Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Sorry, but that's nonsense. It's not about any new/complex mechanics like the A17 health/stamina degradation that replaced wellness which you had to experience to exactly know how it works in order to give proper feedback. It's about whether zombies are faster than the player or not - and no, playtime feedback is not required for such a thing, especially considering that I didn't start the game yesterday.

And rage is irrelevant, simply because I am talking about whether the player can run away from zombies. So since I always take words at face value, according to faatal, they are only "about as fast" with rage - so still quite slower at their default nightmare speed. And to suggest that I need to experience this, in order to gauge how it will play out, is just silly.

What's silly and borderline rude is to reply as you did to a post that essentially said, "We've started working on it and solved one of the major problems"

Dev: We've solved one of the problems and are working on it.

Good Reply: Sounds great...can't wait until nightmare speed is actually faster than player speed if that is still the goal. Is that still the ultimate goal?

You're kind of acting like what they are releasing is the intended end product but faatal specifically said they are still working on it. They don't exceed player speed....yet. Maybe your tone came across incorrectly through the text.

This was your first recent post on this subject. MM has said multiple times over the past couple of weeks that TFP wants to have the option of a faster speed but is limited by the current implementation. It’s unclear from Fataal’s post whether or not the issue referenced by MM has been resolved. Regardless, a faster speed was not possible before and may be possible now. Rather than getting all huffy about this why not give TFP a little time since Fataal just made the change.

So any kind of disagreement/discontent equals to "getting all huffy"? Depends what you mean by recent. Already said - the animations have to be synced with the speed so that zombies don't slide etc - the point is choosing that speed. According faatal's words the zombie default speed they chose is still slower than the player's speed. And what I am saying is... bah, the following:

So are u saying that u feel the zombies on the fastest setting should not be slower than the player?

Yes SnowDog, I would say that's pretty accurate.

What's silly and borderline rude is to reply as you did to a post that essentially said, "We've started working on it and solved one of the major problems"

Dev: We've solved one of the problems and are working on it.

Good Reply: Sounds great...can't wait until nightmare speed is actually faster than player speed if that is still the goal. Is that still the ultimate goal?

You're kind of acting like what they are releasing is the intended end product but faatal specifically said they are still working on it. They don't exceed player speed....yet. Maybe your tone came across incorrectly through the text.

What you are doing is outright rude Roland. You are twisting the context for starters. That which you quoted was my reply to you, not faatal. And that was because you tried to dismiss the subject, calling me reactionary and saying that the "patchnote feedback" is inappropriate because zombies being slower or faster needs playtesting. It just doesn't - there is nothing to playtest in this case. You would be correct in most other occasions, but definitely not here. We agreed a few times in the past on this subject - what exactly changed since then if zombies are still slower than the player to warrant playtesting?

The point is - if faatal is working on syncing animations with speed, he has to use a reference speed to do that - which in this case seems to be slower than the player (no rage). Replied that I think it should be faster than the player without raging and explained why giving my feedback as I always do.

What you are doing is outright rude Roland. You are twisting the context for starters. That which you quoted was my reply to you, not faatal. And that was because you tried to dismiss the subject, calling me reactionary and saying that the "patchnote feedback" is inappropriate because zombies being slower or faster needs playtesting. It just doesn't - there is nothing to playtest in this case. You would be correct in most other occasions, but definitely not here. We agreed a few times in the past on this subject - what exactly changed since then if zombies are still slower than the player to warrant playtesting?

The point is - if faatal is working on syncing animations with speed, he has to use a reference speed to do that - which in this case seems to be slower than the player (no rage). Replied that I think it should be faster than the player without raging and explained why giving my feedback as I always do.

Nothing has changed. I want nightmare speed to be faster than players and what I got from faatal's post is that they are on the road to achieving that. You apparently got that they are choosing to fall short of that and leave it that way. Still not sure why you got that from his announcement of having solved the bug that capped the speed.

7 Reasons to Stream

I wish there was some page where we could read:

1 - The number of people who feel personally insulted by TFP for releasing A18 to streamers first

2 - The number of people who feel annoyed because TFP released A18 to streamers first

3 - The number of people who will uninstall the game because TFP released A18 to streamers first

4 - The number of people who think it's a bad business practice releasing A18 to streamers first

5 - The number of people who think a "paying customer" ($10) should be privy and part of A18 development

6 - The number of people who think waiting 2 more days for A18 (after a 6 months wait) is just TOO MUCH to bear!

And finally...

7 - The number of people who just couldn't care less about all that. :pop2::victorious:

1 - The number of people who feel personally insulted by TFP for releasing A18 to streamers first

2 - The number of people who feel annoyed because TFP released A18 to streamers first

3 - The number of people who will uninstall the game because TFP released A18 to streamers first

4 - The number of people who think it's a bad business practice releasing A18 to streamers first

5 - The number of people who think a "paying customer" ($10) should be privy and part of A18 development

6 - The number of people who think waiting 2 more days for A18 (after a 6 months wait) is just TOO MUCH to bear!

