Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

i have problems with stamina until lvl 120 or so. i made for me armyboots with 60% stamina regain while running. just to try out xml options. i ever heard about xml files less than year ago, when started play 7d2d. and first time altered any in a17e. but i must say, having infinite running ability is not much fun. i prolly turn it down to 10% extra styam gain , while running.

my point is: if you want easy win game, you can do it for you, but you miss the fun of hard gameplay. i'm not as hardcore as Jax, but there must be some challenge.

Level 120? Wow, it would be really interesting to see how you play. For myself around level 20 and few perks I hardly notice stamina at all. 1200hp trees and boulders I'm not even close to being out of stamina. Even digging clay or sand constantly it feels like it takes a long time to run out. Only time I have to be careful is using the power attack to often on the Z's, but then it's only rarely. My boy even joined us for horde night and he's level 12 I think, ran around with the Z's and didn't seem to have any issues.

Guess that goes to show how different play styles sure effect the outcome or at least the perceived issue.

Curious do you buy any stamina related perks? Stay hydrated, because I've noticed that sure makes a difference.

Oh and I'm glad you found a way through XML changes to make it work for you. I wish more people would take the leap and try a few edits.

How long we have to wait for A17.1 ? F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Wait until next year ? TFP deserves some christmas/new years holiday too!:02.47-tranquillity:

For more info look here:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?102621-The-State-of-Alpha-17

The State of Alpha 17

Hey Folks,

We hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. The Fun Pimps are taking a long-needed development break through New Year’s.

But not to worry we will be back to work after New Years and onto patching Alpha 17.

Alpha 17 is not perfect by any means but a big step forward towards the vision we have had for the game for a long time.

We have heard some valid concerns of the community and will be making needed adjustments to the game in the coming weeks along with bug fixes, optimizations and balance.

We are gathering data on a case by case basis, balancing and addressing the true problem areas most of which so far center around optimizations, stamina, balancing XP for all play styles, land claims, increasing zombie loot drop chance, zombie block damage, skill/perk balance and gating and random world gen improvements.

Cheers Richard

I am French/Irish and an Engineer/Comp Sci. guy so I sometimes talk with the assumption you all know what I am saying and I think (sometimes) in French so that does not always help.

To clarify:

1. I have "The Huntsman" perk 1/5.

2. using a T5 Fireaxe (Iron) on one boar provides X meat/hides

3. using a T5 machete on another boar provides X+Y more meat/hides

so my take is that the Fireaxe does not yield same/similar as the machete. I tried this in Gracie house with all the boars.

Does that help?

Harvesting meat with different tools will result in different yields. This is by design.

For the sake of easy numbers, let's say a fireaxe (without perks) harvests 10 meat, and the machete harvests 20 meat.

With the perk, giving an extra 10%, a fireaxe should harvest 11 meat, and the machete should harvest 22 meat.

If you're saying that the fireaxe is still harvesting 10 meat, after buying the perk, then that is indeed a bug. On the other hand, if you're saying that a fireaxe still isn't harvesting as much as a machete, even with the perk, then that is by design.

Hope that is clear?

Not from what I see in items.xml Lonestar :( ;

<item name="meleeToolFireaxeIron">

<property name="Tags" value="knife,melee,medium,tool,perkDeepCuts,perkMotherLode"/>

---compared to---

<item name="meleeToolMachete">

<property name="Tags" value="knife,melee,light,weapon,meleeWeapon,perkDeepCuts,perkTheHuntsman"/>

so the description is not accurate it states any bladed item.

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

verified and reported

Well, that's an entirely different kind of issue. Words are important. ;)

Axes were and are included. I don't see why it should not work.

Original question was does the Huntsman Perk get -applied- to the Fireaxe.

Based on what I saw, and posted, from items.xml, the Huntsman Perk does _not_ currently get applied to the Fireaxe.

I think Lonestar was explaining that he experianced a difference in the amount of meat & hides harvested when using two different 'tools', and that led him to ask the question of whether the Huntsman Perk was being applied to the Fireaxe.

I don't believe he directly brought up whether or not a Machete & the Fireaxe _should_ harvest the same amount of meat & hides.

And from my reading of items.xml, they will _not_ harvest the same amounts, (which isn't the "issue");

"meleeToolFireaxeIron"
<passive_effect name="HarvestCount" operation="base_set" value=".35" tags="butcherHarvest"/>

"meleeToolMachete"
<passive_effect name="HarvestCount" operation="base_set" value=".5" tags="butcherHarvest"/>

The "issue" is that perkTheHuntsman is not in the "Tags" line for meleeToolFireaxeIron

-- hope that helps a bit :)

How do quests in mp work right now?

