Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Just a question, when will nerdpoling be removed, if it will be? Basically every 7D2D YouTuber I can think of utilizes this exploit to get to the loot room and thus bypass the majority of the threats within POI's.

No plans to remove it because you can build ladders really fast and do the same thing, but we've talked about auto turrets in the loot room you would have to find the power to and disable.

No plans to remove it because you can build ladders really fast and do the same thing, but we've talked about auto turrets in the loot room you would have to find the power to and disable.

Sounds good; I was just playing Devil's Advocate here (or speaking without an opinion).

That actually sounds very interesting (about the auto turrets). I cannot wait to see it in action, if it comes to fruition.

Sounds good, this one. If we need wire tool to disable it, would be good, will add more use and value to it.

thats the ticket... nothing like a surprise when you gain access to a room that doesnt have any zombies in it... ALL CLEAR ... OH S... run!! :)

If I may make a suggestion, maybe a switch that turns off the turret and have something like 3 or 4 possible spawn locations in a poi for said switch. The first time a poi is loaded the game picks 1 of the locations to spawn the switch at.

Sounds good, this one. If we need wire tool to disable it, would be good, will add more use and value to it.

i'd say no to requiring the regular wire tool... add a special tool just for quest for this that Does Not show the wires blinking lights. :)

@zombie... i thought of switch too but seems a bit too easy.

My favorite aspect of A18 are the books and schematics found in loot. Everything is more polished and plays smoother and RWG is great but reading a book and hearing the BWOOOOOOOOMMMMM is what makes me smile.

Thank you Madmole for bringing them back and better than ever.

Might as well make the chili not despawn when you eat it too so you can share it with everyone, turn on god mode and roll the credits. Why do you want your cake and eat it too? If everyone could share books everyone would have every perk in a team in like 3 days or something lame, and the desire to loot would go poof.

You are comparing apples with oranges. Books are not food, and there is no reason for them to despawn. Judging by the rarity of bookstores, books, and the amount of the new books you are adding, it is unlikely that everyone would have all books in a couple of days. Also books are not the only reason to loot, so your argument goes poof.

I guess the part with godmode and credits is just the friendly way you treat your customers by making a suggestion sound trivial and stupid. Thank you for your kind consideration.

i'd say no to requiring the regular wire tool... add a special tool just for quest for this that Does Not show the wires blinking lights. :)

That was on my mind, too, well, similar, but still, it is a concept.

Just, would be cool to be able to defend not only from zeds, but from a poi`s defense systems.

My favorite aspect of A18 are the books and schematics found in loot. Everything is more polished and plays smoother and RWG is great but reading a book and hearing the BWOOOOOOOOMMMMM is what makes me smile.

Thank you Madmole for bringing them back and better than ever.

What are your favourtes of the books, so far guys? (the ones that have access to A18 now)

What are your favourtes of the books, so far guys? (the ones that have access to A18 now)

i have no favorites when it comes to books, quests, schematics... i can get along with or without them... i do smile when i read them but i dont hate them or anything like that. i just wanna bash a zombie's head in... that's all i want to do :)

sorry that doesnt help much but that's my play style.

Intuitiveness is a myth.

If there was no text beside the curved bars you would not know that the yellow bar means armor. Or one blue stamina and the other blue energy.

If it were not explained a player has no chance to intuitively understand a new function unless he saw something similar in another game. He will use trial and error or look it up.

Intuitiveness in a UI though is a lot of things - it definitely takes advantage of the player's previous experiences but it's an art to be able to convey as much information as possible, making it easily readable and somewhat noticeable by peripheral vision, prioritizing visibility of more important information, in the least amount of space possible, in an aesthetically pleasing way, making it depend as little as possible on the player's previous experience and needing as little trial and error as possible as well etc etc.

The Forest's UI is just an example of a nice compact UI. The player doesn't even notice the discrete armor bar, as it's barely visible, but they immediately notice it when they wear some armor. It is very unlikely for the player to not be familiar with the universal health/stamina bars. The stomach/drop icon are self-explanatory. The energy bar is harder to get but the player is likely to understand what it is, before it even gets depleted for the first time, as they may correlate it with the stomach/drop icon.

It's not perfect but it's definitely a class above what we have in 7DTD. I think that there are a lot of ways to show a lot more information (without temp pop-ups) like health/thirst in a precise way so that the player immediately understands why their bar blackens and without bloating the UI or bombarding the player with something complex.

I'd rather see a 762 turret.

This has likely been suggested already, but are there any plans to make player-controlled mounted turrets? With the new M60s coming in, I could easily see LMGs being part of a recipe for making a placeable version that sits on a wall or ledge, can be picked up and moved, and has an attached ammo canister or something players can load with reserve ammo and use for horde night.

These would also be a great electricity-free solution for point defense.

