Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I have pouncho, tshort, shorts on... yet I get sweltering at 35C. Come on man, it is tough but not non workable.. they should increase range of temperature from to 55C and then it is unbearable above 40C .. and it should fall down 15-20C on rain if it happens.

Does no one read the stats of items anymore? The poncho isn't the "coolest" piece now, the duster is much better even in hot weather.

It shows you if the item you are mousing over is better or worse.

This issue is the same as inverting the mouse Y axis. You can argue all day that it's right or wrong but for some people it will feel right and for others wrong.

There is no such thing as a reason.

No, but there are conventions, all shooters use asdw for moving, space is jumping .... and red means new stuff is worse. This is like a UI standard everyone is used to. I played dozens of RPGs and if comparisons are shown, it is always red = worse or alternatively minus sign = worse on the new item. Also WoW, Diablo.

I did adapt to the current style, but it always takes me a second more to interpret the display.

The fact Aiming costs Stamina is really dumb.

You're shooting Zombies, all of a sudden you fall or something, you're dead because of no Stamina. :f

Do you die on falling without stamina? That's a surprise

I live in a country where you can stand in one place and need to change from summer clothes to winter clothes in a few minutes to maintain a stable body temperature.

Having a separate backpack slot for clothes negates the negative aspects of clothing entirely, there would be little point having a temperature system.

yeah... I get your point Gronk. Other than the intial search for clothes. Which is quite different in A17; at day 19 atm, no BDUs yet, but a couple dusters. But yeah, once you have the 'right' bits.

Guess I was just thinking mainly of rl backpacking in the Sierras. You -always- carry winter gear. Sure the lightest most compressible stuff possible, but it's just a must have 3-4 pounds or so.

Though I could, could mind you :) , counter argue that the current clothes setup almost negates the weather as well. Who ever takes their duster off once you have it? Likewise the BUDs.

Anyway, guess to much 'real' in my thoughts, heh. Keep wishing for stuff sacks to corral up all the fiddly bits instead of 1 feather taking up a slot. :)

<snipped for space>

I think the benefits of the duster may be overstated in extremely cold weather. The duster is essentially a leather trench-coat, not a woolen great-coat. Plenty of mid-European soldiers found out to their dismay that one is significantly warmer than the other.

And most of what I'm reading in the last few posts is , "I don't know how to invest xp points properly or play a17 as intended, so I'll just change it."

Imho its FAR better to play the new system long enough to see where they are going with it, and THEN offer useful criticism.

At level 75, I have zero problems with stamina and temperature management, and whe gotten to the point we need to finally use traps to thin the horde night herds. We still want the defense xp, but there are just too many and too many higher tier ones to clear them during the night, which is good.

The things I'm seeing that needs tweaking are

Loot bags are quite rare, and they NEED to stick around long enough to get after horde nights as the reward for defending. Thankfully we can do that in the xml.

The bike needs to be earlier game, maybe found in garages? The minibike could be earlier... the timeframes between getting the minibike and motorcycle is too short, and in many cases the trader only offers quests early game that are tough to get to and make it back in a day even with the minibike.

Imho the gyro should also be available earlier as well.. level 100 seems a bit high, possibly past the point where you want to reroll a new world. Maybe unlocked at level 80 instead?

Lights are still screwy... the spotlight should be pretty bright like streetlights, and the mining helmet is too bright close up... the mining helmet should cast light the same range. ...but not completely wash everything out to white in front of you. I read lightning is possibly changeable in the xml now, so I wasnt to look to see what's possible tweak wise.

Oh, and the mod to nerf irradiated healing is great! We've yet to find the jump boots mod or the softer landing mods, but I'm wanting mod really gun game changer mods like them!

I've seen head smashes, but not limb dismemberment... that would be great for the machete.

A jump mod for the ground vehicles would be fun, and maybe also a jump barrel roll mod that dismembers zombies that are hit while it's in play? You barrel roll over them. Knocking limbs off if you hit them.

If the gyro is driven on the ground, does the blade chop off heads ....if it doesn't, it should.

That might be a fun later game horde night defense gameplay mechanic. Maybe the gyro could take minor damage from the hits that so after a time you would need to get out and repair it? Maybe .5% health loss per hit?

We'r are having more actual fun with a17 than all of the a16 run. A15 was more fun than a16 imho (the spinning AI shouldn't have been allowed in the stable) but a17 is back to the "we REALLY want to play again" state.

A few things I'd like to see in pont releases are:

Being able to encounter static survivors (much like the traders) with quests, and rare rewards for those quests (like the jump boots, or the spiked club mods) to make finding survivors a good reason to explore poison. They could just be found in safe rooms (like the traders) ...and the player models could be used as place holders until really nice looking new ones are created.

Being able to create and save pois is great, BUT it's just a start. We need the capability to tag them as residential, inner city, farm, wilderness, desert, snow, woodland ect for rwg placement, as well as mark sleeper positions, cache locations, and road/gravel path connection.

