Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I think the only feasible means of trapping animals with the current system is to create a trap object/block, and have it respawn "animal loot" in a random interval between 12 and 36 hours or whatever. Trap breaks after you loot it, so you have to recreate the trap each time. Add a "Trapper" perk series in the crafting/looting chain that increases yield and types of traps.

Starvation has a rabbit/chicken traps. You build trap, place it outside. Click to put in bait. It spawns actual rabbits and chickens randomly and if they run too close to the trap, it triggers. The animal disappears and you can 'loot' the trap to get a 'rabbit' or 'chicken' item. If you place in tool belt and drop in real world, the animal spawns in front of you and runs away.

Everyone is so worried about when a17 is going to be released. It's so very simple. I'm leaving on Tuesday the 14th and will be unable to play for several days, then I'm moving right after I get back and will be unable to play for another week or so. So they will release it first thing on Tuesday morning when I leave just so I can't try it out like everyone else. It will happen. So you guys have about a day and a half to wait.

Can't argue with that logic.

Then concerns remain. If I make the map 20 percent bigger and drop from 100 fps to 10 fps thats a big problem. I still say they wouldnt make the map this small based solely on world build time.

You don't think they would make the default this small because the old size would take 2 hours to generate? (The 2 hours is just a wild guess but since Kinyajuu said 8k takes 10 minutes and it increases exponentially then my guess won't be too far off.) Let's say you just bought the game with no idea of any of this discussion and started a RWG game and it said come back in 2 hours to start your game. Would you immediately go on the forums to let the devs know what a POS game they made? Judging by your posts here I'm 100.1% sure you would. Hell, I probably would. The default has to be something the general public will tolerate.

You don't think they would make the default this small because the old size would take 2 hours to generate? (The 2 hours is just a wild guess but since Kinyajuu said 8k takes 10 minutes and it increases exponentially then my guess won't be too far off.) Let's say you just bought the game with no idea of any of this discussion and started a RWG game and it said come back in 2 hours to start your game. Would you immediately go on the forums to let the devs know what a POS game they made? Judging by your posts here I'm 100.1% sure you would. Hell, I probably would. The default has to be something the general public will tolerate.

Good points, I hope you are correct.

My solution would be to include a map size option where choosing anything but the default size will generate a warning popup starting "This will take SEVERAL HOURS to generate, may affect performance, your CPU might melt, are you sure, etc., etc."

Back to lurking.

I knew what you meant but nice illustrations anyway. :)

This would solve the problem of zombies spawning in the base but for me the screamer spawned hordes are my favorite because they come from all directions. It is a much more interesting horde than the conga line parade we get from wandering hordes. It would be a shame to give that up.

Wandering hordes would benefit from actually wandering rather than just random spawning around the player.

Just like they removed the older intro song.... Any idea why they did that.. it was alot better then the current one ;)

Yeah, I liked that one a lot more too.

The current one is just creepy in a rhythmic, but otherwise generic way. The old music really set the tone for the game. Combined with the title, it set the context for the seven day hordes. I don't think I would have played more than a few hours of game if I had been exposed to the current music.

On another note, it reminds me a little bit of the main refrain of "Bright New Day" from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog. They both have similar chord changes and they both seem to be saying "you are going to die".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVda8HD7rg8\

Hey Skippy,

Shortened for obvious reasons.

Roland, I get it. Anytime you're on a project you're passionate about, that sense of giddiness and angst builds as you near a major milestone. Several of you have been there from the beginning and have watched this blossom from an ambitious dream to something that is nearing Beta and ultimately completion. You're so excited to show the world what you have created for them that you sometimes jump the gun on things, such as delivery dates, all because your excitement caused to overlook a couple of small details, and then those details end up becoming huge gremlins. It happens to everyone at some point. I'm just glad you guys aren't in the business of seeing a time constraint and deciding to band aid patch holes to make that date instead of just blowing that date sky high and finishing the job. It makes all the difference on game quality and that will be noticed. I believe that if more companies embraced "It's Done When It's Done" as a philosophy, we'd have a lot less games released each year, but they would be of significantly higher quality and actually demand the high price point most games are already at. I think you guys and gals have done an incredible job to create a game that is comparable to something created by a big name company with what those big companies would consider a skeleton crew. Don't sweat the haters. Those are usually just big fans with a sense of entitlement.

Archived