Sign in to follow this  
madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I’m more than a little curious what this was in reference to. :)

Pille's comment about the ingame quest marker...😅

- - - Updated - - -

I really like the interplay between hunger and stamina and thirst and recovery rate and wounds that heal naturally but more serious wounds that require medical attention. Once the status bars are understood they very elegantly convey all of that.

They are a bit more complex than simple separate bars would be and I hope they don’t get dumbed down.... :p

How about something like this? 😅

9jG0DYj.gif

Seems to work for the medical field lol...

If you have to explain a status bar and how and what it shows, it has already failed.

Yeah, must agree that is true, and the most important point. Having to dig through menu tabs to get such a basic and relevant stat is a design flaw, or just a bad decision that they refuse to change. Every single mod I have ever played adds them both. Every. Single. One. I recently played a MP game in A17 vanilla with a bunch of noobs, after a few times trying to explain it, they never quite understood, I just told them to deal with it the way I do and constantly over eat and over drink.

I thought this topic had been beaten to death already, remember it came up in a big way in the A17 dev blog last year. I just gave up and gave in on it due to exhaustion myself. I've adapted, and will deal if it stays the way it is. But it's still hard to shake the feeling that you're just burying a flaw every time so you can go back to enjoying the game.

Edited by Mechanimal (see edit history)

I really like the interplay between hunger and stamina and thirst and recovery rate and wounds that heal naturally but more serious wounds that require medical attention. Once the status bars are understood they very elegantly convey all of that.

They are a bit more complex than simple separate bars would be and I hope they don’t get dumbed down.... :p

A better example of "dumbed down" is combining two completely seperate stats.

(C+ for effort though)

Strafe does not equal lean.

Minimizing ones visibility by only exposing their head/upper torso vs whole body should be part of the stealth if its not already, especially for PVP.

I know. You can't lean in Rust, the best selling Pvp game on steam, so I don't think we need it. Hide in the ghillie suit if you want to be a creep in pvp.

I just got done watching the video where Joel shows off the reorganized perks, and while this might be old news to most, I have to say I'm pretty excited for the new perk structure. I think it's a vast improvement over the current system. Instead of feeling like you have to spread your points between the different stats, you'll really feel like you can deeply specialize in one particular tree, enhancing the feeling of playing a particular role, being a particular character, and filling a particular need in the group.

The one and only concern I have about it is armor.

I feel like most people will want to use armor of some kind, and that it's a little limiting to have it only in fortitude and agility. Sure, you can dump a few points into them in order to get 2-3 points in one of the armor perks so it's not completely useless to you, but it still seems to me like those perks ought to be available to multiple trees. Maybe heavy armor could be a "shared" perk between strength and fortitude, and light armor for perception and agility.

What I mean by shared is that you can level the perk in either tree, but progress and prereqs are shared for both. This way you wouldn't be able to put a point in from strength and another from fortitude to get 2 points worth of effect out of it, instead once you put 1 point into it in either tree, it's now listed as having 1 point in both trees, but you only get the effect of 1 perk level, and you'd have to increase either strength OR fortitude in order to unlock the next point.

This way you prevent double dipping, but still allow multiple "classes" access to armor perks.

I don't think this is necessary or anything, I'm just trying to think in terms of the stated design goals, and I think the way it is now will result in most players feeling like they need to dip into fort/agi for armor perks.

I don't know if this additional functionality would be difficult to program, or if it would even solve the problem, or if TFP even considers it a problem. I'm no game programmer, I'm just a humble paper pusher irl, but that's my 2 cents anyway!

Its by design to use 2-3 attributes and have them maxed out and all the perks you want under them maxed out. Its convenient to specialize in one, but armor is pretty good without any perks at all, and going unarmored is totally doable as well.

Yeah, lean is not necessary in this game, agree. In R6 Siege for example it is super important, but that game has a very different feel and purpose to it. Plus the usual buttons for it, Q and E, are not really available, E surely isn't, and I would not want to use any other keys for it than those.

If you have to explain a status bar and how and what it shows, it has already failed.

I'm pretty sure I disagree a little here. Not because I don't agree that UI's can and should be elegant and intuitive. I mostly agree there. But intuitive assumes some common sense and prerequisite knowledge of other games/UI's. When I developed training regimens for another job, I found it best to assume there is no such thing as common sense/prereqs other than the hiring criteria. It's not a fault on someone if they don't have some piece of "common sense" and doesn't always mean they are some sort of idiot that can't learn- maybe they just have unique thought processes or it's just something completely new to them. Providing the information doesn't mean everyone will need it to function or that those that do need it have failed somehow.

How do you introduce a mechanic never seen before? Hunger and hydration being tied to stamina is new to me in a game and I like it a lot because being hungry and thirsty affecting my stamina is intuitive. Is it fair to use common aspects of ui design and assume people should just get it right away? I probably wouldn't play any video games any more if it wasn't for how much I enjoy this one.

As far as elegance, I think it may happen organically throughout the development and we still have a bit to go before gold. If I was developing a new mechanic, I would work out details and testing as much as possible before setting out on presentation.