EDIT: I'm imagining something like these guns from MW2 mp maps, albeit this is a gatling gun and not an M60

maxresdefault.jpg

You are comparing apples with oranges. Books are not food, and there is no reason for them to despawn. Judging by the rarity of bookstores, books, and the amount of the new books you are adding, it is unlikely that everyone would have all books in a couple of days. Also books are not the only reason to loot, so your argument goes poof.

I guess the part with godmode and credits is just the friendly way you treat your customers by making a suggestion sound trivial and stupid. Thank you for your kind consideration.

So let’s say we make them permanent. Can they be reread by the same person for further bonuses? How many times? If you make them readable only once then again you are not treating them the way books actually work. How about time? Do you like the instant bonus or are you in favor of having to sit for a period of time with a timer to actually “read” the book before you get the bonus. Because the instant bonus isn’t how books really work either.

The books work the way the game needs them to work and everyone has their own line in the sand for how immersive they are. I have no problem with them being consumed but you do. Maybe you are okay with only being able to read a book once but someone else calls foul on that. And perhaps there even exists one person in the world that would want the bonus to be delayed to simulate the time it takes to actually read.

Who gives a rip about that guy though....

You are comparing apples with oranges. Books are not food, and there is no reason for them to despawn. Judging by the rarity of bookstores, books, and the amount of the new books you are adding, it is unlikely that everyone would have all books in a couple of days.

Playing multiplayer co-op is already a HUGE advantage compared to single-player. So there is an obvious and compelling balancing reason for them to despawn.

I have an idea (I don't know how possible it is though)

Maybe you can make 1 of the Z's in the POI drop a key when killed (or make it drop in some container inside the POI) to open the loot room door/boxes, that would make the player sneak/loot for the key or blast the Z's to find it. No tricks, just grind.

Maybe in some Military POI's you can find a Magnetic Card that opens some kind of bunker with lots of loot.

This has likely been suggested already, but are there any plans to make player-controlled mounted turrets? With the new M60s coming in, I could easily see LMGs being part of a recipe for making a placeable version that sits on a wall or ledge, can be picked up and moved, and has an attached ammo canister or something players can load with reserve ammo and use for horde night.

I concur. ^

@zombie... i thought of switch too but seems a bit too easy.

Disagree. Not another one-use item filling your inventory.

How about a specific weak spot on or preferably near the turret you can shoot or break? So you either can take the turret frontal, build a wall or try to locate the weak spot (which could be visible from specific angles only). I agree with a previous poster though, the location should be randomized, maybe with the same mechanism that loot boxes are distributed.

EDIT: I'm imagining something like these guns from MW2 mp maps, albeit this is a gatling gun and not an M60

maxresdefault.jpg

Junk Turret! can be crafted. can be placed on a wall. can be picked up and even used like a gun. requires no electric and no dang brass involved for ammo. :)

just scrap junk into iron scraps and craft the ammo (cheap) but is not a weapon to beat all weapon.. go into poi set it own and if a zed comes in ... well there ya go... its backup protection. :)

You are comparing apples with oranges. Books are not food, and there is no reason for them to despawn. <snip> I guess the part with godmode and credits is just the friendly way you treat your customers by making a suggestion sound trivial and stupid. Thank you for your kind consideration.

What about the added benefits of online play? examples, trading with other players for books, going out with friends to find that 1 book, finding a book a friend has been looking for and sayin' "guess what i found for you". These help make the game more injoyable when playing with others. Allowing books to be shared multiple times would take away far more joy and experiences than it would bring for online play.

EDIT: And Madmole's response was not kind nor rube, it was a flat tone matter of fact response. Not everyone is going to feel the same exact way you do. Sometimes your opinion or suggestion on a game machanic is going to be rejected by a dev or member of TFP team, don't take it personally and respond in a passive aggressive manner.

Roland

****In your opinion, and using past versions as comparison, would you say

the game play is smooth as far as playing. I mean if a person is playing

as simple survival and does not pay attention to a perk or points until

absolutely needed. Or do you readily need to fight and try to get points

to be able to continue to play.

Example I play the same as UnholyJoe, will it force me to change my game style.

Also for RWG, within the splat3 city layout, 17.0 199 the city terrain was

uneven apocalyptic. This I liked because I couldnt readily see all the POI

layout, but the map layout was an X shaped format, and similar to the mini hublayouts from a16.4.

Then in 17.4 the splat took advantage of the flats for city terrain making them larger more robust, plus I have 25 cities that nearly cover the map but leave enough wilderness for it to be wilderness. My seed in 17.4 is letstryagian spelled like that. Long story why . Is the map layout more a16.4 rwg,a17.0, or a17.4 in your a18 playthrough. If you want i can post my pic comparisons to show what i mean.

Archived