Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So, what it zombies could teleport directly behind you and instantly kill you, without warning or chance to defend.

...surely that's what some people want, eh?

No? So, then you would acknowledge that there should be SOMETHING that keeps you safe?

...then what are we talking about.

If it's not underground, or a stilts base, or a water base, then what is it?

The devs CAN defeat any safety you can dream up... But what makes this game /fun/ is building those countermeasures.

My point?

I'm fixing to drive to the store to get an icee.

So, what it zombies could teleport directly behind you and instantly kill you, without warning or chance to defend.

No? So, then you would acknowledge that there should be SOMETHING that keeps you safe?

The devs CAN defeat any safety you can dream up... But what makes this game /fun/ is building those countermeasures.

My point?

hmmm, that sounds pretty good right now.. a coffee shake!

Yeah that does raise a legitimate issue. If the screamer were to spawn/attract [relatively] distant zombies instead of pulling them out of thin air in extremely close proximity, the odds of her surviving until the others get close are going go down drastically. And that means the odds of spawning a second or third wave and making things get interesting also go down.

There's always something.

Edit: Unless maybe she gives them all the ability to run for 10 seconds. =)

hmmm, that would need to be used as a buff. her scream basically turns them feral for say 30 seconds renewable upon the next scream?

not sure if buffs apply to zeds at this time tho

Going over a month on radio silence. My guess is that after being stressed about release dates he worked out. Then after acheiving the impossible under 1% body fat. His muscle ate him.

I'm confused about the radio silence comment. Can you elaborate? Thanks!

I think my previous idea about how to make it so screamers can`t spawn zombies inside a base wasn`t understood so i made some paintings in paint to illustrate. They are quite crude but i think easy to understand.

Blue big circle is screamer spawn radius, red is player and the small blue one is the screamer. this is basically how it works now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24907[/ATTACH]

This picture shows a different way of spawning. Instead of in a circle around the screamer they are spawned inside a half circle behind the screamer. Darn just realized this would only fix the issue if the screamer was walking towards your base but it wouldn`t fix it (and make it worse) if you were going to your base and the screamer sees you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24906[/ATTACH]

but hey maybe someone can use this to think of a better idea.

I knew what you meant but nice illustrations anyway. :)

This would solve the problem of zombies spawning in the base but for me the screamer spawned hordes are my favorite because they come from all directions. It is a much more interesting horde than the conga line parade we get from wandering hordes. It would be a shame to give that up.

Going over a month on radio silence. My guess is that after being stressed about release dates he worked out. Then after acheiving the impossible under 1% body fat. His muscle ate him.

If you are talking about Madmole, he hasn't been radio silent. In the last week, he posted several A17 screenshots to his twitter account.

Kinyajuu mentioned some great details regarding random world generation and some welcome news about the new sizing. His comments are pasted here

Wow, that's some good info. I wasn't really worried that rwg may suck after the tinkering. Seems like it will be better than ever, can't wait to start a new world in a17.

3- Will gun turrets be able to be rotated and placed upside down too? or even on angle ramp blocks....if you have a ramp up to a drawbridge for example? The dart traps would be affected by this as well.

This one would make a fort defense REALLY viable!

Put the shotgun turrets on vertical walls, so when zombies get to your walls the turrets can point straight down. Point blank head shots!

My point?

If they don't let fort defenses become more deadly (I'm talking the shotgun turrets because everything else is a wonky waste of resources) By allowing them to point straight down, then all you will have is:

-Mobility above ground using the off road SUV.

-Mobility underground using long subways and a minibike.

-A series of forts where you travel to the next by some removable bridge (**with your bedroll!)

Please do not discuss release dates in the dev diary. It just devolves into arguments we don't want in this thread. Requests about timelines and commentary about how long it has taken will be moved to this thread where you are welcome to hash it out while still adhering to forum rules. I just moved about 70 posts over.

Yeah, I know, more customers lost...

Sorry sweetie, didn't mean any harm. Won't happen again.

I knew what you meant but nice illustrations anyway. :)

This would solve the problem of zombies spawning in the base but for me the screamer spawned hordes are my favorite because they come from all directions. It is a much more interesting horde than the conga line parade we get from wandering hordes. It would be a shame to give that up.

I agree. The screamer hordes are my favorite too. They really are the only event that gets the adrenaline pumping atm outside of horde night. This is why I suggested different types of events that would create zombies coming from all around.

To build on the idea I brought up... about a month ago... it would be awesome if a 360 degree event took place whenever you (or a zombie) made a ridiculous amount of noise (i.e. falling a building, blowing up a car, landmine going off) and it had a chance of spawning zombies coming from all directions, aggravated by the noise. They could be spawned in OR all zombies already spawned start beelining in the direction of the noise.

This would really make you think twice about taking down those metal towers for the resources if there was a chance you could be surrounded in seconds. Or you're running down the street, passing an army camp and a random zombie sets off a landmine... It'd make you panic for a bit for sure. If not in vanilla, maybe someone could create a mod with events like this in it?

I agree. The screamer hordes are my favorite too. They really are the only event that gets the adrenaline pumping atm outside of horde night. This is why I suggested different types of events that would create zombies coming from all around.

To build on the idea I brought up... about a month ago... it would be awesome if a 360 degree event took place whenever you (or a zombie) made a ridiculous amount of noise (i.e. falling a building, blowing up a car, landmine going off) and it had a chance of spawning zombies coming from all directions, aggravated by the noise. They could be spawned in OR all zombies already spawned start beelining in the direction of the noise.

This would really make you think twice about taking down those metal towers for the resources if there was a chance you could be surrounded in seconds. Or you're running down the street, passing an army camp and a random zombie sets off a landmine... It'd make you panic for a bit for sure. If not in vanilla, maybe someone could create a mod with events like this in it?

I really like this idea of triggering a horde spawn after a high decible event because there should be consequences for being loud, this is one of the best ideas to come out of the forums in a while.

Really like this idea, Would make things more interesting when scavaging.

The bedroll system to stop zombie spawns has been broken for a while as far as I know.

Funny this was mentioned, but I was digging some clay not even 10 blocks outside from my base (a barn) when a horde spawned INSIDE MY BASE. I was confused, looked around to see if they got in without me realizing. No holes or damage on any part of my base. So I stood there and stared at them as they tore down my wooden wall in ran at me, slapping my ♥♥♥♥ silly to the point of death. I don't think I raged so hard in 7 Days in so long, but laughing about it now. I just hope its fixed.

That is a lot of useful information about mapsize/RWG, thanks :)

I'm very interested in what total file-size an 8x8, 10x10 and 12x12 map will have after it is generated - can I get an estimate? :) Background is that while my server does not lack CPU nor RAM, it has limited disk space because I decided to get an SSD. I also do daily backups with some days retention, so space can get tight pretty fast.... would be great to know if my servers disk space is sufficient for A17 :) As it is hosted by a service provider, upgrades are unfortunately not simply "go buy ssd, put in, done" :p

Archived