Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Instead of GPS, maybe make zombies see, smell, hear much better and it would make it thrilling even if played in stealth...

Like, suppose the zombies could smell so well, they could follow your scent to establish your location no matter where you are. ;)

I kid, but that's what I imagine the zombies are doing during the blood moon from a role playing perspective. Something about the full moon whips them into a frenzy while heightening their natural senses.

Like, suppose the zombies could smell so well, they could follow your scent to establish your location no matter where you are. ;)

I kid, but that's what I imagine the zombies are doing during the blood moon from a role playing perspective. Something about the full moon whips them into a frenzy while heightening their natural senses.

I want to know why the moon takes 4 hours to go over, but the sun takes 18 hours and still it never catches the sun.

But seriously, the phase of the moon could be an indicator of when a blood moon is coming assuming that it could change. Or you could have a number of moons (the one moon was fractured at the beginning of the Apocalypse) that when they align or a number of them align then a blood hoard is triggered the next night. Gives a warning if you are watching and could be made to make it seem a bit random.

Maybe this much talked about new buff system could apply to enemies. A regular Zombie Boe has his regular loot list, but if he has the 'bloodmoon' buff, his loot is somehow enhanced (higher quality, greater chance of quests... enhanced could mean a lot of things). This would also be a better way to give the feral versions of zombies better loot than what's done now (using fat zombie loot as an all-purpose 'slightly better than normal' loot list).

I like this idea and whole heartily agree, but I still get a good amount of satisfaction on surviving the 7th night without dying

I think thats one of the big problems with the 7th day horde nights.. there no reward for surviving and defending a base. Loot drops are poor, and the only thing you can gain is experience, BUT if your base defenses are doing all the work, you don't even get that extra exp.

There needs to be a beneficial reason to remain in your base, let it take the punishment, and survive without a casualty. Right now its smarter and much easier to just go camp out in a ruined building at the top for the night.

I kind of agree. The thing is, unless purely killing hundreds of zombies for the joy of it is what you like (like me) or you love the tower defense aspect of the game, fighting against the horde isn't really that worth it. You waste a ton of ammo and it's a lot easier to just stay on the rooftop of a building till it passes.

It's kind of discouraging to know that you could just spend the night on some ruined building that you don't care about instead of building a giant fortress only for it to slowly get wrecked by zombies. I mean, I know that's the whole point and it's fun, but when there are easier and cheaper solutions to it then it's just a bit frustrating.

The only solution I see to that problem would be for zombies to be able to reach players more efficiently so that just camping on an abandoned house's attic isn't enough to survive the horde. Having an awesome fortress should be necessary at least at some point to survive.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this much talked about new buff system could apply to enemies. A regular Zombie Boe has his regular loot list, but if he has the 'bloodmoon' buff, his loot is somehow enhanced (higher quality, greater chance of quests... enhanced could mean a lot of things). This would also be a better way to give the feral versions of zombies better loot than what's done now (using fat zombie loot as an all-purpose 'slightly better than normal' loot list).

I feel like that would make players OP by the end of the 2nd horde. It's already kind of easy to get good gear if you know where to look.

Reputation idea for 7 day hordes: (When implemented) What if on horde night you can choose to fly a flag of a certain group of your choosing. After surviving the horde, they would tally up all your horde kills; personal kills = +3 while passive kills (spikes, traps, etc.) = +1 with special infected scaling these value. They would then give you a massive amount of reputation for that group and X amount of loot caches (with a chance for group specific items, i.e. Duke's Hammer) depending on how you did on horde night. This will also come with a rare chance to get an "epic quality" quest from the specific group.

I don't know, just trying to come up with ways to reward players for fighting the horde. Of course if you don't like the hordes you can still earn reputation and rare quests in between hordes.

- back from hibernation -

I really dislike referring to Dying Light every time. But I feel it approaches several things combat related so much better than 7 Days. The special zombies there really make you feel like yer gonna die if you make a mistake. And that when you die it's your fault.

In 7days it's always some dog hitting you from 6+ blocks away, or some other zombie randomly hitting you while doing pirouettes at the speed of light and stunning you.

That said, I'm 100% sure every player could eventually learn to either negate or work around any zombie or horde in general if needed. And everyone could get a 0 death on any difficulty as well. It's really not that hard. The gameplay surrounding combat and involving: Kill + reward is lacking a lot. Structural repairs being the biggest issue atm. (Yes small bases take less resources but c'mon, only hobos live in a 6 x 6 steel bunker!)

Playing with starvation mod atm, and it really adds a lot that the vanilla game is lacking. But there's still a lot room for even more stuff. However it requires so much RAM from the servers.... Devs need to fix that first if possible before broadening the entire game.

There's plenty of ideas for improvement, but will the servers ever be able to handle it plus will the devs have to the time to add it all?

When we were playing in our massive fortress with 3-4 players online, the server would rack 5-6 GB RAM easily.

I think any MP server with a population of 10+ players or more structural stuff added be it mods or future content would require so much RAM that no one can afford it anymore ^^

Batman,

Woah...you spelled brooding as h-i-b-e-r-n-a-t-i-o-n. Everyone knows you go off at times to brood about all the crime that exists and also about your parents. You've been away staring at their portraits all this time. Its fine. Welcome back.

