Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

end of june MM stated 4-6 weeks and in prior posts he mentins "didnt we say 4-6 weeks at the end of june?"

so im just gona hope and wait while i test my theroy to enclose the trader and surround it with turrets

Its done when its done. Right now august seems very reasonable, but I need to look at the must fix list and get a reality check before I make such claims :)

Don't get used to it, auto turrets will be a thing and vehicle health is too generous right now. You'll probably have to cut the power to stop these things or shoot them before getting to the roof, impossible to do from a gyro.

Madmole, are you talking about Alpha 18, or are these plans for future updates? :nightmare:

@madmole You mentioned a new mechanic in A18 about a "rage mode" for zombies? (Forgive me if I am mistaken about this.) Just curious, will this rage mechanic activate in all encounters with zombies, or only some? I'm assuming it's the latter.

Also, from what I've been hearing about A18 so far, I am very pumped and I have full faith that it will be a phenomenal chapter in the 7D2D history books. Keep up the excellent work. (:

It happens frequently but typically its a minor boost in speed that has no impact. Sometimes they are nearly running so it keeps you on your toes.

Don't get used to it, auto turrets will be a thing and vehicle health is too generous right now. You'll probably have to cut the power to stop these things or shoot them before getting to the roof, impossible to do from a gyro.

Also try landing a heli in Rust, it takes a huge amount of skill to fly those. Very rewarding though. Ours is super cake to fly and it should be more difficult IMO.

Right now it is possible to drop Molotov cocktails from the gyrocopter so maybe with turrets you’ll have to napalm the rooftop first and hope they don’t get a few lucky shots on you before you can clear them. :)

I think he is just trying to emphasize the point that things have been cut before. At this point with books almost getting removed and now with them coming back in stronger than ever and in a way that integrates well with perks it’s safe to say that this feature at least will ship with the game.

Especially since Madmole confirmed it’s one of his horcruxes.

That will do Mr. Potter! :)

No, I was just using that as an example. Say like you do a mission for a trader the trader unlocks a skill level for you as a quest reward.

In a way it would seem that the trader is teaching you how to do stuff like build a workbench or cook or shoot to better. Things like that.

OFC this would be one of a few reward options.

That would require a menu that lets you pick what you want, otherwise be kind of useless. Too much headache IMO. He gives you XP you can buy perks with all XP eventually.

I played a lot of modded in 17, and was quite critical but I am always a fan at heart. Even if as a hardcore type player I was disappointed in the initial 17 offering, I am excited to go back to vanilla for 18 and see what you have cooked up. Everything so far sounds very fun and interesting so Im very willing to look at 17 in the rear view and dive back in to 18. A lot of us were a bit jaded to some of the major changes but now that they have settled in its exciting to see what 18 will do with those changes.

Its been a crazy ride, through every Alpha but never would I ever say i regretted any of it. Your passion project has done more for me in my life than i could ever express in proper words. Heres to a fantastic launch and a big thank you for your entire team and the work they put in to bring us this game we all love in one form or another.

Thanks Jax, I feel like minus bandits and more quests, this is the game we've been trying to make all these years.

Hi thanks for the feedback, was thinking about those you find in the wild, I guess harvest bonus doesent work on those? Havent really checked that (hehe). Those we plant from seeds should ofcourse be as they are.

Cheers Pip

It needs to remain consistent, so we teach them the way it is, not have 2 ways to do stuff and cause confusion.

Maybe this will help in time to determine the boundaries of the quest and not fail it? This countdown is used in many games and works great.

calldown.jpg

Sorry, I am not designer =)

Fight to the death, problem solved. Whats this sissy running away business?

Also try landing a heli in Rust, it takes a huge amount of skill to fly those. Very rewarding though. Ours is super cake to fly and it should be more difficult IMO.

True the gyro is fairly easy to fly. The dive landing was more of me simply adjusting to the fact that the gyro has no option to hover and therefore can't land or take off vertically like a helicopter. I was simply figuring out a way to make current vehicle physics work with what I wanted to accomplish. Improvements to how vehicles function will always be welcome with me.

As for roof turrets, Im all for making it more challenging to simply bypass the POI sleepers for the loot. I would actually love having to figure out how to deal with emplaced powered defenses. I could see myself scouting from nearby structures to identify possible threats on the roof and then eliminating them from range prior to trying to reach the top.

