Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I play dead is dead so longest I ever made it was day 44 or so....

In late game do vultures spew toxic greenish stuff like the cops?

If they don't maybe you can add this in-- or make a % of them do it..

(late game of course) wouldn't want anyones head to explode if they ran into em early.

I know it's a bit early for discussion...but if I may be so bold:

What will the primary focus be on in moving toward A19?

Is it more bug fixing?

Is it building back story?

Is it bringing more items?

Is it graphical upgrades?

Something else?

Or just whatever you can get done?

Do you have a laid out plan for all future builds since your team has grown or do you just have a vision for the completed project and working to it however you can?

Sorry if these are too personal. I'm just curious as to how a game like this gets built and have been following your growth as a company a bit.

I think orsey rememberes it correctly. I remember one reason was the fact that adding it would force another redesign of the POIs, especially the new dungeon style ones and the fact they dont have animations and such to make it look good.

Although it add some interesting gameplay situations, my opinion is that the ROI is pretty low from a development stand point just like the previous idea of killable traders.

Also, what about the mechanics surrounding doors?

I seem to remember faatal putting in a fair amount of work with these... Wouldn't 1m ingress require a redesign here aswell...

I know it's a bit early for discussion...but if I may be so bold:

What will the primary focus be on in moving toward A19?

Is it more bug fixing?

Is it building back story?

Is it bringing more items?

Is it graphical upgrades?

Something else?

Or just whatever you can get done?

Do you have a laid out plan for all future builds since your team has grown or do you just have a vision for the completed project and working to it however you can?

Sorry if these are too personal. I'm just curious as to how a game like this gets built and have been following your growth as a company a bit.

I've got spies on the inside and this is what they've revealed of The Fun Pimp's Alpha update plan:

1. They will start with a rough design,
  2. start work on it,
  3. realize a whole bunch of other priorities are also important,
  4. start adding them to the list,
  5. listen to feedback from the community and cancel desired things because they know they have the balance of power and want to flex it (haven't you heard MM going on about flexing his muscles?),
  6. realize the original plans aren't what anyone really wants and therefore scraps all plans.

In the end, they just hit a big RANDOMIZE button each day to see what they work on for the day.

Or how about being a bit crafty with bears and make them think they CAN fit in a 1m space so they get stuck. At least for a few hits on the snout before they get free.

And instead of roaring, at that go through moment, they will make squeeky noises lol

We never had occlusion until A18 so I'm sure your fill rate was killing your gfx card. Most (99.9%) of games are static worlds where the player cannot change anything at all so occlusion calcs on static worlds is 100x easier to program and comes by default in most engines.

What? I have been seeing ambient lighting in the game for a good while now. Alpha 15 (I think). I can build a blockhouse without windows and it is dark inside in the daytime.

Plus go into A in-closed POI without lights and again it's really dark in the daytime. Never mind the night.

So what is different about occlusion of Alpha-18?

Also, what about the mechanics surrounding doors?

I seem to remember faatal putting in a fair amount of work with these... Wouldn't 1m ingress require a redesign here aswell...

Probably yes. IMO, altho not 100% mandatory there are a number of different paths and obstacles that the player is intended to experience (i.e. specific paths, blocked doors, jumping mini games).

Since this a voxel game there are already some ways that go against these designs (i.e. nerd poling, destroy voxels in a straight line), adding 1 block egress would just another way which is a bad thing.

If I recall correctly (don't think I could find post as it was so, so long ago) 1 meter egress was removed because "if zombies can't do it then players shouldn't be able to do it"

Then, if I also remember correctly, dogs and crawler were allowed to get through 1 meter holes but players still weren't.

So does that mean now that most, if not all, zombies will be able to get through 1 meter holes? If so will players be able to get through 1 meters holes too?

Have to go wash...saying holes so many times made me feel dirty...

1m holes sounds very unsatisfying. I'd like something smaller. A lot smaller. And more BMs and DP's and other things that sound euphemistic.

Incidentally, every time I see the cheerleader Z, I swear she winks and sways her hips at me just that little bit more than the rest of you all.

Too bad so does big momma! :disgust::puke:

And instead of roaring, at that go through moment, they will make squeeky noises lol

Lol. And that's the time to upgrade to concrete so he's really stuck in there. And then put the cheezels (or twisties or whatever you yanks have) 2mm out of reach of his snout.

It would be interesting to see what the Horde thinks of him on BM night. They come up behind him and you can weaponize his rear end. Lol

Are we going to see other NPC's at the trader's? Guards, workers eta?

Maybe a cook that you can buy a meal off of?

It`s 21st century, there are vending machines.

Btw, not bad idea if you walk in a trade post, you can find a couple or some npcs like enchanters, forgers, cooks too, why not.

Lol. And that's the time to upgrade to concrete so he's really stuck in there. And then put the cheezels (or twisties or whatever you yanks have) 2mm out of reach of his snout.

It would be interesting to see what the Horde thinks of him on BM night. They come up behind him and you can weaponize his rear end. Lol

Romance will be in the air.

It`s 21st century, there are vending machines.

Btw, not bad idea if you walk in a trade post, you can find a couple or some npcs like enchanters, forgers, cooks too, why not.

New's flash. We had vending machines in the 20th century to. ;)

I play dead is dead so longest I ever made it was day 44 or so....

In late game do vultures spew toxic greenish stuff like the cops?

If they don't maybe you can add this in-- or make a % of them do it..

(late game of course) wouldn't want anyones head to explode if they ran into em early.

I live in the wasteland biome and I have had like a rare encounter with them but higher gs in blood moons you will see the vultures that spit at you

A lot will certainly change in A18. XP are still important for progress but according to what I have read and heard so far not as important as in A17. You can progress a lot by finding the right books and schematics.

This is a true statement. I think some players will even take pride in not spending any points in a tree that has some things they want because they are a good scavenger and found what they needed to bypass buying the perk. This makes spending five points on rank 10 of an attribute an easier pill to swallow because you aren't nickel and dimed to death on cooking, mining, or intellect perks if you just want to dabble in those.

Sl related to this. if a Perk still requires an Attribute level, how will books work? could I use a 3/5 perk book without having the base attribute? OR are books completely not tied to Attribute base level?

Books have zero requirements to read and learn their perks. The completion bonus only requires you read all 7 books in the series to unlock it.

@Madmole

hi whats up?

i like it to unlock recipes by reading books. what do you thinking about reading a book for unlocking a recipe and receiving skill-exp for crafting this item.

for example youre unlocking the recipe bacon and eggs and your crafting skill-level is 1 and there is a 50% to get a normal bacon and eggs and 50% to get charried bacon and eggs with half stats/effectiveness. and if you craft some of that, you can level up you skill and at max level youre crafting 100% normal bacon and eggs.(learning by doing) and you got more goals in the game

We're not adding any learn by doing activities, its like trying to shove a square peg into a round hole at this stage in development.

We're talking about bringing back craft XP for A19 though, for things that require non farmable resources.

Archived