Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

this is waaay of topic but frickin' tornado started forming right over my house. I looked out my window and everything was going up instead of down. I have never seen anything like that in my life! (heart racing still) I got my camera ready so if it happens again ima catch it on film.... If you never see another post from me you know why ha ha.... jesus almighty that was frickin' scary yo

I hope you are still breathing. I drove head on into a tornado once, it was insane just driving a few blocks to get to the bunker.

Here's a good question for Madmole and the gang:

What stats are randomized for A18 and are there additional stats planned for future builds?

Ummm probably about every stat on clothing, weapons, armor, tools. No new stats. Maybe radiation protection.

If People don't ask the hard questions who will? :)

heck in the OLD days we collided with everything.

Back in the OLD days, we carried our bicycles to save wear on the tires.

And if I'm lying, may the good Lord strike me down with heath, wealth and an early copy of A18...

Nope. Its here to stay.

I see what your doing there! :)

There will soon be no way to game the system into becoming stronger than your GS (trying to keep the game a challenge? I approve!).

But, there is a counter intuitive, non-cheating (Its an option setting) way to be potentially stronger than your GS that I might try on my second or third play though.

What's a 'demolisher' ... ?:excitement:

Basically, a future item on the list below. ;)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?71414-All-the-gates

@sillls

So what is different about occlusion of Alpha-18?

Afaik it prevents hidden objects or geometry from being rendered. Opaque blocks may completely cover other blocks/geometry from the player's perspective. So blocks behind don't have to be computed.

I just got electricity set up and was immediately underwhelmed at my lights, I think they have cookie shadow casters on them leaving an ugly black wall. I'll be improving them tomorrow and every thing else I get my hands on that doesn't feel right. Electric lights are a downgrade from torches and even candles, so I'm fixing it. Nothing beats playing the game and seeing all these little issues first hand. I'm dedicated to giving you guys an awesome mid and late game, early game is awesome for sure already.

Yes! I was hoping one of your plays makes it to the electrical stage. It's such a great system with huge potential but so many shortcomings, like the dim lights and power source chaining as well, as you probably will notice, seeing that you like to build big :)

It would also be great to get a central element, perhaps accessible with the interact button, to get a wheel like a switchboard.

The big ass manual levers do leave something to be desired for. Perhaps even be able to configure all devices on the grid? Adjusting a big installation can take quite some effort. Not that I mind. But it would sure feel great, just like after finally getting in home music streaming to really work :)

I just got electricity set up and was immediately underwhelmed at my lights, I think they have cookie shadow casters on them leaving an ugly black wall. I'll be improving them tomorrow and every thing else I get my hands on that doesn't feel right. Electric lights are a downgrade from torches and even candles, so I'm fixing it. Nothing beats playing the game and seeing all these little issues first hand. I'm dedicated to giving you guys an awesome mid and late game, early game is awesome for sure already.

I am still alive. few trees went down like 20 or so blocks from me. I guess the tornado actually touched down like 5 minutes later. my sister sent me some pics.

This is sweet music to my ears as I love having lights in my base and never did like the fact they were, imo, kinda dim.

i am here in arkansas and a little while ago was waiting for my day 28 BM and the game blasted the thunder... but as usual, we are or were at the time in a severe storm warning and the same damn time the thunder cracked in RL... it also cracked in game... the timing was perfect.

Talk about a game being immersive lol.

Love to hear lighting is getting an overhaul I love the scare in these games and would love to make a build showing the zombie coming for you but you can’t see so well cuz of lights... zombies in light running then out of light hitting the traps then in light again oh no your defenders didn’t work in these and then zombies hit your last defense before you... and you can’t see them till they are in your face the only light behind you and your shadow and the structure bars before you casting more shadow onto the zombies! Creeepyyyy O_O ... sorry I’m a little of a weirdo LOL 😂 dude when I make this build with new lighting I’m inviting my friends for hoarde night and going to just laugh my ass off at them lol 😂

Nothing wrong with them. They match every other UI, I really can't see why they would need changed. This is the kind of stuff people are hating on us about, we need to add content, not redo old stuff that works just fine. The icons are blurry at some resolutions so I think its good to redo them.

Looks about the same to me, a semi transparent grey square. The hd icons will help ours for sure. I just don't see any value in redoing the UI again dude. Its shippable to me this is apples vs oranges. I'd rather redo it in the next game where it might actually matter to someone. Nobody cares about the UI, they just want the game finished. We didn't promise 5 UI iterations in kickstarter lol. Could it be better? Probably, but I'd give it a B+ and we're not redoing anything unless its a C or D.

It's great someone changed its mind :)

Just wait, A19 :)

Its not new, its more of a reskin. Looks nice though.

Oh this makes me very happy. Will the spotlights get some love too? :)

Or even better, can brightness and falloff be xml settings? (and conesize for the spotlights)

Nope I wouldn't consider something that would not benefit performance. You can set your texture to 1/4 and see what kind of gains you might get. It will be minimal unless you have complete potato of a rig which you don't. All the performance loss is from the Unity character controller and the A* pathing over a voxel world. You can drop 1,000 static mesh zombies in a unity scene if you have the time and it will run fine IMO. Turn on 50 unity character controllers (their physics, collision, ragdoll components, skeletons, mechanim controler etc) and pathing and and watch your FPS tank.

I think we've done some optimizing on this front since 17, but it kind of is what it is and without getting unity source and rewritting a stripped down controller we probably won't be seeing a ton of gains.

I can only assume your team did a lot more researching than I did on the matter and has already found all that I could find in a couple of minutes but just in case :

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/kinematic-character-controller-99131

There are schematics that unlock crafting that some perks can do, but the perk typically has something else it does that the schematic won't. So if you think perk books are just a free perk point you are wrong. They aren't even anything to do with perks, they are their own thing that augment your character in over 100 ways.

The old perk books gave you a rank in a perk, they were horrible and were deleted as they were just filler content until we could do this new book system.

Ahhhh! Right! Schematics was what I was thinking of.

Yeah no I see how that would work better than a simple +1.

Totally on board with that.

For me, though A16s HNs were quite a bit more fun, it was certainly possible to make impregnegatable bases, and maybe that was the problem.

You built bases, only to leave it when they came inside? I mean... I guess I do that too when I get overrun... :D still a weird way to speak of your base ^^

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Impregnegate

Here's a good question for Madmole and the gang:

What stats are randomized for A18 and are there additional stats planned for future builds?

Some. Many. It's complicated. =P

More can and should be randomised but it's issue of finding the time to carefully consider the type and scale of each such bonus.

This can also be added in an 18.x patch if time runs out. It's just additional polishing.

I supposed there is some game play application there. We can always add some pre-colored lights but it would be more elegant letting you have a color picker.

Underground alarm system was my first thing that I build back, when you guys released electricity. Adding color picker for lights would be one of the best additions in electricity, maybe a couple of more siren sounds too...

Or was it called speaker, anyway, keep up the great job.

Archived