Though as a side question, would these turrets only target the player or would they also target any rooftop zombies or vultures that stumbled into their line of sight?

What I have noticed is that it seems harder to stir up trouble by making noise on the outside of a POI. I do that on purpose just to cause a ruckus inside. But I sometimes have to literately break through part of the wall and fire a gun just to wake them up.

Why does it seem easier to get into trouble going in and shooting?

Why does it seem easier for zombies to hear noise from the outside?

Finding that out may allow zombies in the streets in towns.

On the other hand, back in playing Alpha 9.3. Being sandwiched put a real fear in me when I was raiding a house in a town Stealth was a must. Sometimes that wouldn't work and I would have to jump out of a second story window with only a part of a roof-ledge to land on.

Good times. :)

Zombies didn't spawn in houses so getting sandwiched was only if you were stupid and left the door open behind you lol.

When I played with 4x biome spawns there were still sleepers in the house. However, I never tried to game it by deliberately waking up zombies from a house or two to reach the 64 max and then go into a new house with zero spawns inside.

I wonder if that tactic could work now in cities. Wake up five houses and keep all the outside zombies alive until there are 64 alive and then start looting in empty houses...

Yeah one guy hit max alive, think how that translates to servers?

I think he is just trying to emphasize the point that things have been cut before. At this point with books almost getting removed and now with them coming back in stronger than ever and in a way that integrates well with perks it’s safe to say that this feature at least will ship with the game.

Especially since Madmole confirmed it’s one of his horcruxes.

Books are amazing no way in hell would they get cut. I need to find some more book stores lol. I'm 28 hours in and don't know crap yet lol.

That would require a menu that lets you pick what you want, otherwise be kind of useless. Too much headache IMO. He gives you XP you can buy perks with all XP eventually.

No, that's not what I mean. What I was talking about is that the trader could level up a skill but at random. So if you do this mission, the trader offers to give you a level higher on cooking.

It may look like this:

Trader: Do this mission and you may choose the following:

1. 1,000 Dukes

2. Better cooking skills (one level higher than what the player has).

3. Some medical supplies.

On the next mission they may offer to level up another skill, again at random.

Maybe this will help in time to determine the boundaries of the quest and not fail it? This countdown is used in many games and works great.

calldown.jpg

Sorry, I am not designer =)

Not bad. The style fits the gigantic quest marker. ^^

True the gyro is fairly easy to fly. The dive landing was more of me simply adjusting to the fact that the gyro has no option to hover and therefore can't land or take off vertically like a helicopter. I was simply figuring out a way to make current vehicle physics work with what I wanted to accomplish. Improvements to how vehicles function will always be welcome with me.

As for roof turrets, Im all for making it more challenging to simply bypass the POI sleepers for the loot. I would actually love having to figure out how to deal with emplaced powered defenses. I could see myself scouting from nearby structures to identify possible threats on the roof and then eliminating them from range prior to trying to reach the top.

Though as a side question, would these turrets only target the player or would they also target any rooftop zombies or vultures that stumbled into their line of sight?

I'm sure they target everything, but at that point it might be bandits too, so you are getting rekt if you try any rooftop quck loot grabs from a gyro before you even land.

Right now it is possible to drop Molotov cocktails from the gyrocopter so maybe with turrets you’ll have to napalm the rooftop first and hope they don’t get a few lucky shots on you before you can clear them. :)

Oh great, there goes my current world...... Just had to tell me there was a way to use molotovs from the copter lol.

Time to make things burn!!!

I like MMs idea of having to take out a generator to power down defenses though.

No, that's not what I mean. What I was talking about is that the trader could level up a skill but at random. So if you do this mission, the trader offers to give you a level higher on cooking.

It may look like this:

Trader: Do this mission and you may choose the following:

1. 1,000 Dukes

2. Better cooking skills (one level higher than what the player has).

3. Some medical supplies.

On the next mission they may offer to level up another skill, again at random.

We've talked about them being trainers like in Skyrim/Oblivion. THey already have backstories and unused specialization, so if we did it, they would train in their area, like Joel is Armor, Hugh is weapons, bob is vehicles, Jen is intellect. Maybe factions might have trainers instead.

Archived