Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@Madmole With the perk Living Off the Land, when you purchase 2nd tier to get multiple veggies/fruit per harvest, it only works on plants you make but doesn’t work on fields that you find in A17. Is that intentional or has it changed that no matter where you find a plant, you get the perk harvesting bonus in A18? Thanks in advance.

Works as intended.

Thanks for leaving some option for those of us who love the game but suffer vertigo from the default FOV.

In my case it only started happened to me about 18 months ago, until then I was fine. Anything less than 90 makes me ill now.

Also, I can only watch your videos in short bursts (or in a tiny screen) because of that issue (motion blur makes it worse, if you play with that on). Nonetheless, thanks for making them, they provide great conversation topics and information. Though watching you do horde nights next to and in your crafting area is just crazy to me :-)

I do hope we can get a slider back at some point though.

Also, the INT build might get me back to building bases with traps instead of doing blood moons on foot. The thrill of being chased all night while smacking Z's around might be something I can skip for a fun trap setup now that I won't miss any XP or loot.

You'll miss a lot of xp, it scales from 20% to 50% on the last 3 ranks of advanced engineering. Its better than nothing but we felt getting 100% XP was OP.

So rebar frames are useless now other than being able to pick them back up.

I will save the iron that it costs to make rebar frames and just use concrete blocks. Use the iron for forged iron and steel.

What is the downgrade path of concrete blocks now? Still reinforced concrete to nothing or does it go back to regular concrete now?

They aren't useless you don't have to upgrade them twice or wait for 2 sets of concrete to dry. I still use them I don't want to make rounds upgrading every block. I only use concrete because it has all the shapes available in the menu. Rebar won't until A19. They don't take much metal so I still use them a lot.

I read the patch notes for A18, and I'm not going to try and read 1886 Pages of this thread... But I didn't see any mention of AI NPCs... Not in madmoles note or the Patch notes, was this just completely dropped?

Sgt. S.

Not dropped because it wasn't ever on the 18 roadmap. We're working on them though.

I have a GTX 970, which is struggling on medium right now. Anyone here have (or) something similar to the 1660ti ? Was thinking about picking it up so I can run high graphics.

I'm not sure if I should spend more on something better, or if a 1660ti is enough for high settings 60hz.

I have a GTX970 also. I changed my mechanical drive for a good SSD which made a huge difference. Most of my 7DTD settings are on high and I get 60FPS consistently. I also chose a SSD that came with migration software.

How many games out there have such radically different player experiences? That is what I love about 7 days is you see so many different forts and play styles.

ММ, people will eventually find the most optimal base design and zombies will cease to be a threat, this is inevitable, but it can be very delayed.

The idea is that you cannot use the same base design throughout the game. So that the player is not limited only to improving the walls to super material. It is necessary that the player, as the stage of the game grows, be forced to revise the design, constantly refine or even rebuild the base.

Although unique zombie bosses like the demolisher can partially cope with this task, nevertheless, it might be worthwhile to think about changing not only the composition of the horde but also the logic of zombie behavior with the growth of the stage of the game?

Yea, I have 2 MSI RX 480 4G but don't use Crossfire as it was never supported by this game, SIGH,,,

I also as many of you know, MM {He Don't Like It} I play on 3 27" in WSF at 6048 X 1080 W/Bezel/Comp & I have no Lag decent FPS, oh & the glorious 7DTD Sunsets & Sunrises I have from me Parapet...

ММ, people will eventually find the most optimal base design and zombies will cease to be a threat, this is inevitable, but it can be very delayed.

The idea is that you cannot use the same base design throughout the game. So that the player is not limited only to improving the walls to super material. It is necessary that the player, as the stage of the game grows, be forced to revise the design, constantly refine or even rebuild the base.

Although unique zombie bosses like the demolisher can partially cope with this task, nevertheless, it might be worthwhile to think about changing not only the composition of the horde but also the logic of zombie behavior with the growth of the stage of the game?

I support. But also, we don't know what will come with bandits. A bandit raid might mean having to deal with a completely different set of defense parameters... and then having to come up with a design that will work for both situations.

I have a GTX 970, which is struggling on medium right now. Anyone here have (or) something similar to the 1660ti ? Was thinking about picking it up so I can run high graphics.

I'm not sure if I should spend more on something better, or if a 1660ti is enough for high settings 60hz.

I think I have a gtx 960 and it's starting to show its age...😅

I see faatals gears turning....lol

I support. But also, we don't know what will come with bandits. A bandit raid might mean having to deal with a completely different set of defense parameters... and then having to come up with a design that will work for both situations.

Yes, we do not know ... no one knows =)

I'm on board with certain zombies having different behaviors, but changing base zombies behavior mid game wouldn't be cool.

I also as many of you know, MM {He Don't Like It} I play on 3 27" in WSF at 6048 X 1080 W/Bezel/Comp & I have no Lag decent FPS, oh & the glorious 7DTD Sunsets & Sunrises I have from me Parapet...

Thats different, If I'm not mistaken that doesn't stretch your image into a piece of distorted crap.

I think, to avoid predicatable behaviour we actually need more than one AI Pathing logic. Like, so zombie follow the available path, going through tunnel etc, like they do now. But 20% of them just see you and come straight line to you, if any obstacle they hit it mindlessly and break it, and then start coming again. If you are on top then they hit near by pillars or dig ground. 5%-10% of zombie use both in a mix, that if they are 20 blocks away they go through available path, but when on 5 or less block away they rush straight line. This mix will make things more interesting and reduce load of AI path calculation on CPU as all are not finding complex path.

What it currently does is actually a bit more complicated than you make it out to be and straight lines are easily exploited or can look very bad.

An individual AI's path calculation is not expensive and runs on a separate thread. The path grid update is expensive, but is shared by all AI in an area, so if some AI didn't use it, you gain nothing. Each AI's Controller collision checking is expensive and the next area I hope to get good gains from, but animation root motion needs some changes first to not always be moving the entity position around (like idle or wall bashing).

Believe it or not I am going to post something normal, not perverted. Sometimes

Me thinks that A17 is the peak of the this game. However,

I am starting to

have 2nd thoughts and I'm starting to think Alpha

18 might be the best. I mean.. its not an increase of

inches, its an increase by miles.

In Alpha 18 I think I will die more often, and

my play style might need adjustment. I will have to put on my big boy

pants!

Archived