Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Does changing colour of the suit zombie count as a new model? Or having different heads only? Just curious :smile-new:

Thanks,

Loc

The resources would be equal or nearly equal as to how you would approach it, so you might as well make a new zombie.

@MadMole @Roland or anyone.

I have a doubt about perks, MadMole say that level gates has been removed, but i don't know if he say what happen to the highest levels of attributes.

For example, int lvl 10 still cost 5 points/levels/ranks to unlock? (sorry i don't remember the exact number).

Thanks

Yes the higher tiers cost more perk points, but not all rank 5 perks require 10 attribute.

You inattentively read the text of my post?

Jumping 2+ blocks in height also goes against the design, but they are. How is one block passage worse than jumping?

Once upon a time, MM said that lockpicks in the game are unnecessary, and now we will see them in 18 Alpha.

Everything is changing =)

Zombies will be coming through 1 meter holes if that makes you feel any better.

I was testing this game for a long time for my dedicated server, it is likely that when you approach a prefab very close to the wall, the engine continues to see the 3d model, far away and why the decline in fps? Is this engine very bad? or it is badly programmed as a friend said without offending.

:upset:

We never had occlusion until A18 so I'm sure your fill rate was killing your gfx card. Most (99.9%) of games are static worlds where the player cannot change anything at all so occlusion calcs on static worlds is 100x easier to program and comes by default in most engines.

It's not a simulator. It is a game.

A simulator would try to reproduce reality as accurately as possible. A game, on the other hand, sacrifices accuracy for fun.

This. We've been cutting back on anything that starts to feel borderline simulation.

There's no rule saying that a simulation must be accurate at all. Only that it simulates an existing system or process.

Almost all games are simulations in one sense or another but not many simulations are games.

This is true, but way back when we coded the campfire we were discussing having to find matches or a lighter to light the fire, etc and we realized that trying to get into that level of realism was detrimental to fun. Just like sharp sticks. At the end of the day inventory space is limited so clunky simulation level things get in the way of having fun.

Yes, I level fast compared and I'm level 51 on day 57 so much slower leveling. It was needed since we removed level gates, we didn't want people reaching int 10 in 2 days. I wore nerd glasses most of the play through and started using learn'n elixer on horde night to level faster. I imagine some folks will be level 30 by day 56 and some a bit higher level.

To me its finally playing how I've wanted it to for the longest time, 18 is a major accomplishment. There is more to do but this feels like a great milestone game play wise.

The Day 56 horde was pretty intense. Its my fault for making a mansion, the zombies spread out everywhere and spiders jumped my walls, I'll probably build a horde tower separate from my base. Grenades are amazing, its like fire in the hole and bodies go flying, they work really nice. New sounds on some items too, its a nice touch.

Not everyone is going to have nerd glasses or other things to help them level up. Some might have to level up without any of those boosters. Meaning they will level up much slower than you.

Zombies will be coming through 1 meter holes if that makes you feel any better.

If I recall correctly (don't think I could find post as it was so, so long ago) 1 meter egress was removed because "if zombies can't do it then players shouldn't be able to do it"

Then, if I also remember correctly, dogs and crawler were allowed to get through 1 meter holes but players still weren't.

So does that mean now that most, if not all, zombies will be able to get through 1 meter holes? If so will players be able to get through 1 meters holes too?

Have to go wash...saying holes so many times made me feel dirty...

Hey Madmole,

with all these amazing book series coming up, what is the reason for making books disappear after you read them?

If you could keep books after reading them you could share them with your friends, and if they read them sell the books to a trader, or build a fancy library in your base where you try to collect all existing books, so your and your friends can browse it for new books that any of you found. That would add a lot more value to books, especially making a library would be one of these small things that have no game advancing purpose but are fun to do, and I think the game needs more of this.

With books being a one-time use item we will find ourselves competing with our friends when looting a books store: Who's gonna be faster to loot the book shelves? This would be a rather annoying thing.

If you don't like the idea, would you at least consider making books not disappear a server-side option? I'm sure more people would appreciate this.

Thanks.

Might as well make the chili not despawn when you eat it too so you can share it with everyone, turn on god mode and roll the credits. Why do you want your cake and eat it too? If everyone could share books everyone would have every perk in a team in like 3 days or something lame, and the desire to loot would go poof.

Trader Joel's is an immortal independent faction. They are not owned by Duke or White River. The other factions will be mostly killable, generic dudes that respawn as we need them for missions.