I played with two friends yesterday and we could share and accept quests from traders, but not everyone could loot the item for the Fetch-quest.

Is it important who loots first?

I guess buried treasure will be strictly for one player?

How do quests in mp work right now?

I played with two friends yesterday and we could share and accept quests from traders, but not everyone could loot the item for the Fetch-quest.

Is it important who loots first?

I guess buried treasure will be strictly for one player?

There are multiple hidden loot containers, each player needs to find his own container. Everyone has a chest icon in the top hud that shows the direction to his container. And the chest icon has a not quite easy to spot down or up arrow if the container is lower or higher than the player

Buried treasure works with multiple loot containers too, but it may happen that the same loot container works for more than one person (fetch as well as buried trasure)

(Also, word of warning: Everyone has to go back to the trader BEFORE the one taking the quest logs out, otherwise they can't give back the quest. Maybe when he relogs it works again to give back the quest, but it surely could work better. And it happens that even the one who took the quest can't see the quest starting sign making the quest impossible to do)

Put down the crack pipe, son.

What do you mean "midgame"? I was overheating on day 2 wearing one layer of clothing...

AFAIK it is deliberate that the desert is too hot for low level characters. Find the right clothes (and maybe 1-2 points in the appropriate perk) before you go there for longer times. For short visits just ignore the condition and drink more water.

Poncho for example isn't the best clothes against heat anymore, the duster for example is better against heat AND cold. Also stay inside buildings as often as possible (in reality people in aquatorial regions have concepts like the siesta to avoid being in the sun on midday

Why should a fireaxe yield the same amount of meat as a machete? Try using those two tools IRL and you will come to a conclusion, that it's much, much harder to use an axe to butcher an animals carcass than using a machete if you want to get good slices of usable meat. It's common sense that a tool similar to a knife will yield more meat than something, that's meant for chopping through wood, more meat goes to waste with fireaxe than the more suited tool for the job, which in this situation is a machete.

And even if we don't look at common sense, logic or analogy IRL, they have to balance the game weapons, so that they perform differently, because what's the point of having a knife, machete and a fireaxe in the game if they will perform equally? They need to have different stats from a gameplay perspective above all else, otherwise the diversity is meaningless if the stats are the same or very similar.

P.S. Since I've seen quite a few Gordon Ramsay shows, I can add to that it's not only based on what tool you use, but the technique you use to cut the meat. If you don't know what the heck you are doing, you will produce more waste and less usable product than if you have a bit or more experience in cutting meat into usable portions.

I am thinking you have never skinned an animal :)

I grew up in Northern Canada (about 100 miles north of Ottawa in Fort Coulonge, QB. we ran trap lines and we skinned a lot of animals. we used a combination of tools depending on the animal. small animals we used a knife and Ulu and a scraper. large animals we used a small axe with a wide blade like a Grasnfors Bruks hunter's axe. if you skinned a larger animal like a Deer/Moose/Bear you will know pulling the hide is a pain in the @$$. so having the back side of the axe to hammer down helps a lot. So Knife/Ulu on small animal and Ulu/axe or just a skinning axe on large animals.

the point I am getting at is the Axe has always yielded a fast harvest in A16 and it does in A17. the perk The Huntsman and the xml code indicated I should be able to get the same bonus if I have the perk with a knife/machete/axe.

- - - Updated - - -

Harvesting meat with different tools will result in different yields. This is by design.

For the sake of easy numbers, let's say a fireaxe (without perks) harvests 10 meat, and the machete harvests 20 meat.

With the perk, giving an extra 10%, a fireaxe should harvest 11 meat, and the machete should harvest 22 meat.

If you're saying that the fireaxe is still harvesting 10 meat, after buying the perk, then that is indeed a bug. On the other hand, if you're saying that a fireaxe still isn't harvesting as much as a machete, even with the perk, then that is by design.

Hope that is clear?

khzmusik your post makes sense and I can live with that. yes I could see a knife/machete harvest a higher count with or without the perk compared to an axe.

Probably mentioned before in this topic, but it's a bit much to read it all back...

Question 1:

Can TFP change how the crossbow works now? When I shoot now, I have to wait while it reloads, until I can use something else. I can select it, but it switches to it after it reloads the crossbow.

Very annoying when each second counts when 1 or more zombies come running towards you (especially when it takes forever to reload with the crossbow). I understand/wouldn't mind having to reload it when I select the crossbow again ofc.

And question(s) 2:

I want to turn a house into my base. Alot of these houses are used in quests. What's the danger if I choose such a house?

And is there a way ingame to know if a house can be used for a quest?

Probably mentioned before in this topic, but it's a bit much to read it all back...

