Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I hope A18 will be more stable. A17.4 is so crashy in multiplayer games during zombie hordes!

Your pc/ some of your clients are the problem. 7dtd a17 never crashed on me. Sometimes lags horribly in horde night and completely fills up the ram of one of my friends and freezes the game with the windows message at which point he only has to "wait until the program responds" and eventually it responds. He has 4 ram (below sys requirements).

I have minimum man: 8g ram (-5,9 gb usable) and a Gtx 660 . I play lowest and 1024x720. Never had a problem. Frame rate in the 60s and stable (fixed to screen refresh rate) and hordes no less than 15 FPS and if they are at 15fps the hickup doesn't last longer that 1 or 2 minutes.

Edit: It is very common to either get kicked or be closed in tha face from an online server. That's not a crash, just assadmin or bad timing.

Just a question, when will nerdpoling be removed, if it will be?

I hope it's never removed. It is an extremely useful tool to use for building. It would be annoying to have to constantly attach and remove ladders when building a base.

Your pc/ some of your clients are the problem. 7dtd a17 never crashed on me. Sometimes lags horribly in horde night and completely fills up the ram of one of my friends and freezes the game with the windows message at which point he only has to "wait until the program responds" and eventually it responds. He has 4 ram (below sys requirements).

I have minimum man: 8g ram (-5,9 gb usable) and a Gtx 660 . I play lowest and 1024x720. Never had a problem. Frame rate in the 60s and stable (fixed to screen refresh rate) and hordes no less than 15 FPS and if they are at 15fps the hickup doesn't last longer that 1 or 2 minutes.

Edit: It is very common to either get kicked or be closed in tha face from an online server. That's not a crash, just assadmin or bad timing.

1-2 minute hick up? how do you stand that!

I agree its your system. I have played with 10-30 players on servers and I have 100s of games played. A17.4 has been very stable. it can get a bit laggy if the server is not up to par and you PC sucks. :)

Intuitiveness is a myth. Remember shooters were a tutorial mission explains how to use a mouse klick to shoot and what the health bar means? If you think that is intuitive, why do they have that explanation? Because to someone who never played a shooter even that isn't self-explanatory.

In the previous months I started about a handful games for the first time and in each I had to do some trial and error (a JRPG and an adventure for example) or even reading (Oxygen not included) to understand game and UI. I even remember the first time I played Diablo (years ago) I didn't know what the red and blue bowl meant, but simply playing for a minute showed me.

My point: Intuitiveness is always about recognizing similarities to stuff you know. Red cross is the perfect example. And I bet you never would intuitively know what a blue bar means if you hadn't seen it in some other game before.

It follows that if you have something new in a game, you can make it more or less intuitive by showing where it is similar to stuff you know, but you can never really reach complete intuitiveness. Because there is something there that IS new and that part needs the players brain to understand. By trial and error, tutorial or explanation. Gamers are so used to using trial and error for that nowadays that we do that instinctively and often don't even remember that we did.

If there was no text beside the curved bars you would not know that the yellow bar means armor. Or one blue stamina and the other blue energy.

If it were not explained a player has no chance to intuitively understand a new function unless he saw something similar in another game. He will use trial and error or look it up.

And people with color blindness or color deficiency would have difficulty telling the colors of the bars apart especially the two blue ones.

I'm talking about the server/host seemingly randomly crashing/freezing during hordes. Not the OS, but 7DtD. All hosts are far above spec, 16GB RAM etc. We gave up because no matter what we tried and who was hosting or how many of us joined, it would always eventually freeze at some point even with no mods. Definitely related to multiplayer though as it's fine with just single player.

Blue Bar=Stamina

When black bar appears, fix with: food and/or water

Red Bar=Health

When black bar appears, fix with: basic bandage, med bandage, medkit

When gray bar appears, fix with: med bandage, medkit, pills or food

I hope this simplifies it for people having troubles. I never had an issue with current system but could see where it would be a problem for some. I’m just not sure you can make it more user-friendly without filling up the screen with more “stuff”. I’ll be interested to see how it’s addressed.

Why? Just use the M60. Why do you need it mounted?

whaaaat how dare you! lol joking.

Its super fun to fire a mounted weapon in real life and games. Mowing down zombies with a mounted weapon stationed for defense sounds wicked fun. this can aslo be used strategically in a base defense design. if everyone does not have an m60 or you lose yours for whatever reason. You know you have set up one at a strategic point that can be used for defense of the base or possible ambush/choke point against hostile players.

nerdpoling to the loot room

No plans to remove it because you can build ladders really fast and do the same thing, but we've talked about auto turrets in the loot room you would have to find the power to and disable.

I think I'm in favor of a simple system of Loot Multiplier Checkpoints placed in POIs.

Anyone could still skip ahead to the loot room and get some nice loot, but a player advancing through the POI as generally intended would trigger some invisible checkpoints that would effectively boost the loot amount up to the fully intended amount.

The checkpoints could be somewhat randomized like sleeper spawns, so that players can't go in with advanced knowledge of how to game that system.

The system would be totally behind the scenes, invisible to the player, with the effect that more loot is earned by role-playing than by trying to game the system

whaaaat how dare you! lol joking.

Its super fun to fire a mounted weapon in real life and games. Mowing down zombies with a mounted weapon stationed for defense sounds wicked fun. this can aslo be used strategically in a base defense design. if everyone does not have an m60 or you lose yours for whatever reason. You know you have set up one at a strategic point that can be used for defense of the base or possible ambush/choke point against hostile players.

I still don't get it. It's not powered like the turrets so what good is it? Just stand there with the M60.

So...In what Alpha do we get to use Solar and generators attached to the same circuit to boost power or have a minimal fall back to Solar/battery with a boost when turning on generator, or boosting available power to a circuit by tying 2-3 solar panels together?

Yes, I realize this is an attempt to sway/encourage this to be a part of the next Alpha (hint, hint). You're almost down to 90 MF Bugs so...what's a few more?

Archived