1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

What a awfull idea.

After that

No more Death is Death player

No more Casual playerthat play only all few weeks

No more "i log fast out and go to pee" player (Wow thats means all player i guess)

Agreed.

No more logging out to get away from bloodmoon. That'd be a ton of fun (sarcasim), having to log on our server every 7 hours like clockwork just to go on bloodmoon patrol for all the newbies because it's day 300+

For me, there is a point where the 7 day hordes become too nuts. I'm sure some who cheat up magical weapons and ammo or use exploits, might enjoy the anarchy. But for most who actually work RL days for everything they have, the 7 day horde becomes a negative experience.

People who try to force people to play part of a game they don't enjoy, are simply, crazy.

For me, there is a point where the 7 day hordes become too nuts. I'm sure some who cheat up magical weapons and ammo or use exploits, might enjoy the anarchy. But for most who actually work RL days for everything they have, the 7 day horde becomes a negative experience.

People who try to force people to play part of a game they don't enjoy, are simply, crazy.

I agree with that. I would like GPS horde taken out and allow stealth to be used to avoid blood moon hordes. Put in some risk-worthy awards for facing the horde and it's up to the player if he wants to do that.

Instead of GPS, maybe make zombies see, smell, hear much better and it would make it thrilling even if played in stealth...

I agree with that. I would like GPS horde taken out and allow stealth to be used to avoid blood moon hordes. Put in some risk-worthy awards for facing the horde and it's up to the player if he wants to do that.

Instead of GPS, maybe make zombies see, smell, hear much better and it would make it thrilling even if played in stealth...

Alternatively you could build a small place that you don't give a damn about away from your pretty base put a sleeping bag down and fight the horde? best of both worlds.

Ah, I see you are new to the game! Welcome!

Lmao I been here since alpha 5 lol. If that makes me new lol than thanks haha. Nah its nore people need to understamd tue processess.

1. Each dev team is different and does things differently.

2. Easy release smaller patches = more problems.

3. Smaller patches = longer time to make game

4. Company goes bankrupt cause of the smaller updates due to the costs involved

5. Modding community which = the games future after game goes gold and after tfp finish it up Inc dlc leave and or become unhappy

6. Programmers clash due to the small updates not working with each other as easily.

Alternatively you could build a small place that you don't give a damn about away from your pretty base put a sleeping bag down and fight the horde? best of both worlds.

If you talking about a non exploitive fort, it would not be so small and if ammo was an issue which it is for most non-cheating players, then the fort starts getting huge.

So now the late game horde night become a HUGE grind of making enough reinforced concrete blocks to replace blocks destroyed PLUS an increase of around 10%-20% MORE blocks to soak up the ever stronger hoards. It starts taking game days to make your "small" fort ready for the next horde.

Not fun in my books or I bet most people who do not cheat or exploit.

If you talking about a non exploitive fort, it would not be so small and if ammo was an issue which it is for most non-cheating players, then the fort starts getting huge.

So now the late game horde night become a HUGE grind of making enough reinforced concrete blocks to replace blocks destroyed PLUS an increase of around 10%-20% MORE blocks to soak up the ever stronger hoards. It starts taking game days to make your "small" fort ready for the next horde.

I don't cheat or exploit.

Nah just generally make it out of wood, experiment with different placement styles it is possible to not build an over complicated horde fort (and i stress the not giving a damn about it so doesn't matter if it gets destroyed wood is easy to replace) and survive but if you don't then well you put a bed down so you can respawn or wait till morning to respawn instead of logging out at least you gave the horde a fight and you never know you might survive and surprise yourself as well as giving you a heroic story.

In reference to late game/high gamestage... yeah that needs to be tweaked it's no fun getting an army of feral irradiated zombies no matter what kind of fort you build.

Some mods I consider auto cheating, but I can agree early game. Its fun, its doable.

I only play one life per game. Not surviving in a survival game is a restart in my books. So around day 70 things start getting really freaky.

Two days in a row, while I was in the trader, I had first two feral cops attack me WHILE TRADING, the next day two feral wights attacked me while trading. I jumped over the traders fence and headed home to patch up both times, but if I had died, then that game would have been DONE. Never figured out what caused that exactly.

Lmao I been here since alpha 5 lol. If that makes me new lol than thanks haha. Nah its nore people need to understamd tue processess.

1. Each dev team is different and does things differently.

2. Easy release smaller patches = more problems.

3. Smaller patches = longer time to make game

4. Company goes bankrupt cause of the smaller updates due to the costs involved

5. Modding community which = the games future after game goes gold and after tfp finish it up Inc dlc leave and or become unhappy

6. Programmers clash due to the small updates not working with each other as easily.

Yeah I know you've been around very long (like I have), but your statements seemed a bit.. naïve. No offence of course. Longer development time does not equate more content. It could, but it could very well not be. Longer development does not equate more bugs squashed. It could, but it could very well not be.

I think it might be a bit naïve, equating the exponential growth in development time over the past 2-3 Alpha's to more content, with less bugs.

