Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

That is a lot of useful information about mapsize/RWG, thanks :)

I'm very interested in what total file-size an 8x8, 10x10 and 12x12 map will have after it is generated - can I get an estimate? :) Background is that while my server does not lack CPU nor RAM, it has limited disk space because I decided to get an SSD. I also do daily backups with some days retention, so space can get tight pretty fast.... would be great to know if my servers disk space is sufficient for A17 :) As it is hosted by a service provider, upgrades are unfortunately not simply "go buy ssd, put in, done" :p

Yep, this has me curious as well. If time isn't an issue how large of a map can you fit in a couple of Tb?

It wouldn't be the first time I've left my computer churning away on a project for over a week... it will not be the last :-)

Kinyajuu mentioned some great details regarding random world generation and some welcome news about the new sizing. His comments are pasted here

UH .finally no more complaining about world size . it loud and clear and absolutely made my day , thanks for all you efforts guys ;)

Is there info, not speculation, about if making the map bigger kills performance or if really only affects the time to build it?

This could be seen only when they mend it together and be ready for use, and test it, and see. The new world map generator sounds great.

This could be seen only when they mend it together and be ready for use, and test it, and see. The new world map generator sounds great.

Then concerns remain. If I make the map 20 percent bigger and drop from 100 fps to 10 fps thats a big problem. I still say they wouldnt make the map this small based solely on world build time.

Then concerns remain. If I make the map 20 percent bigger and drop from 100 fps to 10 fps thats a big problem. I still say they wouldnt make the map this small based solely on world build time.

You are correct. That isn't why they did it that way.

8k is a good test to optimize as it is just a bit bigger than nav and I want it to take less than 10 minutes.

Furthermore, Kinyajuu says that your newly generated map will be just like if you had loaded up a navezgane map. You can keep being worried, but like most of the other worriers this alpha, it seems like a waste of your time and energy to be worried.

Is there info, not speculation, about if making the map bigger kills performance or if really only affects the time to build it?

There is definite info from Kinjahuu that it doesn't affect performance, but he could be speculating :smile-new:.

Seriously, from all we know how it works and the fact that the stutter when you go far from the center point is fixed, there is no reason (except possible bugs) why it should affect performance in a negative way. And all points to positive effects, as all the in-game generating of the map is gone.

Background is that while my server does not lack CPU nor RAM, it has limited disk space because I decided to get an SSD. I also do daily backups with some days retention, so space can get tight pretty fast.... would be great to know if my servers disk space is sufficient for A17 :) As it is hosted by a service provider, upgrades are unfortunately not simply "go buy ssd, put in, done" :p

Make the backup to your home PC!

1) The SSD can fail and service providers usually(?) don't do backup if you don't pay for it.

2) Your home PC has surely more space available. If not, get some cloud space to dump the backup to.

1) The SSD can fail and service providers usually(?) don't do backup if you don't pay for it.

2) Your home PC has surely more space available. If not, get some cloud space to dump the backup to.

A non-pro Samsung 840 SSD wrote almost a petabyte of data before failing. For an average personal computer that could be 1000 years! But play it save and assume the worst after 100 years. :)

But backing up important data is always smart.

A non-pro Samsung 840 SSD wrote almost a petabyte of data before failing. For an average personal computer that could be 1000 years! But play it save and assume the worst after 100 years. :)

But backing up important data is always smart.

I have non-SSD hard disks older than 10 years running non-stop or even turned on and off daily (which is worse than non-stop). And still there is nothing stopping any SSD or hard disk to fail on the first day. Actually there was a statistic that hard disks are more likely to fail in the first few weeks than in the following 2 years, because if there is a fault from production it will often show up early.

Also there is the danger of ransomware

Thanks for your worries, but fear not... I rsync backups daily. It is just about how much retention days I can keep locally, as with 8Mbit upload a 50GB Map takes a while to transfer ;) The SSD is in a raidZ to prevent immediate data loss and silent data corrpution, too.

I have non-SSD hard disks older than 10 years running non-stop or even turned on and off daily (which is worse than non-stop). And still there is nothing stopping any SSD or hard disk to fail on the first day. Actually there was a statistic that hard disks are more likely to fail in the first few weeks than in the following 2 years, because if there is a fault from production it will often show up early.

Also there is the danger of ransomware

It is a well known fact that most technology will fail in the first 30 days or last its MTBF (mean time between failures). I have been working in the Electronics/computer space since 1978 and this has always been the rule of law.

Unless we (family of 5) are going away for a long period of time we never shut down our systems. all 4 desktops and 5 laptops have SSDs (SS EVO 850s and a 2nd 1T+ WB HD.

The Family uses Microsoft OneDrive and uses common set of folders on each system to insure that documents and pictures are backed up to the cloud. everything else can easily be downloaded or replaced.

Does 7DTD "engine/design" support the mechanics for a trap? ideally catching animals or nasty leg traps for humans like in Rust.

I tried using pits to catch animals but the issue is when there is no one online or in that region/chunk nothing happens.

Darkness Falls has a Fishing "Trap", that might be adaptable to catch animals, or at least the meat and by products. I don't think there's actually a way with out some c# coding to detain an animal since they will despawn.

hi

There is definite info from Kinjahuu that it doesn't affect performance, but he could be speculating :smile-new:.

Seriously, from all we know how it works and the fact that the stutter when you go far from the center point is fixed, there is no reason (except possible bugs) why it should affect performance in a negative way. And all points to positive effects, as all the in-game generating of the map is gone.

then get an ssd what is bigger i have my own dedicated server running on an 500gb ssd plenty of space and i have ts running on it aswel and everything runs good

Darkness Falls has a Fishing "Trap", that might be adaptable to catch animals, or at least the meat and by products. I don't think there's actually a way with out some c# coding to detain an animal since they will despawn.

I think the only feasible means of trapping animals with the current system is to create a trap object/block, and have it respawn "animal loot" in a random interval between 12 and 36 hours or whatever. Trap breaks after you loot it, so you have to recreate the trap each time. Add a "Trapper" perk series in the crafting/looting chain that increases yield and types of traps.

I really like this idea of triggering a horde spawn after a high decible event because there should be consequences for being loud, this is one of the best ideas to come out of the forums in a while.

Thank you! It is probably too late to add extra events like this, but really hope the idea gets picked up by someone with the skills to mod it in. Would love more variety in horde events.

Thank you! It is probably too late to add extra events like this, but really hope the idea gets picked up by someone with the skills to mod it in. Would love more variety in horde events.

This actually used to be in the game for a time. If you made a lot of noise you could trigger a scream sound similar to what you hear when the blood moon horde starts and zombies would spawn all around you. They removed it though. I want to say it was around Alpha 7 or 8.

This actually used to be in the game for a time. If you made a lot of noise you could trigger a scream sound similar to what you hear when the blood moon horde starts and zombies would spawn all around you. They removed it though. I want to say it was around Alpha 7 or 8.

Well a screamer can trigger a mini horde event so there must be code for it or an event we can trigger.

I was thinking it would be cool to trigger one to test a base. possible a quest to get a "Thumper" like in Dune that called the sand worms.

same for airdrops, I would like a quest/event/item that could call in an airdrop. like in Rust.

Archived