Question 1:

Can TFP change how the crossbow works now? When I shoot now, I have to wait while it reloads, until I can use something else. I can select it, but it switches to it after it reloads the crossbow.

Very annoying when each second counts when 1 or more zombies come running towards you (especially when it takes forever to reload with the crossbow). I understand/wouldn't mind having to reload it when I select the crossbow again ofc.

And question(s) 2:

I want to turn a house into my base. Alot of these houses are used in quests. What's the danger if I choose such a house?

And is there a way ingame to know if a house can be used for a quest?

1. https://imgur.com/a/KLP3Yrf

2. the danger in using a house that is tied to a quest and if people know that house is in fact tied, you will most likely make some enemies (if on mp server and or pvp)

other than that you can take it over, a poi is reset when the rally marker is used and if there is a bedroll on the poi the rally marker will give you a message that the poi cant be used.

https://imgur.com/a/IL2BUPd

3. if griefing is intentional, then may the server admins have mercy on your soul. (i do not condone taking over a quest poi on mp servers.)

hope this helps :)

Hey, TFP, I have a great idea for how to make alpha 17 the best. Make it just like this. The systems these guys talk about, and the gameplay would make the best alpha ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZCXqoKSQ5c

Good Luck....at 3:50....blocks cant float in the air...lol....no entire buildings do..

And you can drop blocks on zombies heads as traps....not happening either.

Radiated zones....cant go in them..hell we just lost 2 zones

smell detractors and deterrents...ummm nope

Unique finishing moves...uhhhh

Zombie nomad mode....not seeing it

Blueprint mode building...nope

Probably A21.....agreed though ...would love to play that game

1. https://imgur.com/a/KLP3Yrf

2. the danger in using a house that is tied to a quest and if people know that house is in fact tied, you will most likely make some enemies (if on mp server and or pvp)

other than that you can take it over, a poi is reset when the rally marker is used and if there is a bedroll on the poi the rally marker will give you a message that the poi cant be used.

https://imgur.com/a/IL2BUPd

3. if griefing is intentional, then may the server admins have mercy on your soul. (i do not condone taking over a quest poi on mp servers.)

hope this helps :)

Well in part it helped. :)

About the crossbow. I understand I can speed up the reloadtime by taking the perks (I still don't understand why the speed without perks is sooo much slower then with bows, but that's not what I'm talking about here).

What I mean is, why do I have to wait for the crossbow to reload before I can change my weapon. When I shoot a zombie and it comes running towards me, I want to quickly change to a melee weapon. I can't do that now.

I play solo, so knowing this about the POI is great. :)

FYHCCkM.jpg

Can someone briefly explain deadzone, duration, decay and health on/offline..

just to be clear, thanks.

.·:*¨¨*:·. Happy New Year to everyone on the 7 :party:.·:*¨¨*:·.

Deadzone= Area no other additional claim block of another player can be placed near your claimblock (dont know if it adds up to the claim size or is independent of it

decay= if player is offline, protection gets lower, this describes the decaying ( as example slow= over time, you could choose also instant at the end of the duration)

Health off- and online= how much protection the LCB gives for the blocks in the claim zone, each number representing the amount of the health protection if the corresponding player is on or offline ( so you could give a high offline protection to prevent that bases get raided if the player who owns it is offline). A block with 1000 hp will then have 256 times the hitpoints in your example, 256.000, but only for other players, not zombies/wildlife.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: For an even better explanation look in the wiki: https://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Land_Claims

Deadzone= Area no other additional claim block of another player can be placed near your claimblock (dont know if it adds up to the claim size or is independent of it

decay= if player is offline, protection gets lower, this describes the decaying ( as example slow= over time, you could choose also instant at the end of the duration)

Health off- and online= how much protection the LCB gives for the blocks in the claim zone, each number representing the amount of the health protection if the corresponding player is on or offline ( so you could give a high offline protection to prevent that bases get raided if the player who owns it is offline). A block with 1000 hp will then have 256 times the hitpoints in your example, 256.000, but only for other players, not zombies/wildlife.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: For an even better explanation look in the wiki: https://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Land_Claims

Very much so :tickled_pink: Thank you!

Was there any explanation given as to why they removed jail doors and all the various lights from the crafting menu? The only lights we can appear to make now is the simple light. Jail doors would have been great for vulture cages...I just don't get why they always remove stuff instead of continually add more and more.

Was there any explanation given as to why they removed jail doors and all the various lights from the crafting menu? The only lights we can appear to make now is the simple light. Jail doors would have been great for vulture cages...I just don't get why they always remove stuff instead of continually add more and more.

I recall Madmole saying something about the Z pathing being broken for jail doors hence they were removed. Probably a temp solution while things are fixed.

Archived