Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I use compound bow using...metal arrows, i forget what they are called most of the time 1 hit kill to the head with the right perks selected. sometimes the zombie i target wakes up but another shot or two in the head will put them down without waking the others. I hide in the shadows as well should the targeted z wake, it will not know where i am attacking from. also, i always attack and move around while in a poi in the crouched position in order to be less visible and remain silent and get the x damage from a perk. I forget the names of all the perks or i would list them off.

Yeah, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm only week 2 into the game so far and haven't chosen the stealth and archery perks. I find it more useful (or at least less frustrating) to focus on strength and stamina, as well as important things like master chef, pack mule, and the necessary steps to get a bike made.

Yeah, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm only week 2 into the game so far and haven't chosen the stealth and archery perks. I find it more useful (or at least less frustrating) to focus on strength and stamina, as well as important things like master chef, pack mule, and the necessary steps to get a bike made.

your focus list is all the same perks or perks within that category that I invest in from level 1-20. I do not really play stealthy till mid game due to the same reason.

You are comparing apples with oranges. Books are not food, and there is no reason for them to despawn. Judging by the rarity of bookstores, books, and the amount of the new books you are adding, it is unlikely that everyone would have all books in a couple of days. Also books are not the only reason to loot, so your argument goes poof.

I guess the part with godmode and credits is just the friendly way you treat your customers by making a suggestion sound trivial and stupid. Thank you for your kind consideration.

To be fair, it was a very poor suggestion, but I will go to great length to explain my comment:

My intent was not to insult you, but to stomp out the desire and CULTURE for everything to be easy, because I can assure you that you do NOT want it to be easy. If you get it easy, it has zero value. We finally have a 100 hour game without building a giant city or something unrelated to survival and core game play, and your request would turn it into trivial addition instead of a rewarding well balanced system.

Is it unrealistic the book goes poof when you read it? Of course it is, but fun, challenge and reward always trump realism. A large team could share knowledge and reach end game in a week and everyone on that team would be OP having every collector perk unlocked. They would also be bored, because finding new schematics and books is a TON of fun and when you run out of them well what do you do now? If they could be shared, it would make the whole thing trivial.

Right now the whole system is perfect. You can mod it like you suggest very easily, but I can assure you its a bad idea.

From one gamer to another I want you to have the most fun possible, and I think we have the best design now.

What are your favourtes of the books, so far guys? (the ones that have access to A18 now)

The magnum better barter one, never encumbered at night, can craft AP ammo. Ammo bundles are amazing, 20% discount of ammo is awesome plus you can carry 500 rounds of 762 in one stack of 5 ammo bundles. Open as needed.

I have an idea (I don't know how possible it is though)

Maybe you can make 1 of the Z's in the POI drop a key when killed (or make it drop in some container inside the POI) to open the loot room door/boxes, that would make the player sneak/loot for the key or blast the Z's to find it. No tricks, just grind.

Maybe in some Military POI's you can find a Magnetic Card that opens some kind of bunker with lots of loot.

Keys would only work in a game that isn't fully destroyable.

The magnum better barter one, never encumbered at night, can craft AP ammo. Ammo bundles are amazing, 20% discount of ammo is awesome plus you can carry 500 rounds of 762 in one stack of 5 ammo bundles. Open as needed.

joel what you just said with the 20% discount of ammo are there any books that increase ammo on sale at the trader? this is just a curiosity

I've seen you've extended the game some but will there be any changes to help make the game more of a challenge aside from one more zombie or will it be more focused on making things a little easier... er I mean QOL changes like Less worries about stamina, Less zombies in poi's, Less single zombie block damage, Easier ways to kill large groups of zombies, Ability to carry more ammo and make it for less, etc..

Sigh, the whole game can't be designed around the mythical "new player" not having to learn anything at all. If that is the new design philosophy then all games just become pale copies of each other. Sure it is possible to go to far and make stuff so complex it is just a pain to a) learn and b) keep track of. BUT, every game doesn't have to be as simple as a FPS and just click and forget every single feature.

