Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I can only assume your team did a lot more researching than I did on the matter and has already found all that I could find in a couple of minutes but just in case :

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/kinematic-character-controller-99131

I think we did switch to another one, but I'm not 100% sure Faatal would know. Unity packs in a bunch of clunky slow features that really affect performance. Those third party unity store things are usually horrible and need loads of optimizations and its almost always better to just code from scratch so it fits your project perfectly and doesn't have any slow or uneeded code/features.

I am, as an electrician I am hoping it will get a book series to allow for more advanced electrical builds. Like for instance a hidden wiring system, where you get to create/use smaller model outlets and place them on the walls. As long as the walls are connected the "wire" is there and all you should only need to connect the power source to an inlet to power the circuit.

Nope, block continuity is super expensive.

That means in A18 nothing stops you from avoiding the horde by driving around in a vehicle. There were several ideas to make it harder to avoid the horde. For example, the zombies will run into your vehicle and cause damage if you don't dodge them.

We haven't done anything on this, that sounds like something Roland must have wrote.

In Ark, I used to build double walls - basically a passage around the outside of the base to hide the electrics behind, until the S+ mod introduced the idea of being able to hide and show the wiring as a toggle. I think that was great.

Still I think Terraria did it the best way - you can only see the wires, if you're holding the wire tool.

Yeah we talked about that. You cannot "cut" the wires so there is no advantage showing them to other players or anyone without a wire tool.

We're not talking about bandits right now.

Sorry, I still have to tell you that the question was for Alpha 19 or 20, what plans would they have for bandits? Faatal would be behind the AI ​​or will they have new guys to help Faatal?

We haven't done anything on this, that sounds like something Roland must have wrote.

Yes it was, since you said there is no more discussing it in this thread :D:cocksure:

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I still have to tell you that the question was for Alpha 19 or 20, what plans would they have for bandits? Faatal would be behind the AI ​​or will they have new guys to help Faatal?

I can take this one:

"Nothing. We are currently all about getting A18 into the hands of players, and after that there will be bugfixes and patches. After that we can talk. Now no more talk of this or you get an infraction!"

Did I do good MM? ^_^

Just to provide a nicer reply than Victor did... The Fun Pimps are not planning out anything for A19 or beyond yet. They are only working on A18, everything else is just talk.

- - - Updated - - -

so are there ANY plans to add official mods or somewhere else for mods to be installed?

don't know if youll add it when released or at all just wondering though

He answered your question. Mod support via workshop will be added in Gold or soon after.

Yes and I'm saying we're not talking about them right now. You will get info and demo videos when the time comes, speculating right now will just produce confusion and gates.

Wouldn't this be the same as stability? As long as it sticks together, assume it's connected.

If it were, don't you think we'd have block continuity? I was told its way too expensive so we had to go with wire nodes. If I hide wires, does it even matter?

I asked if it is possible in XML to make the character pass through a hole 1 block high? This is not now in Alpha 17. Could you add this in alpha 18?

Technically a character currently can pass through a hole 1 block high, provided that they do so vertically.

Pure Semantics, I know.... but the Pedant in me had to have it's say.

If it were, don't you think we'd have block continuity? I was told its way too expensive so we had to go with wire nodes. If I hide wires, does it even matter?

Maybe do a book series on electricity? One of the books could reward to hide the cables, so when read cables only show with the pliers in hand? Could also reward stuff like increased efficiency so that traps draw less power. Generators are more finely tuned so they use less gas. Improved circuitry so the batteries last X% longer ... stuff like this.

Archived