Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I just got electricity set up and was immediately underwhelmed at my lights, I think they have cookie shadow casters on them leaving an ugly black wall. I'll be improving them tomorrow and every thing else I get my hands on that doesn't feel right. Electric lights are a downgrade from torches and even candles, so I'm fixing it. Nothing beats playing the game and seeing all these little issues first hand. I'm dedicated to giving you guys an awesome mid and late game, early game is awesome for sure already.

MM, PLEASE check out the spotlights.. I've been complaining about them since at least a15. The streetlights cast a perfect distance and intensity that the spotlights should have. In a14 I even readded the craftables ones, added rotation, and used them in their stead.

The current ones don't cast very far, and I'd think they should cast no less than two or three times the distance away.

I just got electricity set up and was immediately underwhelmed at my lights, I think they have cookie shadow casters on them leaving an ugly black wall. I'll be improving them tomorrow and every thing else I get my hands on that doesn't feel right. Electric lights are a downgrade from torches and even candles, so I'm fixing it. Nothing beats playing the game and seeing all these little issues first hand. I'm dedicated to giving you guys an awesome mid and late game, early game is awesome for sure already.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Any fix to spot lights? I feel there light throw is, well, not the greatest and where the light goes initially is weird

New light fixes might be a good short video. One of the issues I recall with a17 was the small player point lights only illuminating a short distance away, so they were pretty worthless for horde nights. We ended up just going back to torches for horde nights.

Regarding the wires topic, how about this:

wires are normally visible by everyone, however if you buy the perk, or find the schematics, you are able to place "invisible" wires. Such wires are only visible when holding a wire tool. Simple design MM

Wires serve zero gameplay purpose (you don't cut wires to disable someone's power, you interface with the powered object) so why make it confusing and have it behind a perk? I'd either leave it alone or change it so they only show when you have a wire tool out, leaning on "leave it alone" tbh.

thanks for this feature I think it will come in very handy nice perk!

Meh. I have enough food for 50 people, but that might change muahahahahaa. Food poisoning is back and it empties your stomach from throwing up, so finally I can have a use for my 5000 pounds of food. Canned food has no chance for food poisoning, but all cooked and raw food have a small chance that something rotten got in there.

Really good to hear you've progressed to the electrics MM. Looking forward to hearing about your experiances with traps!

One other bit about Spotlights I've run into; their base ~legs. Seems I always have them up fairly high so they get pointed downward and wind up with the base-legs casting rather big shadows (I usually mount them on 1/4 blocks to avoid even larger shadows).

I'm guessing that since they share the same mechanic to aim as the turrets they can't use the advanced rotation to allow wall or ceiling mounting? Not a huge deal, definately a 'polish' bit :)

You built bases, only to leave it when they came inside? I mean... I guess I do that too when I get overrun... :D still a weird way to speak of your base ^^

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Impregnegate

heh :) I thought that spelling was a bit weird... meant "impregnable"

(though since a 'base' is kinda all about "protection" ... well... I -thought- I was safe! lol )

Everyone is sooooooooooo fixated on bandits, which is a cool idea btw. However I am more intrigued on the status on A18 EXP release. Last week there were 40+ MFs still to be worked on (i can't remember) i am curious to see an update on the progress of A18 and when we could possibly see it release. thanks in advance!

New light fixes might be a good short video. One of the issues I recall with a17 was the small player point lights only illuminating a short distance away, so they were pretty worthless for horde nights. We ended up just going back to torches for horde nights.

Torches are 10 meters, simple light bulbs 12, industrial light bulb and light 16, fluorescent is now 20 meters. Costs are 5w, 7 w and 10w. I didn't look at spot lights I thought they were adjusted to be ok in 17 but I can have another look.

Are there any plans to add more basic traps and trap designs as some one who is a base builder the current ones leave much to be desired an the whole build acres of spikes around your base situation we have now doesn't feel that great? On a second note have the zombies pathing when it comes to spike traps been worked on as it stands in A17 they will make a 1 wide tunnel through spikes to get to the wall and that is way less satisfying compared to A16 where they would slam like a wave across your spikes getting closer and closer?

