Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

("snip for space")

also there should be more dire (blanks) in a later alpha like dire bears , dire lion etc

But... but what about our future if we start fighting with dire "blanks"? I wonder what Snowdog would think about this matter.

I'm hoping for a shiny new fireman's helmet and book set I'm my boots. I've been mostly good except for whining for a hang glider or parasail.

I already know I'm getting the vehicle run toggle though, so I'm good.

Firefighter’s Helmet

They say Radeon, but not AMD. Is this issue only for older AMD cards, the 300 series and earlier, so Polaris, Vega, and Navi aren't affected? Does VRAM affect this? And what about 16k maps?

Yea, I have 2 MSI RX 480 4G but don't use Crossfire as it was never supported by this game, SIGH,,,

I have a GTX 970, which is struggling on medium right now. Anyone here have (or) something similar to the 1660ti ? Was thinking about picking it up so I can run high graphics.

I'm not sure if I should spend more on something better, or if a 1660ti is enough for high settings 60hz.

@Madmole With the perk Living Off the Land, when you purchase 2nd tier to get multiple veggies/fruit per harvest, it only works on plants you make but doesn’t work on fields that you find in A17. Is that intentional or has it changed that no matter where you find a plant, you get the perk harvesting bonus in A18? Thanks in advance.

Asset bundles from mods are now loaded on game startup instead of when contents of them are first used (e.g. due to spawning an enemy the first time)

I didnt see any reply to this so going to try again.

Can we get an option to disable this?

There are mods out there (and coming) with significant content additions totalling many GB..

The cons from loading all the bundles at start up as opposed to when needed will out weigh some small hitching.

I personally would much rather have that small hitching than have all my VRAM/RAM used when I dont even need that content right now.

You can still wreck your fov however the 17 folks did it :)

Thanks for leaving some option for those of us who love the game but suffer vertigo from the default FOV.

In my case it only started happened to me about 18 months ago, until then I was fine. Anything less than 90 makes me ill now.

Also, I can only watch your videos in short bursts (or in a tiny screen) because of that issue (motion blur makes it worse, if you play with that on). Nonetheless, thanks for making them, they provide great conversation topics and information. Though watching you do horde nights next to and in your crafting area is just crazy to me :-)

I do hope we can get a slider back at some point though.

Also, the INT build might get me back to building bases with traps instead of doing blood moons on foot. The thrill of being chased all night while smacking Z's around might be something I can skip for a fun trap setup now that I won't miss any XP or loot.

Reinforced concrete is twice as expensive in that it takes 20 to upgrade from frames now. Its 10 for regular concrete and 10 to upgrade that again to r concrete, so no matter what your paying full price now, frames are just a convenience feature so you don't make mistakes. That said I need 4 forges with mods burning most of the time just to keep up. I even reduced how much cement you need because it was too grindy.

So rebar frames are useless now other than being able to pick them back up.

I will save the iron that it costs to make rebar frames and just use concrete blocks. Use the iron for forged iron and steel.

What is the downgrade path of concrete blocks now? Still reinforced concrete to nothing or does it go back to regular concrete now?

I have a GTX 970, which is struggling on medium right now. Anyone here have (or) something similar to the 1660ti ? Was thinking about picking it up so I can run high graphics.

I'm not sure if I should spend more on something better, or if a 1660ti is enough for high settings 60hz.

I have a 1660 ti. I run ultra with shadows off and a few other performance robbers off. I get at least 60 frames all the way up to 100 in some scenerios.

I am hoping to max out everything with A18.

Okay. You’re being needlessly reactionary. Faatal said they are working on it and he will continue to refine it. I know for a fact he wants nightmare mode to be the setting where zeds are faster than players but not all the animations and movement types look good when sped up that fast.

They just solved the problem that prevented them from increasing the speed and now they will be working on making it work with animations so it doesn’t look stupid.

It is happening but it isn’t finished.

/chimed

If the zombies are faster than the players, we will need a cat hook and parkour! =)

any chance of removing the caps for attributes? I mean keep it at 10 when naked but allow things like cigars and nerdy glasses to take you over for some nice big bonuses. sorta like Diablo 1 (or was it 2?) where + to skills got exponentially better above the natural max.

Maybe down the road.

I just had an idea for intellect build watching you fight the vultures.

Give the INT build a unique ability to craft and wear electric shock armor. When enemies hits you, the first one will get stunned until the armor recharges again. (timer)

This would give the INT guy an amazing tool against vultures. When the armor is recharged and a vulture attacks you, it drops to the ground and you can finish it off before the shock wears off.

Seems a little OP. An electric fence overhead would do the same thing I think.

You should buy the best you can afford, no sense in getting a card that will be okay for a little while when you can get something that will last much longer and give you better results. You can get a 1070ti, or 1080ti for $500-$600 now. I use a 1080ti and have the graphics set to max and there are no issues at all.

The 1660ti isn't a huge improvement from your 970.

Asset bundles from mods are now loaded on game startup instead of when contents of them are first used (e.g. due to spawning an enemy the first time)

I didnt see any reply to this so going to try again.

Can we get an option to disable this?

There are mods out there (and coming) with significant content additions totalling many GB..

The cons from loading all the bundles at start up as opposed to when needed will out weigh some small hitching.

I personally would much rather have that small hitching than have all my VRAM/RAM used when I dont even need that content right now.

+1 on this one. While with vanilla game it might be fine for having all the bundles loaded up on start, with mods, that have a ton of custom content, having all assets loaded in the memory, that aren't even needed at the given time is just silly. Imagine if a game like GTA5 or Fallout 4 would do that? Both games have over 100gb worth of assets, all of them would not fit into memory all at once and would take forever to load them all up at once.

All assets should never be loaded on game load all at once, but on demand, and if it's forced by A18, please consider making it optional.

I'd at least wait to see how 18 runs first.

Archived