Optimizations are ongoing...

I feel like [buffing loot from blood moon zombies] would make players OP by the end of the 2nd horde. It's already kind of easy to get good gear if you know where to look.

Well, everything's relative. If that means you get the good stuff too early, there are ways to nerf everything down a notch so that what we now consider average gear becomes good gear. For instance, in ComSenMod I made a new 'trash' quality template, so that garbage cans and dumpsters have below-average quality loot.

I want to know why the moon takes 4 hours to go over, but the sun takes 18 hours and still it never catches the sun.

But seriously, the phase of the moon could be an indicator of when a blood moon is coming assuming that it could change. Or you could have a number of moons (the one moon was fractured at the beginning of the Apocalypse) that when they align or a number of them align then a blood hoard is triggered the next night. Gives a warning if you are watching and could be made to make it seem a bit random.

If you're a purist, you can play with 12-hour days and 12-hour nights. You might be the first player to ever do that, though. :D

I just assumed the moon already changed phases every night, but I never looked at it closely on non-horde nights. I bet Roland could get behind going by the moon phases instead of a UI element. :)

If you're a purist, you can play with 12-hour days and 12-hour nights. You might be the first player to ever do that, though. :D

I just assumed the moon already changed phases every night, but I never looked at it closely on non-horde nights. I bet Roland could get behind going by the moon phases instead of a UI element. :)

Doesn't even need to be moon phases.

Just make the night before change to the wasteland spectrum, then red (like it is) for the blood moon. No need for the wastelands to have that spectrum constantly, just make it more smokey or what not.

In 7days it's always some dog hitting you from 6+ blocks away, or some other zombie randomly hitting you while doing pirouettes at the speed of light and stunning you.

That said, I'm 100% sure every player could eventually learn to either negate or work around any zombie or horde in general if needed. And everyone could get a 0 death on any difficulty as well. It's really not that hard. The gameplay surrounding combat and involving: Kill + reward is lacking a lot. Structural repairs being the biggest issue atm. (Yes small bases take less resources but c'mon, only hobos live in a 6 x 6 steel bunker!)

Playing with starvation mod atm, and it really adds a lot that the vanilla game is lacking. But there's still a lot room for even more stuff. However it requires so much RAM from the servers.... Devs need to fix that first if possible before broadening the entire game.

There's plenty of ideas for improvement, but will the servers ever be able to handle it plus will the devs have to the time to add it all?

When we were playing in our massive fortress with 3-4 players online, the server would rack 5-6 GB RAM easily.

I think any MP server with a population of 10+ players or more structural stuff added be it mods or future content would require so much RAM that no one can afford it anymore ^^

Batman,

• Dead Until Daylight has a pretty good combat and I hope gold 7D has something comparable. It's not there now, but neither was RWG during A8, it's all relative.

• The six blocks away dog comment is largely false, I've played dozens of hours of A16 and while the circling issue has been rampant, I've yet to get hit from far away like I have in previous alphas. Maybe it's the server you're playing with latency issues.

• Starvation is cool and good.

• I think at some point we need to evaluate why a zombie horde knows where you are once a week other than "Game design balance". Maybe the endgame content would be eliminating zombie infested POI's instead of just looting them and killing sleepers. Maybe some sort of system could be implemented where the more unattended zombie activity there is, the greater chance of a 7D type horde. Clear out a town completely, you're good for a few days. I'd also like to see infestation sites ala State of Decay. You have POI's that are infested and spawn zombies.

I get hit from 10 feet away all the time, sometimes when they aren't even swinging in my direction. I'd die much less if I didn't. Got bleeding out 3 times from 3 lumberjacks in a row just tonight, not one of them was ever close enough to hit me when they swung. Had the bandages to cover it but still annoying. Ping is pretty much always 50-100max with 2 players. When we tried a "local hosted dedicated" the one who was running the dedi thought it was even worse for him than usual even though he was only at 20 ping on the same computer(pretty decent PC too, he just upgraded it). But then the next week I couldn't even see the server so we gave up on that idea anyway.

The moon does change phases but I have no idea how it's scheduled. I had thought at one point it might be cool to have the phases take a week so every full moon is blood moon. Still not sure why it sometimes turns blue though.

Sometimes the graphics losses synchronization with the combat results. This is the reason I think the game uses service calls. I'm not a fan of SOC because you would need a transaction to keep graphics and combat in sync. But then, your character could be moved back to the start of an attack every time something attacked you.

Just say no to SOC.

I bet Roland could get behind going by the moon phases instead of a UI element. :)

That does put the shizzle in my dizzle.

Still not sure why it sometimes turns blue though.

As long as it only happens once in a very great while... immersion is maintained! Too frequent blue moons is the epitome of unrealistic mechanics.

That does put the shizzle in my dizzle.

As long as it only happens once in a very great while... immersion is maintained! Too frequent blue moons is the epitome of unrealistic mechanics.

Our connotations (I'll even inc the wife) of what a 'blue moon' is seem to be a little different... (but 'fit' very nicely (or not!) with 'unrealistic mechanics'...)

Archived