I don't cheat or exploit.

Nah just generally make it out of wood, experiment with different placement styles it is possible to not build an over complicated horde fort (and i stress the not giving a damn about it so doesn't matter if it gets destroyed wood is easy to replace) and survive but if you don't then well you put a bed down so you can respawn or wait till morning to respawn instead of logging out at least you gave the horde a fight and you never know you might survive and surprise yourself as well as giving you a heroic story.

In reference to late game/high gamestage... yeah that needs to be tweaked it's no fun getting an army of feral irradiated zombies no matter what kind of fort you build.

Wood? Really? Not past D21 or so..... If you're using wood for a horde base then in reality you are just fighting em out on the street cause that wood ain't stopping Jack.

Don't get me wrong I will exploit some things.

For example, Screamers are loot machines in the right situation.

1) Find the trader with the barbed wire all around it with the wooden walls.

2) Make a base next to it, underground is preferable and start cooking and forging like you are a Dwarf from Moria!

3) Wait till you hear a screamer then come out, get her screaming and run into the fort. (double 'E' the gates for a quick open/close)

4) Then from the inside melee them and loot them, this takes practice. If they're all stuck into the barbed wire, you can hop over the wall and work your way around the walls, looting and melee as you go. At very late game, the last part is not advised, stay inside and loot. :)

You can keep this up from sun up to sun down!

My modified B. T. Barnum quote: "Never give a zombie an even break". :)

Wood? Really? Not past D21 or so..... If you're using wood for a horde base then in reality you are just fighting em out on the street cause that wood ain't stopping Jack.

Wood blocks (upgraded should probably have stated that) in various formations allowing you to jump from one to another, funnel zombies, make them confused, slow them down..Also logs and spikes help a lot. I never said it would be easy but with some forward thinking you can surprise yourself. Also i did address late game/gamestage needed tweaking as its not viable past day 28-35 for me. Of course i die a few times while playing so my GS might not be as elite as some coz i take risks early game.

I just hope the game gets better in A17, in A16 by the time I hit char level 40-50 ish, which takes me by day 10 usually sometimes day 14, I am bored, as I have quality 400-450 tools/craftable weapons, usually have bought decent armor on the trader and then its like... What is there to do? I don't usually use guns as making the ammo is a pain in the ass with how many stations it needs, I miss being able to put ammo together in my inv, so this leaves me with bow/xbow/melee stuff.

The enemies are also very boring, nevermind the fact they are all carbon copy clones of each other (which shouldn't even be possible for the human enemies), we need more variety like monsters and such, even have a toggle to turn them on/off for the purists. Even something like maybe 5-6 diffrent skins for each zombie type would help, this is what Ark survival evolved does.. Then again ark also has slightly randomized stats and leveled enemies so no 2 are exactly alike. 7dtd needs something like this.

Modders would do it but currently the game is a pain in the ass to add new textures/models too due to the dumb ass way unity is setup relying on package files, and seemingly unable to override textures in the package files with one in a mod/override folder.

I wouldn't mind the taking 9 months to a year for a new release of alpha if they would fix the main gripes, and I mean the ones that are possible. Such as the crappy loot in the buildings as you travel up to the top. Towers, put loot on the hard to kill zombies, the irradiated, irradiated ferals, cops and others that you spend a lot of bullets to kill but no loot.

It went from way too much loot in A15 to almost no loot in A16 and crappy loot on horde night. Shamwiches, really? You kill s cop and get a shamwitch, or the tourist and get some other useless items. Or nothing at all, which seems to be more common.

I know others have their own pet peeves, but that seems to be one that I see a lot of players complain about and I think is downright ridicules, pimps want players to get out and fight the zombies but don't make it worthwhile.

Lets have two or three wandering hordes come and interrupt your repairs from the attack on horde night and you have to kill off a group of military zombies, one that has bikers, strippers, Edgar, the punk and some others that are harder to kill mixed in and you don't get anything work keeping to make it worth the distractions.

Yeah I know you've been around very long (like I have), but your statements seemed a bit.. naïve. No offence of course. Longer development time does not equate more content. It could, but it could very well not be. Longer development does not equate more bugs squashed. It could, but it could very well not be.

I think it might be a bit naïve, equating the exponential growth in development time over the past 2-3 Alpha's to more content, with less bugs.

That is also true lol. I was more pointing out possible benefits to a longer dev cycle lol...... it does vary. Depends what the devs are successful in implementing to... and what causes headaches and whether those headaches are worth the wait etc etc lol.......

What a awfull idea.

After that

No more Death is Death player

No more Casual playerthat play only all few weeks

No more "i log fast out and go to pee" player (Wow thats means all player i guess)

Play how you want of course, but I don't see how the ability to disappear whenever you want to avoid danger is at all in the spirit of a 'dead is dead' mode. Yeah, you have to log out for real life reasons, but logging out deliberately to remove the risks for 'dead is dead' seems like missing the point.

