Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Game doesn't need any additional zombies from other pois. The towers im doing in my world are full of zombies. So much so I have stopped doing them. You spend 500 ammo to get back 100. Now I'm no math guy but that's a bad ratio.

I think the issue here is some people see killing zombies itself as the reward, i have seen it talked about here alot. I dont. I want to survive and thrive. I dont go to pois just to kill zombies, I do like the combat and killing zombies it's just not all I wanna do. I wanna build up my stockpiles and thrive. If your at a negative ammo amount after a poi that's bad. If I only wanted to kill zombies I'd go play left 4 dead 2.

I know you dont agree and thats fine. I guess I type all this for people reading the forums and TFP.

Also I'm 100% on board with any game setting added that given the player control. Like zombie count biome settings. That way everyone gets the game they want. Only thing is if the zombies are tougher in a biome the rewards should reflect that. They never have and that's an issue.

I think at some point more options would be best, or maybe they'll play around and get some kind of rebalancing like you suggest. In teh first version of A17, before they tweaked the wandering hordes, I had frequent yet memorable problems with them coming in behind me. Yeah it sucked, but man did it make for a good story afterward. Getting some of that back would be fun, not as much, but occasionally it would make sense.

My play style must be quite different, I clear many POIs without firing a single round of ammo, tend to save all that for Blood Moons. I mean I do have to whip out the AK or shotty from time to time. But otherwise going stealth I can handle it all with a bow and melee. Some POIs, especially the bigger ones when you are at a late game stage, do require a lot of ammo at some point. Those should have a sweeter reward at the end, I agree, at least more ammo.

I don't mind fist sponges. I one shotted a fat cop and gibbed his head, it was glorious. I never dreamed of brawling against a fat cop but here we are. Fortitude you are very hard to kill if you grab everything heavy armor, mod it, pain tollerance reduces damage taken, combined with wolverine health regen its actually a ton of fun and pretty viable.

I think the power curve is better now, but I'm yet to face radiated enemies. So far I'm brawling with ferals and switch to AK when things get a bit hairy or stamina is low with no problem. I cleared a T4 quest last night using mostly spiked knuckles.

For real balance you need to be battling radiated zeds. Or I'f ya dont get there balance can come in 18.1 or whatever.

I remember a17 was terribly out of balance at launch. I remember radiated wights on like day 3 lol. Good times.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this will help in time to determine the boundaries of the quest and not fail it? This countdown is used in many games and works great.

calldown.jpg

Sorry, I am not designer =)

YES please!

Game doesn't need any additional zombies from other pois. The towers im doing in my world are full of zombies. So much so I have stopped doing them. You spend 500 ammo to get back 100. Now I'm no math guy but that's a bad ratio.

Maybe they will invent sledgehammers so you dont have to waste bullets on every single zombie you find.

I clear out buildings only using bullets if i get in a pretty bad situation, then im back to melee.

I think at some point more options would be best, or maybe they'll play around and get some kind of rebalancing like you suggest. In teh first version of A17, before they tweaked the wandering hordes, I had frequent yet memorable problems with them coming in behind me. Yeah it sucked, but man did it make for a good story afterward. Getting some of that back would be fun, not as much, but occasionally it would make sense.

My play style must be quite different, I clear many POIs without firing a single round of ammo, tend to save all that for Blood Moons. I mean I do have to whip out the AK or shotty from time to time. But otherwise going stealth I can handle it all with a bow and melee. Some POIs, especially the bigger ones when you are at a late game stage, do require a lot of ammo at some point. Those should have a sweeter reward at the end, I agree, at least more ammo.

Theres a couple of things i wanna address here.

First, stealth should not be a required playstyle to do late game t5 towers.

Second, I am on high gamestage I guess as I have seen lots of radiated and I need bullets for them. Also I cant melee down zeds when theres multiple ferals and a few others in there. The shotgun messiah is a total bullet sink, and that's kinda bs considering it's a gun tower lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they will invent sledgehammers so you dont have to waste bullets on every single zombie you find.

I clear out buildings only using bullets if i get in a pretty bad situation, then im back to melee.

Some funny assumptions your making there. I melee all the time.

How about PUBG?

Sure, but PvP is the main focus of that game, so it is far more important as a feature. I don't know how many people do PvP in this game, I never have, doubt I ever will, it's why I never got into Rust at all. Did play a decent amount of PUBG, but it got old. I know it's me though, just burnt out on PvP games in general, with a few exceptions.

I def would think those who do PvP would be excited about the ghillie suit, ... wait, how would that even effect PvE, does it work on the Z's and animals? I mean it's neat, but I am curious as to what the main purpose of it is in the game, how is it functionally advantageous to PvE players?

Theres a couple of things i wanna address here.

First, stealth should not be a required playstyle to do late game t5 towers.

Second, I am on high gamestage I guess as I have seen lots of radiated and I need bullets for them. Also I cant melee down zeds when theres multiple ferals and a few others in there. The shotgun messiah is a total bullet sink, and that's kinda bs considering it's a gun tower lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Some funny assumptions your making there. I melee all the time.

