Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I feel that the gamestage should be rebalanced to a 1:1 ratio since for me personally, with the 1:5 ratio as it is right now, it feels like I'm leveleing to fast, when in face it's the game stage that is the problem.

Like compared to A16.4, I feel like I'm facing radiated zombies too fast. If it were at a different ratio, it would somewhat help players slowly get into it, rather than immediately be facing tougher zombies once they reach level 20 or 15.

I recall Madmole saying something about the Z pathing being broken for jail doors hence they were removed. Probably a temp solution while things are fixed.

Makes sense, the AI sends out raycasts to determine if something is in the way. They would likely be unable to see the door and just try to path through it.

The fix is to add another layer of colliders to selected blocks like the jail door and iron bars. Colliders are expensive though and you don't want to use too many of them.

Makes sense, the AI sends out raycasts to determine if something is in the way. They would likely be unable to see the door and just try to path through it.

It does this? That seems a bit wasteful, since ray casting is not trivial, computation-wise.

We're already working in a grid-based world, so it seems that building up the weights for A* would be easier done by just populating a movement grid via a hash table of blocks types to path costs.

But who knows, I'm not a game designer, so maybe there is some reason this would mess everything up.

the danger in using a house that is tied to a quest and if people know that house is in fact tied, you will most likely make some enemies (if on mp server and or pvp)

other than that you can take it over, a poi is reset when the rally marker is used and if there is a bedroll on the poi the rally marker will give you a message that the poi cant be used.

Can you be a bit more specific about this? I'm curious about it myself.

Say, you take over a POI, and that POI would be used as a quest. But you haven't actually gone to the trader to take the quest yet.

When you do, will the game see that the particular POI is unavailable, and choose a different one? Or would you have to pick up your bedroll - and also reset everything in the house - in order to finish that quest? If the latter - what can you do if you don't want your new base to be reset?

My understanding was that the game would do the former, but I haven't actually taken over a "questful POI" yet, so I don't know.

EDIT: I play SP only, so no griefing intended. :)

Can you be a bit more specific about this? I'm curious about it myself.

Say, you take over a POI, and that POI would be used as a quest. But you haven't actually gone to the trader to take the quest yet.

When you do, will the game see that the particular POI is unavailable, and choose a different one? Or would you have to pick up your bedroll - and also reset everything in the house - in order to finish that quest? If the latter - what can you do if you don't want your new base to be reset?

My understanding was that the game would do the former, but I haven't actually taken over a "questful POI" yet, so I don't know.

EDIT: I play SP only, so no griefing intended. :)

Unholyjoe said: "a poi is reset when the rally marker is used and if there is a bedroll on the poi the rally marker will give you a message that the poi cant be used". I think that is unambiguous, your POI can get a rally marker but if you try to start the quest, you get a message that it isn't possible to start the quest

Hey, TFP, I have a great idea for how to make alpha 17 the best. Make it just like this. The systems these guys talk about, and the gameplay would make the best alpha ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZCXqoKSQ5c

Whatever happened to those player walking animations? Was neat seeing just how much the game has improved since then and suddenly the 3rd person animations actually looked better than we have now lol.

Unholyjoe said: "a poi is reset when the rally marker is used and if there is a bedroll on the poi the rally marker will give you a message that the poi cant be used". I think that is unambiguous, your POI can get a rally marker but if you try to start the quest, you get a message that it isn't possible to start the quest

I thought this would happen only if the bedroll was placed after the quest had been accepted (and the POI chosen by the game).

Someone else in these forums said that the quest system tries to choose POIs that the player hasn't visited yet, hence my confusion. (Too lazy to hunt it down, but my admittedly-bad memory seems to think it was said by someone at TFP.)

I would add that unless you move all of your stuff out of the way to let them do the quest they'll have an incomplete quest that they cannot get rid of.

Well, this is all SP in my scenario, so there's no "them" just me.

I take it, this means that if I place a bedroll (on say day 2) at a POI, and the quest system chooses that POI for the quest (say on day 27), I have to either let the POI reset, undoing all of my building/modifications, or be stuck with an unusable quest?

I take it, this means that if I place a bedroll (on say day 2) at a POI, and the quest system chooses that POI for the quest (say on day 27), I have to either let the POI reset, undoing all of my building/modifications, or be stuck with an unusable quest?

I think the system would rather choose any other POI than one with a bedroll already on it. I know it does try to use nearby but undiscovered POI's. You really shouldn't have an issue in a SP game, if you do then file a bug report :-)

I thought this would happen only if the bedroll was placed after the quest had been accepted (and the POI chosen by the game).

Someone else in these forums said that the quest system tries to choose POIs that the player hasn't visited yet, hence my confusion. (Too lazy to hunt it down, but my admittedly-bad memory seems to think it was said by someone at TFP.)