Are you saying that the White river flag has been removed from Trader Joel's in Alpha-18 then?

This is true, but way back when we coded the campfire we were discussing having to find matches or a lighter to light the fire, etc and we realized that trying to get into that level of realism was detrimental to fun. Just like sharp sticks. At the end of the day inventory space is limited so clunky simulation level things get in the way of having fun.

True regarding limited inventory space, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to have to prioritize what you are carrying. I actually quite enjoy that the game makes you have to decide.

And I think a lot of people (including myself) enjoy the simulation style of gameplay because when night falls, we have a default of half an hour of mining and very little else. At least checking battery levels, tossing spoiled food, going from wood to sticks to whatever is another step that isn't endless mining.

But it's only a slight disappointment considering I understand you guys are trying to simplify things to push the releases out quicker.

Aside from it taking up inventory room, it's another thing to have to balance, draw, potentially animate, create recipes, etc, etc.

I noticed in my current A17.4 game, that you are able to pass a 1 block height gap, if the upper block is a horizontal pipe.

That was in a pawn shop POI on top of the ceiling. I was a bit surprised...

Any plans to craft polymers out of oil shale and maybe other stuff ?

NO. Being able to craft something that is easily available ruins the game for a number of reasons. A, it removes any risk, B, it devalues that item, C it messes with the economy, and D it makes players bored quickly because they can farm a few things and and craft everything. The only way to balance that system is grind, where having rare resources keeps you searching and it makes recipes more interesting.

Gas was meh, vehicles and electricity were taken for granted before. Now you scrounge for gas, at least until you get a chem station, find a shale mine, and get the perk or find the gas can schematic to craft fuel. Now its fun and I am spending time looking for gas, having motivation (things you want and need) is what makes it fun and keeps you playing for a long time. Once you have more than you need, the game gets boring.

If I recall correctly (don't think I could find post as it was so, so long ago) 1 meter egress was removed because "if zombies can't do it then players shouldn't be able to do it"

Then, if I also remember correctly, dogs and crawler were allowed to get through 1 meter holes but players still weren't.

So does that mean now that most, if not all, zombies will be able to get through 1 meter holes? If so will players be able to get through 1 meters holes too?

crawlers... small animals (not normal standing walking zombies, not deer or bears for sure) :)

We never had occlusion until A18 so I'm sure your fill rate was killing your gfx card. Most (99.9%) of games are static worlds where the player cannot change anything at all so occlusion calcs on static worlds is 100x easier to program and comes by default in most engines.

Just out of curiosity, will occlusion help, hurt, or no change that one issue where you see other players underground bases if you could get the game view through see through the ground? Does that bug even exist anymore?

Ok, thanks for the response!

But ... This not need a change? Whit the slow leveling, we are going to stay 1 week saving points just for raise 1 attribute rank? (thinking in the higher attributes). It seems wrong to me.

A week to hit god tier status? Fair trade. If you want to be the best in the world you need to invest a lot of time.

I strongly urge anyone to NOT do this. If you level too fast you pretty much remove content and a rewarding growth curve and being able to find loot fast enough to keep up with the GS.

Sounds the same as Nerd glasses and other experience boost that your using in game.

crawlers... small animals (not normal standing walking zombies, not deer or bears for sure) :)

Crap, I always wanted a zombie to bear go through 1 block gap, they are so confused now anyway, would make them even more dangerous :)

Thanks for clarification.

NO. Being able to craft something that is easily available ruins the game for a number of reasons. A, it removes any risk, B, it devalues that item, C it messes with the economy, and D it makes players bored quickly because they can farm a few things and and craft everything. The only way to balance that system is grind, where having rare resources keeps you searching and it makes recipes more interesting.

Gas was meh, vehicles and electricity were taken for granted before. Now you scrounge for gas, at least until you get a chem station, find a shale mine, and get the perk or find the gas can schematic to craft fuel. Now its fun and I am spending time looking for gas, having motivation (things you want and need) is what makes it fun and keeps you playing for a long time. Once you have more than you need, the game gets boring.

Well said boss! Now that is some wisdom for yah. :)

I think orsey rememberes it correctly. I remember one reason was the fact that adding it would force another redesign of the POIs, especially the new dungeon style ones and the fact they dont have animations and such to make it look good.

Although it add some interesting gameplay situations, my opinion is that the ROI is pretty low from a development stand point just like the previous idea of killable traders.

Archived