Meh. I have enough food for 50 people, but that might change muahahahahaa. Food poisoning is back and it empties your stomach from throwing up, so finally I can have a use for my 5000 pounds of food. Canned food has no chance for food poisoning, but all cooked and raw food have a small chance that something rotten got in there.

sounds interesting

Wires serve zero gameplay purpose (you don't cut wires to disable someone's power, you interface with the powered object) so why make it confusing and have it behind a perk? I'd either leave it alone or change it so they only show when you have a wire tool out, leaning on "leave it alone" tbh.

I'd rather they were hidden. It's immersion breaking to me to see them. *I* would have routed the wires out of the freaking walkway not leave them arcing down like that.

Could this be tied to the cooking skill where each rank reduces risk of food poisoning at least?

I hope you leave them alone; hiding wires from others also means hiding powered traps, generators, etc... If players want to hide them they can place blocks over them to simulate putting them in walls.

I'd rather they were hidden. It's immersion breaking to me to see them. *I* would have routed the wires out of the freaking walkway not leave them arcing down like that.

So seeing wires hanging around on a post-apocalyptic survival base is "immersion-breaking", but having electrical stuff work magically with no visible wires wouldn't be?

You have a strange definition of "immersion".

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you leave them alone; hiding wires from others also means hiding powered traps, generators, etc... If players want to hide them they can place blocks over them to simulate putting them in walls.

Yes, exactly. Wire placement and camouflage can be important in PVP.

This sounds great! Any way to make food sterile at greater cost? Maybe add nitrate or something?

That would be great. Not needed... But I like that Canned food is now the preffered method of eating. Really changes the flow of foodproduction.

heh :) I thought that spelling was a bit weird... meant "impregnable"

(though since a 'base' is kinda all about "protection" ... well... I -thought- I was safe! lol )

I'm not native... but that is not right either :D

I think what you mean is impenetrable (nothing getting through)

So hiding wires would solve a game problem that doesn't exist.

...people's REAL problem is their individual ocd... That's beyond the purview of tfp imo. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Both are correct.

No you can't have something that big where zombies might be attracted, the cows would need to be real entities so the zombies can chase them and eat them and having sustainable meat is a bad idea IMO. A few eggs and feathers might be ok, and its just a box with probably no chickens you can even see in it, so no big performance loss there.

I think chicken forge should take some real work like trapping chickens and attract zombies quite a bit. Feed crafted from corn or something that must be farmed. Even better if the zombies can attack it (and seek it out with no player in line of sight) down to a destroyed state where the chicken is gone and you need to repair and retrap. Late/later game farms are nice and all, but I like the "get out and work/loot" concept you guys are standing your ground on.

My worthless vote is also on keeping them as is. I always mod in a bunch of "industrial" items and it's cool to have some wires hanging around where you want. The challenge of hiding them is a bonus to me, too. However, if you decide to auto-hide, please include the relays in hiding.

Edit: oh and while we're talking electricity and while I'm adding my voice to the crowd, count me deep in the crowd that is dying for some logic gates. I don't think the minecraft stuff others have requested (mostly auto item management) is realistic or even necessary at all, but some simple stuff would add so much depth.

Finally, speaking of minecraft, how feasible would some sticky pistons be in this game?

EXACTLY! iI hope they are not touched as well. I always have my wires within walls thus never having to see them. it can be a bit tricky but can be done.

On hiding wires; well, I gotta admit I kinda like them as is, but only SP here so...

But I am keeping my fingers crossed that Switches stay at zero watts cost :) (Relays should be also, imho, but I like switches better anyway)

It may be more of a King's English word choice, or maybe military history speak? Both work :)

From Wordnik;

"Not pregnable; not to be taken or reduced by force: as, an impregnable fortress"

but also; "Capable of being impregnated, as the egg of an animal, or the ovule of a plant." so yet another English word to confuse folks with :biggrin1:

Archived