Yes things certainly do require more ammo in later game stages, good point. Stealth is never really required, but I try even harder to do it in later stages to conserve ammo, especially in a monster POI like the Shotgun Messiah factory. Dude, I got to the end of that and thought I was well prepared, still had tons of ammo on me, but when I opened that door, you know the one... boy was I wrong. I went out in a screaming rambo rage, I could not fire fast enough, it was beautifully ridiculous.

And yes that POI should have a ton more ammo loot in it, like way more. I had fun doing it the one time, but see no reason to return now that I have seen it, because yeah, is too much of a bullet sink. Does feel really weird walking out of that building in particular after a victory with far less ammo, if you even take enough to begin with, that place was nuts.

Its not an assumption, you said you use 500 ammo in a building.

So your making the assumption i dont melee because I use 500 rounds in a t5 tower. And I'm informing you I do melee, a lot. I just cant melee all the radiated and multiple ferals coming at me. Those towers are pretty crazy in my game.

So your making the assumption i dont melee because I use 500 rounds in a t5 tower. And I'm informing you I do melee, a lot. I just cant melee all the radiated and multiple ferals coming at me. Those towers are pretty crazy in my game.

I guess when I melee "a lot", i dont use near 500 rounds of ammo. Melee and wood spikes take care of 99 percent of the zombies. Ammo is for Oh $hit moments. I dont have 500 ammo worth of oh $hit moments, though i do play very cautiously, because dead is dead for me.

The only penalty of thirst (until it reaches zero at any rate) is that it slows the rate at which stamina refills. If you don’t really notice that your stamina is refilling slowly and you’re not having any problems with doing stamina related actions then you don’t need to drink. When the orange teardrop appears it isn’t critical to drink especially if you didn’t really notice a slowing of the refill rate.

Thirst really is a simple and non threatening status unless you ignore it way past the orange teardrop icon.

Hunger affects how much stamina you have to work with. I’d say you can still be pretty effective with only 90% max stamina and it is very apparent that your max is lower at that point which is still before any orange warning icon appears. Having 150 fullness carries no added benefit over 100 fullness other than the amount of time you’ll have the tru maximum amount of stamina available for your actions.

Are you talking about Alpha 17 or 18?

Because in Alpha 17 hydration if drops to were you see a red icon which is around roughly 30%. You slowly lose health.

I have seen this happen twice so far.

Calm down, I'm sure he didn't mean to crowd your style, and please don't think I'm trying to pile up on you. The forums are jam-packed with jokes that are hard to decipher without sarcasm tags, and if everybody took them seriously, the mods inboxes would be jam-packed with reports.

Off-topic, let's move on.

Try the following trick: Put a wooden frame in front of a door and upgrade it twice. Then open the door and make some noise.

When the zombies are stuck in the door frame, you can kill them one by one with melee. This also works at higher levels of difficulty and saves some ammo.

Yeah when I was working in Argentina I had like 84 roommates for a 8 m2 apartment. When one of us fell asleep they were stacked vertically against the wall, so that the next person could go and fall asleep..

Are you saying that is not normal??

Lol. Roommates or...Inert & dumb Rocks?? (Actually I really really like geology)

Try the following trick: Put a wooden frame in front of a door and upgrade it twice. Then open the door and make some noise.

When the zombies are stuck in the door frame, you can kill them one by one with melee. This also works at higher levels of difficulty and saves some ammo.

I always do this with wood spikes. Ill give a upgraded frame a shot tho.

I guess when I melee "a lot", i dont use near 500 rounds of ammo. Melee and wood spikes take care of 99 percent of the zombies. Ammo is for Oh $hit moments. I dont have 500 ammo worth of oh $hit moments, though i do play very cautiously, because dead is dead for me.

Fair enough

- - - Updated - - -

That's a great idea. Iv been told about it before but I always forget lol

i have a question back way in the day you used to have tungsten will that ever be returning?

Steel works for a high end metal. We have diamonds you can add to a recipe for diamond blade tips and stuff you want something better on.

When madmole mentioned his son liking the game he hinted at the improvement of animations. I looked at the stream videos that prime and the other devs did and found none. Have we seen them yet?

Also, can you deal with the weapon/arm inertia? The swaying looks a bit off like we have slow-mo jelly arms. Not to rip on you guys too hard but the weapon animations have been the worst I've seen in a successful indie first-person shooter.

I hope that is fixed a little or will get a fix in the future. I said this in a later post but probably investing in weapons animator or an extra weapons animator would benefit you guys in the long run.

7 days to die isn't successful because of the combat. It's the mechanics that hold it up but it would help so much if the combat animations were better.

Anything new like a spear was obviously new. Stuff has been getting improved here and there since then. Hunting rifle has a brand new reload.

Weapon bob is procedural and done with UFPS. Brand new healing animation is nice. Brian did all the FP and glory kill anims in Doom 2016 so I think we're in good hands but it might take some time to get everything polished up.

Archived