I expect some complex systems I'll have to figure out when I pick a game billing itself as a survival game. I don't think I'm alone in that expectation. It's been a staple of the genre for years and years and the genre hasn't died out so.....

- - - Updated - - -

His point is that to make multiplayer at all difficult books would have to be so rare that the game wouldn't be playable solo. Making them single use fixes that issue.

Most players want to do stuff, not read tutorials and feel stuck. A survival game simply means you might need to eat and drink, and somehow survive, otherwise bad things happen. Like you don't load a save game, you respawn with loss, etc. It doesn't mean "expect some poorly designed game mechanics because mostly indy devs are developing this genre".

At the end of the day players want to have fun without wikis or struggling to understand things. You don't need to reinvent the wheel to stand out, just making a great product will do that on its own, as long as you have something no other game has or a combination of existing features laid out in a new way works quite well too.

I just decided that my favorite part of A18 is that it will be the last alpha to enjoy a really awesome survival system design. Here's hoping the new one in A19 will be just as cool too and not just functionally easy to understand.

I had an idea to display a "critical injury" debuff with a number representing your damaged health now that we have the new cvar system for buffs. Then you would see, that read about it in the debuffs page, and it could say "Critical injury: Use medkits or bandages to heal this" then it would be more straight forward. As you heal that and the number shrinks, your health bars black spot would go away.

Thanks, mate.

You had previously mentioned about having to scroll the toolbelt.

Here is how I lay mine out for what its worth while I'm exploring or clearing a POI. I arrange it in such a way that best optimizes the interaction flow for my playstyle.

Note that I have a mouse that has 2 additional buttons on the left side I can click with my right thumb within 1/4 second.

my fallback weapon (shotgun) I bind to thumb mouse button 1

my stealth weapon I bind to thumb mouse button 2

also forgot to edit in but i always carry a melee weapon in that slot.

When I'm looting a poi I'll add something that heals me in the free slot for quick access.

The way I arrange the slots and bind those 2 keys help reduce the overall total number of times i scroll in order to reach the desired slot on the toolbelt in a given hour.

20190821152705-1.jpg

Where do we mail our esc key to to receive the $100 you're giving out for them?

- - - Updated - - -

Lol you guys are funny.

Do y'all remember who it was that had that "um, um, er, um" tribute to MM? That was hysterical.

Also, on topic, are all of the book videos done? If so, what's the next showcase?

That video was stupid, but I did get a few laughs.

But seriously, I suppose that is what I get for recording my vids in one take and no editing and no script. I think I'm getting a little better about it now but I don't know, I don't listen to my videos either. I will probably upload the wrong one sometime lol.

You had previously mentioned about having to scroll the toolbelt.

Here is how I lay mine out for what its worth. I arrange it in such a way that best optimizes the interaction flow for my playstyle.

Note that I have a mouse that has 2 additional buttons on the left side I can click with my right thumb within 1/4 second.

my fallback weapon (shotgun) I bind to thumb mouse button 1

my stealth weapon I bind to thumb mouse button 2

also forgot to edit in but i always carry a melee weapon in that slot.

The way I arrange the slots and bind those 2 keys help reduce the overall total number of times i use scholl button in a given hour.

20190821152705-1.jpg

I can see you are lefthanded just by seing that. Interesting thing the human brain.

Madmole

I just looked at the block shape video again and wanted to know. Since you now removed the limitation for block count, and, provided the ability to add more blocks. I am mainly referring to stone, brick, and metal.

In the future releases is there a plan for semi destroyed blocks. I see this as having two uses. The first is like the POI;s that are rendered with blown out walls, these add to the theme of aftermath.

We could build more thematic poi's.

The second is when being attacked they could down grade progressively into destroyed visuals. Sort of like the progressive mask of the cracks now, except with a greater visual representation.

I know its purely visual, but imagine zombies all around, pounding on the walls

and crumbling holes begin to appear all around. As a reference, look at the shored up wood over metal doors.

We would like to do a new destruction system but will probably save it for a future game.

Archived