I just hope the game gets better in A17, in A16 by the time I hit char level 40-50 ish, which takes me by day 10 usually sometimes day 14, I am bored, as I have quality 400-450 tools/craftable weapons, usually have bought decent armor on the trader and then its like... What is there to do? I don't usually use guns as making the ammo is a pain in the ass with how many stations it needs, I miss being able to put ammo together in my inv, so this leaves me with bow/xbow.

If your bored you can:

Build a floating hot tub!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23540[/ATTACH]

Royal Deluxe's idea made into hot tub perfection by Al.

Or make the worlds largest and tallest building using only pick axe and other hand tools!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23541[/ATTACH]

Each one of the main supports has 200 steel! (If you look closely it's 4 poles near each main pillar.)

There is plenty to do, if you want :)

Play how you want of course, but I don't see how the ability to disappear whenever you want to avoid danger is at all in the spirit of a 'dead is dead' mode. Yeah, you have to log out for real life reasons, but logging out deliberately to remove the risks for 'dead is dead' seems like missing the point.

And was not what i meaned, i meaned if you log out after a Gamesession to sleep in reallife (Sorry i really need that) it would be a "ragequit game" reason if you start the game next day and you spawn as fresh lvl 1.

We had this allready, was named MD5. Exact this is it how it would feel

Part of the whole "survival game" thing is knowing when not to fight. If there isn't enough reward for the risk, and 7th's almost always fall in that category, the smart survivor tries to avoid the large group of unusually motivated zombies.

I've had 7th's that turned out to not be worth the ARROW expenditure, can't imagine how upset I'd have been if I'd been using brass half the night.

Another 7th tactic I haven't seen mentioned much is using a city block as expendable obstacles. It's not all that hard to keep 'em bashing walls, picking off a few here and there, without doing much more than placing a few blocks to get yourself from building to building. Probably wouldn't work with all feral cops but at the low to middle game stages letting a few junk buildings get wrecked is a perfectly reasonable way to get through a 7th.

The real problem in any project is: as the system gets more complex, it becomes harder to get your mind wrapped around it. If the team doesn't try to hide complexity every step of the way then they could do a lot of wheel spinning and going nowhere. One way is to keep each subsystem, class and even sub procedures loosely coupled. Then they can work on squeezing out some optimization once its all running in beta.

It also appears they are using service calls in SP, is it easier to code for both MP and SP? I don't know. If your the only one using your computer, you don't need service calls IMO.

Exploitive?

There's a way to arrange 7-12 wood/frames (better as blocks) to survive just about any horde. (7th day, wandering, dog pack, or 7+ wolves on day 2+) (Will not work for behemoths!) I don't consider it exploitive as it's allowed in the game - and it's exactly what I would do in real life.

Having said that, I typically only use wood blocks on early days. by day 45 I have concrete and metal trusses. (need very little repair - if any). (I also have a very SIMPLE base nearby. basically just a square bldg for crafting and storage - and a 'garage').

But, just for fun, will take on day 70+ hordes with only a few wood blocks. (I don't use rockets and am way too wussy to take on 6 feral cops and/or 11+ screamers without them.)

Part of the whole "survival game" thing is knowing when not to fight. If there isn't enough reward for the risk, and 7th's almost always fall in that category, the smart survivor tries to avoid the large group of unusually motivated zombies.

I've had 7th's that turned out to not be worth the ARROW expenditure, can't imagine how upset I'd have been if I'd been using brass half the night.

Another 7th tactic I haven't seen mentioned much is using a city block as expendable obstacles. It's not all that hard to keep 'em bashing walls, picking off a few here and there, without doing much more than placing a few blocks to get yourself from building to building. Probably wouldn't work with all feral cops but at the low to middle game stages letting a few junk buildings get wrecked is a perfectly reasonable way to get through a 7th.

I think thats one of the big problems with the 7th day horde nights.. there no reward for surviving and defending a base. Loot drops are poor, and the only thing you can gain is experience, BUT if your base defenses are doing all the work, you don't even get that extra exp.

There needs to be a beneficial reason to remain in your base, let it take the punishment, and survive without a casualty. Right now its smarter and much easier to just go camp out in a ruined building at the top for the night.

I think thats one of the big problems with the 7th day horde nights.. there no reward for surviving and defending a base. Loot drops are poor, and the only thing you can gain is experience, BUT if your base defenses are doing all the work, you don't even get that extra exp.

There needs to be a beneficial reason to remain in your base, let it take the punishment, and survive without a casualty. Right now its smarter and much easier to just go camp out in a ruined building at the top for the night.

Maybe this much talked about new buff system could apply to enemies. A regular Zombie Boe has his regular loot list, but if he has the 'bloodmoon' buff, his loot is somehow enhanced (higher quality, greater chance of quests... enhanced could mean a lot of things). This would also be a better way to give the feral versions of zombies better loot than what's done now (using fat zombie loot as an all-purpose 'slightly better than normal' loot list).

Archived