Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@Madmole... are the perlin caves permanently shelved? They were in ages ago, yanked, we were told they would return, and then bupkis for several years now.

Coupled with randomly scattered sleepers, they would add a lot of diverse gameplay.

I think most people want to see the return of 60 fps without hitches more than that. We're not adding anything that is going to put us in reverse. If the occlusion works out it might see a return someday.

Just read Aldranon`s post and imagined how his autominer loses control and starts doing caves all around.

We need caves, cmon.

"Make your own story... I mean caves" lol. Sorry had to say that, I get tired of lame games saying that.

I think most people want to see the return of 60 fps without hitches more than that. We're not adding anything that is going to put us in reverse. If the occlusion works out it might see a return someday.

At least thats some hope. I suppose some large underground pois would suffice in the mean time.

I would think caves would just add to rgw generation time... blocks are pretty much blocks, and if need be the caves could just be empty with maybe just stalactites and stalagmites... maybe a scattered occasional underground cavern poi or two? The occulusion would handle overhead, I'd think.

(We started minecraft again to try the new raids, and the underground made us want caverns in 7 days again.)

MadMole,

The Mod 'Weighted Head' says it is for Medium and Heavy Melee Weapons. Are there any medium melee weapons? In my experience the only weapon that mod works on is Sledges.

If there are no medium melee weapons currently, is there a plan to add any?

Thank you!

MadMole,

The Mod 'Weighted Head' says it is for Medium and Heavy Melee Weapons. Are there any medium melee weapons? In my experience the only weapon that mod works on is Sledges.

If there are no medium melee weapons currently, is there a plan to add any?

Thank you!

No plans for any new weapon classes. I'm assuming that meant "clubs".

EDIT: I know it works on tools like pickaxes, and maybe the fireaxe too. So maybe that is what it meant. We probably need to adjust the localization to be more clear.

Joel, what do you think about this? Rust developers beat you?

Please do not give up !!!

If all we had was pvp then I'm sure we'd add that. We might add it, its just not on the A18 plate right now. Once Robert is done with RWG he can start adding more game play. Right now our community wants RWG badly not one new class for a special reload function that only works on one weapon.

Probably never. There are loads of AAA games that fudge this. Half life was the only one that did it right that I've played.

There are a lot of games that implement this feature.Even if you can’t realize it perfectly and worry about it, I think that this is the moment when the main thing is the possibility to do it, and not the quality of the performance. By the way a quality can always be improved in the future ;)

If all we had was pvp then I'm sure we'd add that. We might add it, its just not on the A18 plate right now. Once Robert is done with RWG he can start adding more game play. Right now our community wants RWG badly not one new class for a special reload function that only works on one weapon.

Then there is hope after all? ):jaded:

"Make your own story... I mean caves" lol. Sorry had to say that, I get tired of lame games saying that.

Fully understand you, mister. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

And ziplines.. never forget

Take Roland`s zipline. He is hanging on his suspiciously long time.

Or he just enjoy it. :)

@MM, On behalf of the modding community we vote that you guys carry on with optimizations. Every FPS gain from these efforts means more things we can do or add that will use all that new FPS.

Do you want more FPS to be able to reduce it more? )))

Do you want more FPS to be able to reduce it more? )))

Exactly. While the intent isn't to reduce FPS as a goal, many things modders want to do impact FPS. For example, we have almost a dozen new AI Classes to implement, and those take resources. Additional cameras take resources. Having hordes of 300+ zombies will take resources. Those are all things available but out of the reach of players without powerful computers until MM's optimizations are in.

Probably never. There are loads of AAA games that fudge this. Half life was the only one that did it right that I've played.

Saves me the time of making my own post since we are talkin Shotty's, have the animations changed?

I think the Long Barrel Shotty should be a Semi-Auto, No Pump Animation, like hunting Ducks...

The Short Barrel Shotty should have the Pump Animation and not the Long 1.

Now lets talk Tools & Repairing, I feel we should add the Degradation back for Repairing. Being able to Repair a Tool back to 100% just doesn't feel right to me or Unrealistic...Arrrggghhh

+1 for procedural caves.

The tech (terrain generation) is there, and those types of POIs are fun to explore, as observable in Minecraft.

Overall its not really hard to implement, and a pretty rewarding feature for the game.

Its not that the whole underground needs to be littered by procedural caves. Just something like 8 caves for a 4k map, 32 for an 8k map.

+1 for procedural caves.

The tech (terrain generation) is there, and those types of POIs are fun to explore, as observable in Minecraft.

Overall its not really hard to implement, and a pretty rewarding feature for the game.

Its not that the whole underground needs to be littered by procedural caves. Just something like 8 caves for a 4k map, 32 for an 8k map.

I don't think they would be as good as you might expect. Due to the structural integrity system, the most they could possibly do are small tunnels. You wouldn't get those impressive cave systems like in Minecraft with huge underground ravines and such. With these limitations (structural integrity is a fantastic system in this game and I hate to call it a limitation, but in this regard, it is the limiting factor), they are better off making a few POI caverns systems that are randomly selected from and randomly placed.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of games that implement this feature.Even if you can’t realize it perfectly and worry about it, I think that this is the moment when the main thing is the possibility to do it, and not the quality of the performance. By the way a quality can always be improved in the future ;)

You forget that he enjoys mainly Bethesda games, which are for the most part, fudged

I don't think they would be as good as you might expect. Due to the structural integrity system, the most they could possibly do are small tunnels. You wouldn't get those impressive cave systems like in Minecraft with huge underground ravines and such. With these limitations (structural integrity is a fantastic system in this game and I hate to call it a limitation, but in this regard, it is the limiting factor), they are better off making a few POI caverns systems that are randomly selected from and randomly placed.

But structural integrity is broken. If enough blocks are involved, nothing will collapse. This is a bug when it results in floating structures.

However this allows for huge underground cavities that never collapse. Just try to dig at bedrock level and check it for yourself, you won't be able to collapse everything. So randomly generated caves are actually feasible, and, let's face it, desirable.

But structural integrity in broken. If enough blocks are involved, nothing will collapse. This is a bug when it results in floating structures.

However this allows for huge underground cavities that never collapse. Just try to dig at bedrock level and check it for yourself, you won't be able to collapse everything. So randomly generated caves are actually feasible, and, let's face it, desirable.

So you want them to add in features that can exist because of a bug?

@MM, On behalf of the modding community we vote that you guys carry on with optimizations. Every FPS gain from these efforts means more things we can do or add that will use all that new FPS.

Good then you guys can listen to everyone cry about your performance problems :)

Caves collapsing: thats more a question how the structural integrity calculation are implemented.

The game could assume anything at gamestart (terrain dirt voxels) to have full structural integrity, and ignore any calculations.

Only dirt-voxels (and other voxels) that are PLAYER placed, (or near player made changes), are marked to be considered in the SI calculations. E.g.: only player-placed dirt can fall apart.

POI voxels (apart from the soil) can be handled like now.

Ignoring any dirt-voxels from the gamestart would allow any number of crazy caves, without them falling apart.

The cave-generator just needs to make them structurally meaningfull at generation time.

---

POI caves are the other options. There are already a number of them included.

This approach works as well ... but requires more manual work by POI designers at the end to have a decent variety.

<snipped for space>

They would still collapse as soon as you farted near them. You've delayed the problem, not solved it.

The cave generator needs to guarantee a minimum structural integrity for each block otherwise you're curing the symptom, not the disease.

It's certainly possible but also time-consuming, there are higher priorities.

Archived