And finally...

7 - The number of people who just couldn't care less about all that. :pop2::victorious:

hows the pop corn?

And finally...

I'm number 6

you need to keep up, MM stated this some time ago when I asked. go back a few days. until then your corrections are not always accurate.

edit: tho i really am not sure what causes this problem why radeon 4k is ok, but 8k isnt. I am not a coder, so I have no further knowledge upon this

RWG creates the world using stamps (hightmap images), and applies them (randomly rotated, and scaled) to the world hightmap and biome-map. It gives the developers and artist more handle on creating a realistic looking landscape, compared to classic fractal landscapes.

This can be very memory intensive and slow, and is thus better done in V-Ram by the GPU, as GFX-cards are much more specialized and faster for such operations.

8k and larger map use quite a substantial chunk of V-Ram then. There seems to be some issues running this on Radeon cards.

Nothing has changed. I want nightmare speed to be faster than players and what I got from faatal's post is that they are on the road to achieving that. You apparently got that they are choosing to fall short of that and leave it that way. Still not sure why you got that from his announcement of having solved the bug that capped the speed.

What faatal said:

Nightmare speed will be slightly faster than it was before. I'm not changing that until we have a valid reason after feedback with the rage mechanic

"Not changing that until feedback etc etc" - ergo, what does that tell you? That he can change that, but is not changing that because he wants feedback with the rage mechanic. That's where I got it from.

Nightmare rage is about as fast as the player, but it depends on the walk type, since animation root motion is what drives AI movement on the ground.

Here he is just saying that the model's walk animation type dictates the speed, which afaik is what root motion is about in the first place.

Noting that rage has unfortunately nothing to do with the player being able to casually escape, since it is about fighting zombies, rather than escaping.

what faatal said:

"not changing that until feedback etc etc" - ergo, what does that tell you? That he can change that, but is not changing that because he wants feedback with the rage mechanic. That's where i got it from.

Here he is just saying that the model's walk animation type dictates the speed, which afaik is what root motion is about in the first place.

Noting that rage has unfortunately nothing to do with the player being able to casually escape, since it is about fighting zombies, rather than escaping.

just wait to see how it will be

i want a firefighter Suit , Spear! , 2 number 9's!i want everything

but mostly i want the update but i have to play to tuesday

I feel your pain. We all feel that pain.

BUT, the good news is we can see some ideas on how to start out better, what works in various situations.

I THINK I can crush A18 already but I'm looking for POI tips both melee and ranged to be sure.

It will be fun-like. :)

I feel your pain. We all feel that pain.

BUT, the good news is we can see some ideas on how to start out better, what works in various situations.

I THINK I can crush A18 already but I'm looking for POI tips both melee and ranged to be sure.

It will be fun-like. :)

IK but my internet will be out on Monday and wont come back until 10:00pm and i have to go to sleep

:(

How about reading my post slowly as well to see that I've replied properly to his... points. Or you could even point out to me something to which I failed to reply, instead of, you know, trying to be a wiseass.

I just explained in detail why I considered that nonsense. I think my explanation was quite reasonable. Or care to elaborate in favor the opposite instead of trying your hand at ...psychology?

I can`t wait for your feedback when A18 stable is out.

I believe Madmole said in an earlier post that Nerdy Glasses now just give +10% EXP gain and +1 INT; no crafting tier upgrade anymore.

Too bad but also understandable because crafting in A18 is spread over multiple perks. For me the Lucky Looter glasses and the cigar will be the most important items of clothing in A18.

Hey MM, I appreciate the short a18 explanation in the release notes. I think it's great that you guys put alot of testing into build diversity. Aside from all the new bells and whistles added with a18, I think the time spent balancing all that out is what is really going to make this release shine. Bravo!!!

You are welcome, I put my soul into A18 and A1-16. 13 was a framework build so 14 was much better, 17 was a framework build so 18 is much better and I have 500 hours testing it, so that never happened ever. The most we got was 60 to 100 on any build before I'd guess. Late game is tested up to 100 hours into it. Now that dukes are smeltable I think any late game stage is viable now for sure, brass was the only bottleneck now you can get unlimited brass if you work for it.

Ah, that's a shame. You can get some impressive farts out with ass to grass squats. And you'd better not hold the fart in or hello hernia!

- - - Updated - - -

I suggested a muscle-machine zombie throwing zombie dogs at you.

Hah, Yeah back when I used to leg press 900 to 1000 pounds I'd fart each rep lol. I have a more solid diet now, protein shakes are overrated. I don't even fart any more and i used to be a fart machine. Too many carbs and diary cause gas IMO.

Archived