Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Maybe someone can help me, and I can relay some of my impressions of Alpha 17 at the same time.

Early game feels more dangerous than before, which, in and of itself, is not necessarily a bad thing. However, it feels like the reason for the increase in difficulty is because Zombies seem to be able to locate me from ridiculously far away; unless I'm more or less standing perfectly still in a dark room with, hopefully, several blocks between me and the 'outside', zombies seem to be able to locate me. I attempt to keep my noise levels as low as I possibly can, but the problem with this is that, in attempting to clear out a house or something similar to spend the first night in, the act of clearing it out attracts more zombies, and then dealing with those zombies attracts more zombies. It's very difficult to do much of anything when everything I do attracts zombies, and they have an uncanny knack for noticing me through walls and at extreme distances. While I feel it's easier, somewhat, in Alpha 17 to kill individual zombies, the fact that it seems next to impossible for me to kill zombies without attracting more zombies means that I have to spend most of my time killing zombies instead of building up defenses or offensive capabilities to deal with zombies.

After doing the first quests you get 5 perk points. I would suggest buying a point "from the shadows". Also collect enough feathers to have ~30 arrows at nightfall. Find a small poi or even a ruin. In the POI remove any stairs and keep to the first floor and stay stealthed. If a zombie sees you, you have multiple ways to deal with it:

1) Move to the other side of the house and wait until the Z looses your scent and stops hitting the walls

2) Kill it with the arrows. That should normally not draw further zombies. If you can't see the zombie from your place, wait for it to work towards you or add wood frames at approrpriate places to get more of the house into view.

3) Just wait, one single zombie can't destroy a house in one night.

In b199 it could be up to two zombies finding me on the first night. In b240 wandering zombies were greatly reduced, most nights (even later) I get zero visitors even if I dismantle the house in the night for valuable stuff

... I think that either thinks like basic cooking should not be gated, or that something like a system where you get a certain number of 'freebie' points to purchase one level of a couple of skills, or maybe two at a much increased cost, would be somewhat helpful. Presumably people had jobs and hobbies before the zombie apocalypse, and I imagine the average adult can at least do basic cooking.

How is basic cooking gated? You can immediately (after doing the tutorial quests) buy one level of "chef" without ANY points into int.

You get 5 perk points if you do the 5? tutorial quests in the beginning (you get the points when you have done the "place the campfire" quest, no need to do the "find the trader" quest).

OK i must be doing something wrong. How do you deal with HEAT/COLD those are pretty much off limits for me, even late game!! meaning 70% of the map!!! what is the secret?? I wear shorts, tank top, and poncho in desert but still the heat is unbearable!!! WTHeck. Please help.. and thanks..

OK i must be doing something wrong. How do you deal with HEAT/COLD those are pretty much off limits for me, even late game!! meaning 70% of the map!!! what is the secret?? I wear shorts, tank top, and poncho in desert but still the heat is unbearable!!! WTHeck. Please help.. and thanks..

You -must- read the Journal entries. It's an entirely new ballgame for Hot/Cold. Tip: Leather Trench Coat, BDU Top/Pants.

oh, and sorry to say, no Yucca Cooling.

In every armor part a cooling and a heating mod and you can stand all weater at lvl1 (means no perk necessary)

EB884A551B218C6EF569258805424ACE06DF7C61

But sure, this is endgame equip. Start and midgame it can be a problem

Speedtree has been in for quite a while but, along with the rest of the terrain system, it's having a major update to bring it up to modern standards.

Who knows? It might even be worth using Unity's own internal terrain engine after all of this time. The old system was klunky and slow when it was first implemented, it's just an embarrassment now :-)

New speedtree. 8, with "single draw call trees". Not old. (Thanks Dust!)

Q1: Get material xyz and repair my forge

Q2: make me 50 Brick blocks

(after that the compound get a upgrade)

Q3: Get material xyz and repair my Mixer

Q4: make me 50 wet concrete blocks

Q5: Get material xyz and repair my Workbench

Q7: Make me (...something not gated?)

Q8: Get material xyz and repair my Chemistry Station

Q9: Make me 1000 Paint

"Thank you. i reduce the prices by 10% for you and you can stay here during nights"

This could be cool.

With this kind of trader upgrade option, the forge can still be level gated as it is now. You then get the choice between: Going directly for the forge in the skill tree, or go combat skills and doing the trader quests for forge access...

I like it :)

For desert you have to wear:

The Duster (not the poncho)

Tank Top

Shorts

Bandana

Cowboy Hat

Leather Boots

That takes care of the heat. If you want to wear a mining helmet at night you'll have to perk into the weather resistance or use armor mods.

That's the only way I've found to deal with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26804[/ATTACH]

I do not like this, doesn't make sense..

I think the Green and Red are mistakenly in Reverse..

I think same as an UX designer.

Have a happy new year you pieces of awesome survivors ;)

Btw, has anyone tried 7 days to die on Nvidia Now (game cloud service) . Any feedback ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26804[/ATTACH]

I do not like this, doesn't make sense..

I think the Green and Red are mistakenly in Reverse..

yes x 1000. As a WoW player (former actually) i can't tell you how confusing that setup is. I swear somewhere lives in backwards world on this team.

Red should mean I do NOT want to switch it out. Since red is universally known as stop! no! discard!

so edit xml to turn weather off, check. ahhhh the hot/cold re-fudging has started again.

70% of map unassailable until I have "Been lucky" enough to be able to mod EVERY piece of armor. How delightful!

Can we just lose the whole weather thing already.

In the beginning you can spare some Mods by clothes for Hot or cold clima

And you can choose to skill the perk

When weather survival was introduced, it was whacky and too extreme. Prior to a17 they've played with values but hadn't made any major changes.

A17 they seemed to have just given up and made all clothes cool AND warm you, so essentially you're going to be wearing the same thing in the desert and the snow.

I predict the entire thing gets removed, instead of fixed, because it'll be "not fun".

yes x 1000. As a WoW player (former actually) i can't tell you how confusing that setup is. I swear somewhere lives in backwards world on this team.

Red should mean I do NOT want to switch it out. Since red is universally known as stop! no! discard!

I thought i was the only one glad thats not the case!!! :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!

When weather survival was introduced, it was whacky and too extreme. Prior to a17 they've played with values but hadn't made any major changes.

A17 they seemed to have just given up and made all clothes cool AND warm you, so essentially you're going to be wearing the same thing in the desert and the snow.

I predict the entire thing gets removed, instead of fixed, because it'll be "not fun".

I like the new system better than the old system. It's kind of tiered clothing. It needs some balancing but it's definitely workable.

Archived