Speaking of elegant, I should have waited to see this reply as you have elegantly stated the point about the interplay that I like.

Edited by andrough
Adding roland's bit of wisdom (see edit history)

Keeping cans non-craftable is a much better idea. When players have the ability to have everything without going out and searching for items kills pvp. Not being able to craft cans makes players get out and search for cans to make repair kits which are heavily relied on to break in bases with. My recommendation would be make more items such as guns, anything valuable including augers non-craftable. Btw i have 13500+ hours playing this game so please dont tell me "valuable items should be craftable." Ive seen first hand from thousands of players though out the last few years to know that is not the case.

thanks

There are a million reasons to go looting in A18.

MADMOLE there was someone who said they should remain uncraftable do you agree because if we can craft guns I questioned why we couldn't craft empty cans

I had also stated that if we could craft advanced materials why couldn't we craft a simple can?

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

I like the idea about displaying the number of MF bugs in the poll. This way we get us our 'release date' and MM doesn't get the blame when the 'promised' date is delayed.

Roland, I'm writing a steam review right now, so do your part.

Yeah, lean is not necessary in this game, agree. In R6 Siege for example it is super important, but that game has a very different feel and purpose to it. Plus the usual buttons for it, Q and E, are not really available, E surely isn't, and I would not want to use any other keys for it than those.

Besides, a lean is like combining standing upright and strafing into one single movement...

;-)

A better example of "dumbed down" is combining two completely seperate stats.

(C+ for effort though)

It's not combined, though. They affect each other.

I like the idea about displaying the number of MF bugs in the poll. This way we get us our 'release date' and MM doesn't get the blame when the 'promised' date is delayed.

Roland, I'm writing a steam review right now, so do your part.

That’s way too ambiguous on your part to close any kind of deal. There’s got to be praise for the moderation staff on the table at a minimum or I’m walking away.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

Besides, a lean is like combining standing upright and strafing into one single movement...

;-)

Maybe add in one of those weird new guns that shoots around corners, no lean necessary. I am def kidding, I've just played a ton of FPS games and the dif between those that have it and those that don't is usually pretty clear. R6 is highly tactical PvP in very confined spaces, leaning and peeking is a very fine art that could be the dif between winning or losing an entire game, where-as in 7DTD I'd likely never even use it to begin with.

That’s way too ambiguous on your part to close any kind of deal. There’s got to be praise for the moderation staff on the table at a minimum or I’m walking away.

Praise? Half of us think you're a bot with defense turned up high, looking at shooting at any negative comments about the game. So what's praise for a bot? I know! We'll reward you with more purpose for existence and therefore submit more negative comments.

What do you mean? I live in South America and we don't live piled up in rooms. I don't know if you're xenophobic or just ignorant.

Yeah when I was working in Argentina I had like 84 roommates for a 8 m2 apartment. When one of us fell asleep they were stacked vertically against the wall, so that the next person could go and fall asleep..

Are you saying that is not normal??

When madmole mentioned his son liking the game he hinted at the improvement of animations. I looked at the stream videos that prime and the other devs did and found none. Have we seen them yet?

Also, can you deal with the weapon/arm inertia? The swaying looks a bit off like we have slow-mo jelly arms. Not to rip on you guys too hard but the weapon animations have been the worst I've seen in a successful indie first-person shooter.

I hope that is fixed a little or will get a fix in the future. I said this in a later post but probably investing in weapons animator or an extra weapons animator would benefit you guys in the long run.

7 days to die isn't successful because of the combat. It's the mechanics that hold it up but it would help so much if the combat animations were better.

Yeah, must agree that is true, and the most important point. Having to dig through menu tabs to get such a basic and relevant stat is a design flaw, or just a bad decision that they refuse to change. Every single mod I have ever played adds them both. Every. Single. One. I recently played a MP game in A17 vanilla with a bunch of noobs, after a few times trying to explain it, they never quite understood, I just told them to deal with it the way I do and constantly over eat and over drink.

I thought this topic had been beaten to death already, remember it came up in a big way in the A17 dev blog last year. I just gave up and gave in on it due to exhaustion myself. I've adapted, and will deal if it stays the way it is. But it's still hard to shake the feeling that you're just burying a flaw every time so you can go back to enjoying the game.

I don't see how a learning curve indicates a failed element. It's not inherently important to survival to have exact stats visible at all times, that's something for specialized, advanced players.

Just like you can start and land a plane without knowing all the readouts, but being better at it if you do. I find the current system adequate for survival, more hud options would be nice though. I wouldn't call the lack of them a flaw though

Praise? Half of us think you're a bot with defense turned up high, looking at shooting at any negative comments about the game. So what's praise for a bot? I know! We'll reward you with more purpose for existence and therefore submit more negative comments.

So you need to say something that is the opposite of this sort of thing, Unlike. Throw in a word like “professional” and I think we’ll be in a good place for you getting what you want.

t2b3ixV.jpg

Thank you Laz. Perfect timing. Let the Hitler vids commence!