1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Blue Bar=Stamina

When black bar appears, fix with: food and/or water

Red Bar=Health

When black bar appears, fix with: basic bandage, med bandage, medkit

When gray bar appears, fix with: med bandage, medkit, pills or food

I hope this simplifies it for people having troubles. I never had an issue with current system but could see where it would be a problem for some. I’m just not sure you can make it more user-friendly without filling up the screen with more “stuff”. I’ll be interested to see how it’s addressed.

Thanks for the answer...although I got it worked out well and truly by the time of your response. :-)

But there are several satisfactory answers. When the world loads, have tool-tips interrupt the game (like the introductory notes) to explain it.

Or on the world loading screen, where it always says 'wood + sharp rock + plant fibres = stone axe'.

Have that cycle between several images, one being of the health/stamina bars with a description pointing to each place.

This image should also be able to be found easily in the help section.

Just have to be aware of the wording. It's perfect in the help section of the game.

Just thinking about this more...

TFP would need to make that special loot box at the end of the POI either:

- indestructible (like the silver chests in Terrraia), or

- make the contents break if the chest is broken open by force

Added to that, someone who has all the lockpick books could maybe gain the ability to pick the lock instead of find the key as a drop.

Exactly, indestructible like the trader. Just the loot room walls, floor, ceiling, door, boxes, etc.

I still don't get it. It's not powered like the turrets so what good is it? Just stand there with the M60.

being powered by electric doesnt always mean better... the M60 is a beast of a weapon both in game and RL. being how i used quite a few of the auto rifles/guns in the army... i prefer the m60 over the ak. but thats me and others will and can say different.

Look at my logo again, its Canada and USA and "LonestarCanuck" I am dual and the ammo was a humor.

I'm sorry if that wasn't obvious. Yes I saw that.

It wasn't meant as an insult. And I figured it was a joke (although I never really know... I've heard to much stupid ♥♥♥♥ :D)

Still... it was just a perfect match :D

- - - Updated - - -

being powered by electric doesnt always mean better... the M60 is a beast of a weapon both in game and RL. being how i used quite a few of the auto rifles/guns in the army... i prefer the m60 over the ak. but thats me and others will and can say different.

I know this probably won't make it in...

but I read something about a aimed, manual turretstand.

Wouldn't it be nice to give that weapon massive inaccuracy/recoil, that only lowers with weaponproficiency, but you can mount it on a stand and use it like an smg with high accuracy but much more damage?

I'd love that!

Blue Bar=Stamina

When black bar appears, fix with: food and/or water

Red Bar=Health

When black bar appears, fix with: basic bandage, med bandage, medkit

When gray bar appears, fix with: med bandage, medkit, pills or food

I hope this simplifies it for people having troubles. I never had an issue with current system but could see where it would be a problem for some. I’m just not sure you can make it more user-friendly without filling up the screen with more “stuff”. I’ll be interested to see how it’s addressed.

Yeah the problem with that solution is that water can't be the same as food. Water is abundant and you can take it home and make it infinite with a bucket. That's why I suggested a little more of info in the blue bar, like a food icon (for food, to clarify that stamina equals food) and somekind of regen number or % on par with a water icon or something like that inside the blue bar to give the player the info about water (water equals stamina regeneration rate).

Look at my logo again, its Canada and USA and "LonestarCanuck" I am dual and the ammo was a humor.

Yeh so basically he's a very polite gun owner. =)

- - - Updated - - -

It just doesn't fit with the current turrets, which require power.

Idea - Using diamonds on your solar panel array to boost power because of their magnifying ability. Can be added as a boost mod for it.

Also, could add lithium Ion batteries to the Solar panel to extend life/super charge power for horde night.

The discussion is about having a mounted, manual M60. I'm all for using the M60 itself. I'd even be in for an M60 turret. Just not a manual one.

Idea - Using diamonds on your solar panel array to boost power because of their magnifying ability. Can be added as a boost mod for it.

Also, could add lithium Ion batteries to the Solar panel to extend life/super charge power for horde night.

I have a mod that I been working on that used diamonds to make Diamond PickAxe, FireAxe, Shovel and soon Armor (after A18) its my Minecraft Mod :)

IMO it will need a design change, no amount of gui magic will fix this. Yes we want to make a great product that people talk about and are playing 5+ years after we're done, and give them a strong reason to buy the sequel.