Well, this is all SP in my scenario, so there's no "them" just me.

my scenarios so far are not that way... place down the bedroll and the poi will not (will not) be chosen for quest... my scenario is if player gets the quest and goes about his/her business and decides to do quest later.... and then another player (new guy or an innocent player) finds this poi and wants it... he/she can plop down the bedroll and clear the sleepers and set up camp...

that player did not do anything wrong and the quest was not broken... its an unforeseen circumstance where snooze you loose. so when player with quest goes to activate the rally marker he then gets the message..

now if a player gets the quest and goes to activate it... he has a radius to stay withing or quest fails so he cant activate it and then run off to do something else.

if players are in a poi while someone is on the quest in there, they in turn will get a busy message come back later.

nothing is broke.

nobody will have an incomplete quest if it cant be activated and they just go back to trader , drop the quest and get a new one because it will now ignore a poi that is occupied... maybe this will clear it up! :)

post above mine by Gronk... thanks you are correct and i try to say that but people will read into what they want.. nothing is broke.

Hypothetical...

Completely destroy the POI to one block below the prefab level. When the POI resets for the mission it'll either float or collapse.

i just tested that as well... i completely destroyed the poi even the basement... clicked on the rally marker and its magically back and full supported as it was before.. :)

looks as if someone might have expected something like that.

i just tested that as well... i completely destroyed the poi even the basement... clicked on the rally marker and its magically back and full supported as it was before.. :)

looks as if someone might have expected something like that.

If you're bored you might want to check how far it resets. Am I in danger if I take over a POI in a city that's next door to a quest POI or does it just ensure the bottom is supported?

if you want to know you go test it... <mumbles under breathe.... @#$$%@$#@*&> :)

I've got my own bug-hunting to do :-)

I'm planning on doing a balancing essay on a certain POI with a few fixable peculiarities when I get some screenshots and time, probably the next day or two. It'll make a change from ranting about skill systems.

I think the system would rather choose any other POI than one with a bedroll already on it. I know it does try to use nearby but undiscovered POI's. You really shouldn't have an issue in a SP game, if you do then file a bug report :-)

I think the POI reset thing may need to be looked at. I lightly checked a house before I started the quest for it, and it had a working chem station in it. Did the quest and it turned into a destroyed one -.-, was quite bummed out lol.

I think the POI reset thing may need to be looked at. I lightly checked a house before I started the quest for it, and it had a working chem station in it. Did the quest and it turned into a destroyed one -.-, was quite bummed out lol.

It sounds like the POI is being recalculated instead of reset.

Unholyjoe! Yer up! :-)

Good thing is, u can salvage the whole house before u start the quest and salvage it again :D

It sounds like the POI is being recalculated instead of reset.

Unholyjoe! Yer up! :-)

as far as i know, you can only reset once per quest and you never know what it will change in a reset. you may want to address Prime on that to be sure. i really cant answer it 100% because i dont do much with quest and i dont do anything past the starter quests when i play.

as far as i know, you can only reset once per quest and you never know what it will change in a reset. you may want to address Prime on that to be sure. i really cant answer it 100% because i dont do much with quest and i dont do anything past the starter quests when i play.

From what I know of the POI system a recalculation makes sense. When do you revert to the pre-quest state? What about changes made during the quest? What if the player has cleared this POI and knows where everything is hidden?

It does open up the occasional problem where you turn up to a quest POI and find out it has the only working cement mixer on the map. Do you complete the quest, roll the dice, and hope the mixer is still there or do you ignore the quest and take the cement mixer location as the prize?

From what I know of the POI system a recalculation makes sense. When do you revert to the pre-quest state? What about changes made during the quest? What if the player has cleared this POI and knows where everything is hidden?

It does open up the occasional problem where you turn up to a quest POI and find out it has the only working cement mixer on the map. Do you complete the quest, roll the dice, and hope the mixer is still there or do you ignore the quest and take the cement mixer location as the prize?

RIP only chem station I've found so far, you were a short joy in my heart.

From what I know of the POI system a recalculation makes sense. When do you revert to the pre-quest state? What about changes made during the quest? What if the player as cleared this POI and knows where everything is hidden?

interesting question indeed. but think about it... suppose you did find one that works and you use it then you reset while it is working.. a reset will change the state of things therefore the material you would have had in there wont be there on a reset... if the reset is working and we know it is...

place a bug report about it and title it appropriately so it doesnt get confused by other testers and moderators and closed for not being a bug... that really should be asked. remember the team are out to enjoy the holidays with their families. :)

nice catch

interesting question indeed. but think about it... suppose you did find one that works and you use it then you reset while it is working.. a reset will change the state of things therefore the material you would have had in there wont be there on a reset... if the reset is working and we know it is...

place a bug report about it and title it appropriately so it doesnt get confused by other testers and moderators and closed for not being a bug... that really should be asked. remember the team are out to enjoy the holidays with their families. :)

nice catch

I think it's a recalculation instead of a reset. The entire mixer will suddenly disappear to be replaced with another. I can hear the null reference exceptions from unfinished items calling already :-)

nice catch

Honestly I thought this was inteneded so I left it alone lol. But yeah I ca nconfirm this will happen, I shrugged it off because it was only a few hundred iron I lost, but I smelted some scrap in a forge in a house once, left it for a bit (didn't leave the general area), activated the quest at that house (was just getting iron for repairs) and it did wipe everything in there/forge turned into a destroyed one.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's a recalculation instead of a reset. The entire mixer will suddenly disappear to be replaced with another. I can hear the null reference exceptions from unfinished items calling already :-)

I didn't get any null exceptions, just was gone lol

Archived