Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

That could be interesting as a later game stage thing. We generally don't like to confuse game mechanics though so people can learn why there was a screamer.

Thanks for your feedback MM. :smile-new:

Yeah i understand. Anyway sometimes it happens that one (or more) screamer spawn in a POI illuminated by torches, especially the desert canyon mine in Navezgane. Cold sweat for me every time.

MF? Mother F%$%$$ bugs?

Mathematics are always on topic!

We know the bugs.

Mother F&%/5$' bugs = 93.

We know the average rate of MF bug fixing speed because faatal gave us data a while back : 10-15 bugs / week with some spikes of 25/week at a given time if bugs are from different departments and they are easily fixable.

Pesimistic: 9-10 weeks until exp.

Optimistic: 3 weeks until exp.

Average: first-second week of September.

One thing is for sure: This experimental will be extremely polished compared to what we are used to judging by that early streaming.

I'm talking about Experimentation with mathematics, so still on topic.

What do you mean? I live in South America and we don't live piled up in rooms. I don't know if you're xenophobic or just ignorant.

Calm down, I'm sure he didn't mean to crowd your style, and please don't think I'm trying to pile up on you. The forums are jam-packed with jokes that are hard to decipher without sarcasm tags, and if everybody took them seriously, the mods inboxes would be jam-packed with reports.

Joel it sounds like a stupid thing but could you add by any chance a lean feature, so we can peak around corners?

(what, it worked for the other guy...)

You can peek just fine. Get off your ass and press the strafe button :D

Will you take the heat tomorrow when the number climbs to 102?

Sure!

But all jokes aside I do think that would be a good thing to show. Joel already stated a number, if the number increase or decrease it will still give the community some indication on the process that is going on.

EDIT: And also, it will avoid followup questions of the type: "Are we there yet?!" :D

My issue is 30 zombies from outside come in every time I do a POI. This is a result of me playing solo and the random horde comes for me or near a player (its just me) and they hear me killing stuff and come investigate. At a minimum 5+ guys seem to come from outside and afar when I'm doing a POI. If that didn't happen, I'd love to see lots more zombies outside in cities but when your doing a Tier 3+ and get sandwiched its not cool.

I turned wandering horde size up to 25. The other day, 3 of us were looting the hospital. We were on the top floor when a wandering horde of 22 dogs and 3 zombie bears decided to wander past the hospital and make a beeline to the top floor....only one of us survived and it was scary and sudden and absolutely fabulous!! Totally unexpected and talk about adrenaline rush....geez. We will talk about that episode for a very long time. Can't wait to see A18.

So far from what i read....

Screamers in POI's - This could be a game changer, cause if it is say inside a higashi tower, you would wanna go back to the main floor to kill them or risk the building collapsing, I would love that challenge.

Crafting Empty Cans - Small and sweet yet so needed.

Under 100 bugs to fix - Amazing work guys

Possible Industrial Crafters/Smelters - Those would take a lot of resources to craft if allowed to craft, and I imagine they would be heavy as hell so a wooden floor wouldnt hold it.

Out of curiosity, with cans being added for crafting, will we see can grenades? that would be cool

For the 4x4, would it be possible to mod the back of it to be a mobile forge? I know that would seem gamebreaking in some ways but being able to drive and smelt would be so useful, and because its in a truck it could have higher chances to summon screamers and hordes, definite challenge.

An example have a key POI (nuclear power plant) surrounded by 100's of radiated zombies inside and out (can only wear a full rad suit or die).

Step 2 two after clearing is to fix the radiation leaks then try to figure out how to get it going without an explosive meltdown. Then players can power anything from a standing telephone poll (or something like that).

Players could chose not to fix the power plant and radiated zombie will continue to spawn making building a lasting settlement almost impossible.

You'll definitely need a hydroelectric magnetosphere regulator for that.

You're right that the max stamina bar lets you know when you're starting to incur hunger penalties, but I didn't know that as a newbie.

You know, you could have cheated and read the ingame journal tip...

So far from what i read....

Screamers in POI's - This could be a game changer, cause if it is say inside a higashi tower, you would wanna go back to the main floor to kill them or risk the building collapsing, I would love that challenge.

Crafting Empty Cans - Small and sweet yet so needed.

Under 100 bugs to fix - Amazing work guys

Possible Industrial Crafters/Smelters - Those would take a lot of resources to craft if allowed to craft, and I imagine they would be heavy as hell so a wooden floor wouldnt hold it.

Out of curiosity, with cans being added for crafting, will we see can grenades? that would be cool

For the 4x4, would it be possible to mod the back of it to be a mobile forge? I know that would seem gamebreaking in some ways but being able to drive and smelt would be so useful, and because its in a truck it could have higher chances to summon screamers and hordes, definite challenge.

Industrial grade workstations would be awesome but should be a world item only and not craftable by the player imho.

Certain POIs like workshops and factories should have a chance to spawn them, some higher than others and some guaranteed depending on type and tier. Even the odd trader should have a chance to spawn them but on rare occasions.

The yield compared to craftable workstations should be so much better so that it was worth the risk and hassle to haul the materials to one to do some crafting.

I know they are there... but nobody ever reads those :D

I'm sorry. Since 90% of them are more or less useless (and 99% to any veteran) they do not seem important.

Maybe make a starter quest to read them and explain that they are usefull. Seriously. They are nicely written and a good idea... but currently nobody reads them (personal experience only, but from a wide range of players).

I just got done watching the video where Joel shows off the reorganized perks, and while this might be old news to most, I have to say I'm pretty excited for the new perk structure. I think it's a vast improvement over the current system. Instead of feeling like you have to spread your points between the different stats, you'll really feel like you can deeply specialize in one particular tree, enhancing the feeling of playing a particular role, being a particular character, and filling a particular need in the group.

The one and only concern I have about it is armor.

I feel like most people will want to use armor of some kind, and that it's a little limiting to have it only in fortitude and agility. Sure, you can dump a few points into them in order to get 2-3 points in one of the armor perks so it's not completely useless to you, but it still seems to me like those perks ought to be available to multiple trees. Maybe heavy armor could be a "shared" perk between strength and fortitude, and light armor for perception and agility.

What I mean by shared is that you can level the perk in either tree, but progress and prereqs are shared for both. This way you wouldn't be able to put a point in from strength and another from fortitude to get 2 points worth of effect out of it, instead once you put 1 point into it in either tree, it's now listed as having 1 point in both trees, but you only get the effect of 1 perk level, and you'd have to increase either strength OR fortitude in order to unlock the next point.

This way you prevent double dipping, but still allow multiple "classes" access to armor perks.

I don't think this is necessary or anything, I'm just trying to think in terms of the stated design goals, and I think the way it is now will result in most players feeling like they need to dip into fort/agi for armor perks.

I don't know if this additional functionality would be difficult to program, or if it would even solve the problem, or if TFP even considers it a problem. I'm no game programmer, I'm just a humble paper pusher irl, but that's my 2 cents anyway!

True, but that still doesn't solve the problem I was having. Even once I knew the reduced max stamina bar shows me that I'm hungry, it doesn't tell me anything about my thirst, so I still checked the menu pretty regularly to see my food/water level.

Plus, I still didn't know about either hunger or thirst until they actually became a problem. I had to check the menu if I wanted to be able to top myself off before I started taking penalties.

Also, In most survival games this stuff is intuitive because it's displayed on the hud, so you understand it immediately just by looking at it instead of having to read a paragraph explaining how it works, and then having to press a button and sometimes click a tab every time you want to check. Like, for instance, having hunger and thirst bars.

It's no big deal at this point, I already modded them in, I'm just saying!

Archived