Once we have those, we need the random world generator to be able to add those new saved pois to a new world roll.

I'm thinking some thing like the modlet system... saved pois are in a new poi folder, and those are added to the potential poi mix on world generation.

Once that is in place, adding a poi library with a thumbnail in game would be a way for a player to add steamworks downloadable pois (like empyrion ships or bases) enter the game, look at the added poi library, and manage deletion or inclusion in check marked pois to be included in rwg. (Thumbnails could be generated from the street view connection, so creators would know how to orient the creations. Placing a street connect block containing the poi type and biome/city building type info would also let creators choose how the thumbnail would look.

I know the rwg is in a state of development right now, but these features might be included in its roadmap.

Once those features are in play, a mini world generation of just one poi in a defined micro world size would be a great way to preview or edit buildings.

And most of what I'm reading in the last few posts is , "I don't know how to invest xp points properly or play a17 as intended, so I'll just change it."

Loot bags are quite rare, and they NEED to stick around long enough to get after horde nights as the reward for defending. Thankfully we can do that in the xml.

1f914.png

That bit of irony aside, why do you think they've afforded us so much ability TO mod the game if the intention isn't to change what we do/don't like? Just because a system can be worked around does not mean that criticism of it for the sake of improvement isn't valid. Temperature is leagues better than A16, but still has some weird quirks. People are allowed to talk about it.

I have to imagine it was brought up in testing and SOMEone thought it was fine.

It would be like having the default key for reloading a gun be "M" it just doesn't fit.

#ReverseStatColorGate

Not to mention those who are Red/Green colour blind...I'm sure this is a nightmare :p

The fact Aiming costs Stamina is really dumb.

You're shooting Zombies, all of a sudden you fall or something, you're dead because of no Stamina. :f

take a metal or what ever material bar about 5kg (10 pounds), hold it like rifle and try to aim firmly at 1 point. see how long you can hold it steady. in reality, aiming is stamina consuming.

It shows you if the item you are mousing over is better or worse.

This issue is the same as inverting the mouse Y axis. You can argue all day that it's right or wrong but for some people it will feel right and for others wrong.

There is no such thing as a reason.

You can mod it, though.

There is a prefer somethingsomething parameter in ui_display.xml

Wait what, you've got to be kidding.

When looking at an item in your bag, if you see "6 (+3)" while wearing something that has "3 armor" or whatever, that should mean..

"If I equip this and replace my current clothing, my armor will go up from 3 to 6."

It's completely in reverse.. inverted mouse axis has nothing to do with this :f

Please Gazz you could not honestly believe the current iteration is correct.. it basically says to the user "More is less", and "Less is more".

What it SHOULD be like is "If you equip this item, the following changes will occur"

Seriously! Look at it! :C

https://i.imgur.com/AnhYtpO.png

1f914.png

That bit of irony aside, why do you think they've afforded us so much ability TO mod the game if the intention isn't to change what we do/don't like? Just because a system can be worked around does not mean that criticism of it for the sake of improvement isn't valid. Temperature is leagues better than A16, but still has some weird quirks. People are allowed to talk about it.

Oh, I'm not against the chatter at all.. but IMHO people do need to at least play through 50-60 days to really get a feel for how things unfold and how the intended leveling works. It looks like many are playing till day 4, saying this or that is broken, and instead of learning to play as intended, they just start hacking into the xml.

We started a sp and a mp server to see how things unfold, and progress is pretty good all things considered now other than the quibbles I had I posted about previously, but those are just progress tweaks.

What it SHOULD be like is "If you equip this item, the following changes will occur"

Seriously! Look at it! :C

"The following is what you have, if you don't equip this item". There is no fact-based right or wrong with this, this is just a convention like what side of the road you are driving.

But in the gaming world everyone is used to the reverse, TFP chose driving on the left.

well... how about the Count Up Timers? :D

I suppose we'll all eventually memorize how long buff X lasts.

Yet I know I prefer the old Count Down To Zero type timers.

oh, and driving on the Right while sitting on the Left :D (( just a wee bit frisky on this 1st day'O 2019 ))

"The following is what you have, if you don't equip this item". There is no fact-based right or wrong with this, this is just a convention like what side of the road you are driving.

But in the gaming world everyone is used to the reverse, TFP chose driving on the left.

... No. :f

May as well just do this then

sdsvdvvd.jpg.8251fae7efbc54f927f936307a94fd2a.jpg

imagine if it had to show TWO stat changes. the world would implode.

wat? It does with Armor between Steel and Military for example, like 5 different values.

And it's utterly confusing how it's in reverse. ;U

sadadadad.jpg.d8a2f823328c969d5f08c2519367923a.jpg

wat? It does with Armor between Steel and Military for example, like 5 different values.

And it's utterly confusing how it's in reverse. ;U

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26824[/ATTACH]

My first reaction looking at that is its great for mobility and stamina. and bad for armor rating

Im wrong aren't i.

Archived