in my collection that has even approximately 1500 hours of playing time as 7DTD has. And after about 500 hours in A.17 I see 7DTD on the right track, at least for me.

I think it's right and important that as a developer you don't lose sight of your goal of what the game should look like in the end, even if this doesn't always meet with the approval of the community. However, it's also important to respond to players' tips and wishes, especially with a community as dedicated as this one. And if this exchange benefits the game, and I think that often happens here, then this is "Early Access" as it should be.

That said, one thing I've been missing for a long time:

It would be great if I could create and manage several savegames directly in the main menu, without having to copy/paste them manually from the save folder, for which I always have to quit the game first.

Keep up the good work!

Scary and funny times

This game can still scare the crap out of me sometimes. I decided to visit a house that was under construction. I thought that it wasn’t any big deal. That it would just be a few zombies and loot cases. For the most part, that’s what it was.

Well the house under construction was of getting the basement done. So I go down and clear it out, no problem. Then I find this tunnel in the dirt and whole lot of body’s. Curious, I go in following the body trail. Then suddenly I find myself face to face with this huge shape. Turned out to be a bear. But not ordinary bear. A zombie bear. But I did not know that at the time as I already hightailed it out of there.

Once I was safe I realized that it was a zombie bear and that it was a sleeper. That it was still asleep, which the only reason I was still breathing.

But as I am thinking about this I hear some smashing and roaring from down below.

I look down to find that the bear woke up to catch me only to get stuck. It was so fat the thing was stuck in one of the doorways. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

I went down, killed it and finished clearing the house.

Hello, I am Guenni from Germany and have been reading here for some time. It's time for my first post (please excuse my English):

First of all I would like to thank you for this great game, there is no other survival game in my collection that has even approximately 1500 hours of playing time as 7DTD has. And after about 500 hours in A.17 I see 7DTD on the right track, at least for me.

I think it's right and important that as a developer you don't lose sight of your goal of what the game should look like in the end, even if this doesn't always meet with the approval of the community. However, it's also important to respond to players' tips and wishes, especially with a community as dedicated as this one. And if this exchange benefits the game, and I think that often happens here, then this is "Early Access" as it should be.

It would be great if I could create and manage several savegames directly in the main menu, without having to copy/paste them manually from the save folder, for which I always have to quit the game first.

Keep up the good work!

Welcome to the forum Guenni! And super glad to see you are enjoying the game.

You can keep a separate window open for the save games and make backups every so often. I actually copy the 'saves' folder to "DDD-LLL; Description" DDD = Day, LLL = Character level.

You don't need to quit - although exiting to the menu is a good idea (but you don't HAVE to.) There are things (minibike anyone!) that take some time to get updated in the save - so be prepared to wander back to look for your vehicle if it's not there if you reload.

Heck, it's a good idea to get off/out of the vehicle. I've had a 'few' restores where it just hangs with you in the vehicle - and you can't exit. (the vehicle or the game - except through the command line - which still works. Teleporting does not.)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks we try to do both. What do you mean by manage? I have several save games and can load them from the menu now.

I would love that, it's a real pain that tiny crosshair you know. And I love the 4K resolution, so much more detail.

There's a simple solution guys ... download a crosshair mod that pops up over your window. You can customize it any size or color, and it shows up in the middle of your screen. I have a nice pretty pink one that's easy to see.

This is the one I use, I'm sure there are others, but I know this one works with higher resolutions.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?75096-External-Crosshair-Mod&highlight=xcrosshair

Occlusion was not pushed back. When it is done it should be in whatever the next major release is. That would not be A17.x, since A17 is pretty much in bug fix mode at this point. The more we work on A18, the harder it is to branch fixes back to A17, so I'm all for getting A18 out the door and stop fiddling with A17.

Agree! Bring on the next Kraken! The new and improved Kraken! The orange vanilla Kraken! Or the even better mint chocolate chip Kraken!

Right, whenever I start a new game I can select it later in the menu. Or I copy/paste a game in the save folder and rename it (e.g. Backup).

More practical would be a Quicksave option while playing to save the current game.

For example, if I start risky base rebuilds and my entire base collapses, I can quickly jump back and try again.

MM, desert looks -really- nice! Kudos to you and the art team :)

and... is it just me or is there a kind of Slingblade looking old man looking out from the top of the middle hill...?

(and that's a 'yay!' bit cause real nature always has the hidden figures while most 'people made' stuff doesn't :) )

Oh my fault, the quote tag was mistakely moved.

the part "Hmm, I we will not see it in A18" was not my text but the guys I reacted to.

He said we will not see the fix even in A18. I refered to your post for showing that he is probable wrong.

That's not how I read it. I believe he meant: it's broken in A17, but won't be [broken] in A18.

Pretty sure he's inferring it'll be fixed soon enough, as Joe demonstrated.

EDIT: lol, nevermind, my screen hadn't updated to show others had pointed this out.

Archived