I just decided that my favorite part of A18 is that it will be the last alpha to enjoy a really awesome survival system design. Here's hoping the new one in A19 will be just as cool too and not just functionally easy to understand.

That's rich coming from the guy that drops his bow on horde night 😉

But to be fair it is an honor to get roasted by Madmole himself lol

Touche. If you want more subscribers you can try dropping your bow sometime, it works wonders.

It means that nothing will be done to stop players from avoiding the bloodmoon if they want to.

Where do we mail our esc key to to receive the $100 you're giving out for them?

- - - Updated - - -

Touche. If you want more subscribers you can try dropping your bow sometime, it works wonders.

Lol you guys are funny.

Do y'all remember who it was that had that "um, um, er, um" tribute to MM? That was hysterical.

Also, on topic, are all of the book videos done? If so, what's the next showcase?

Madmole

I just looked at the block shape video again and wanted to know. Since you now removed the limitation for block count, and, provided the ability to add more blocks. I am mainly referring to stone, brick, and metal.

In the future releases is there a plan for semi destroyed blocks. I see this as having two uses. The first is like the POI;s that are rendered with blown out walls, these add to the theme of aftermath.

We could build more thematic poi's.

The second is when being attacked they could down grade progressively into destroyed visuals. Sort of like the progressive mask of the cracks now, except with a greater visual representation.

I know its purely visual, but imagine zombies all around, pounding on the walls

and crumbling holes begin to appear all around. As a reference, look at the shored up wood over metal doors.

So, I jump off a 4 block tall space and I break my leg... Really? :p

You do realize that its 160" or 13.3 feet. Lots of people break their leg just slipping and falling down. Maybe it was sprained already, or maybe you are referring to a sprain. Anyhow, its quite generous and there are perks to fall further and books.

Roland

****In your opinion, and using past versions as comparison, would you say

the game play is smooth as far as playing. I mean if a person is playing

as simple survival and does not pay attention to a perk or points until

absolutely needed. Or do you readily need to fight and try to get points

to be able to continue to play.

No way to say. For myself it plays smooth and naturally but I like the pace and I've never felt the need to rush for all the skillpoints. For those with low tolerance of the start of game abilities the slower pace will probably chafe a bit. There are no level gates so that helps things feel smooth since once you reach a particular tier you don't have to wait until you level to a certain point before taking it so definitely less waiting around with skillpoints you are saving to buy something you are locked out of. I think there will always be people who feel like they NEED to kill lots of zombies to get points faster.

Example I play the same as UnholyJoe, will it force me to change my game style.

I think all playstyles are well supported plus new ones that have never been viable before. I remember it being fun to play for a bit only punching zombies but it was never a real playstyle. Now it is.

Hopefully one of the balances in A18 is a slower progression towards those scary poop-yourself day running female zombies. She seems to run even faster than at night, and it's so hard to hit her. And then one knock from her and I'm stunned and got no chance.

Unless I'm armed with a 9mm to lay them down before she gets to me, then I'm dead. :-( But since those gals got introduced around level 27, my 9mm ammo has depleted, too.

I like a challenge, but want a way to avoid death, too. Maybe a jog speed, instead of run until ammo and armor can be built up?

does A18 have deployable rifle or machine gun bipods?

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully one of the balances in A18 is a slower progression towards those scary poop-yourself day running female zombies. She seems to run even faster than at night, and it's so hard to hit her. And then one knock from her and I'm stunned and got no chance.

Unless I'm armed with a 9mm to lay them down before she gets to me, then I'm dead. :-( But since those gals got introduced around level 27, my 9mm ammo has depleted, too.

I like a challenge, but want a way to avoid death, too. Maybe a jog speed, instead of run until ammo and armor can be built up?

I combat the screaming b*** with a shotty ;) Love me the shotgun.

From the videos, yes, something called a Junk Turret.

I was thinking more along the lines as an attachment for a carried weapon that can be physically deployed stopping mobility and providing a accuracy boost to the player.

EDIT: to be more specific turning the bipod mod in to a physical attachment that interacts with the game world.

Archived