Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I posted some epic ones on the forum before, (my fav was one so high I was getting out of bounds errors when my crops grew on the roof!) but they are deleted.

But I think you will want at least 5 meter thick walls of reinforced concrete that are 4 meters high, with a lip, by day 70, is my guess.

In the fortress center, I plan standing over a 3x3 pit to bedrock that leads to a "Zombie Extruder" inside-out mini fortress. (I will need to see if hay bales still work in A17).

Then. I will watch when the inner walls start giving away and jump in the pit and clear way the bales. Then fight there until it starts giving away, then hop on my moped and go by subway tunnel to my "Ring around the Trader" Final defensive position that has all my shotgun turrets and a large field of double deep log spikes. The first two forts are just to delay them as much as possible and save on expensive resources.

Might work. :)

Ive had a similar base before. Im hoping this is the hardest Alpha yet.

Hmm, the map being 8000x8000 is going to be strange for the PvP players. Actually it would be hard for the normal PvE players too since their loot is guaranteed.

Coming from a server that accepts 60 people with a max of 30 online sometimes, that's going to need to be dialed back big time. But also the new AI is going to throw the meta up in the air for the PvP folks. Since underground bases are the goto option for protection from other players and zombies, they are heavily relied on. Now that zeds can dig down, things will change big time.

With a smaller server and bases that will be less safe, the game will get incredibly difficult.

I'm VERY excited for alpha update.

Having a swiss-cheesed dirt layer in the middle of nowhere will kind of be a giant "kick-me" sign on PvP servers. It announces the existence of a player base that endured a horde.

Faatal has been saying animation speeds are tied to hits now, so I don't think it would be difficult at all. A large AOE buff that speeds up well, everything, and then of course the theme music...that would be the tricky part, but we'll see how much control over game events we have with the new buff system... =)

From what I can now tell, these are the things that would need to be individually sped up:

• all animation speeds
  • unity engine physics speed
  • effect-over time buffs
  • world clock
  • whatever takes care of crafting and forge speeds
  • zombie AI? I don't know if that is tied to animation too, and if not, maybe it's for the better that the zombies lose a little bit of intelligence to compensate for the player having to process information 3x faster.

More Death info and custom death messages. Rust has 17 points of contact and the death data contains: Who or what killed you, what they used or how and from how far. also included are what point of contact with you (head, neck, chest, stomach, p*n*s, leg, foot, etc.)

so with a mod called "DeathMessage" you would see stuff like: "Quicken was hit in the chest by Guppy from 76 yards using a crossbow causing death...<funny messages as well>"

it made for some fun death humor and data. you could also include locations so if I had leg traps I could see that Quicken stepped in a leg trap causing XX bleeding near XYZ.

Since the game will release when the game is released. My question is how many people are going to grind the hell out of A17 when it releases.

I will probably be playing at least 24 to 30 hrs the first weekend of release. I will also be scheduling some days off work to get my grind on.

Meh, it's going to be Experimental A17 so I'm not going to put too much time into something that will be updated shortly thereafter. Unless there's some promise (again) that updates won't cause you to lose your progress/map. Even more so if you have to wait an entire night to generate a decent sized map that will last.

I posted some epic ones on the forum before, (my fav was one so high I was getting out of bounds errors when my crops grew on the roof!) but they are deleted.

But I think you will want at least 5 meter thick walls of reinforced concrete that are 4 meters high, with a lip, by day 70, is my guess.

In the fortress center, I plan standing over a 3x3 pit to bedrock that leads to a "Zombie Extruder" inside-out mini fortress. (I will need to see if hay bales still work in A17).

Then. I will watch when the inner walls start giving away and jump in the pit and clear way the bales. Then fight there until it starts giving away, then hop on my moped and go by subway tunnel to my "Ring around the Trader" Final defensive position that has all my shotgun turrets and a large field of double deep log spikes. The first two forts are just to delay them as much as possible and save on expensive resources.

Might work. :)

That's something extremely pessimistic. Or day 70 horde is so much more than day 49 one? Got it just recently, was standing in RC "house" in the middle of cleared corn field. Big outer square of barbed wire, smaller inner square of barbed and zap wires and four bunches of wood spikes around zap poles, then goes walls with steel logs and second square of zap. Night result - bunch of barbed wire and logs broken, one zap pole broken, minimal damage to logs on walls, no damage to walls. Also around 500 7,62 ammo spent)

To put it into context, I play 1 computer game. And that is 7D2D. When A17-E releases I plan to be high on the top 10 list of bug hunters, let's put it this way 😎

I plan to sink some major hours into this release. I got all day, everyday, for a while now.

To those that plan not updating the newest build in A17-E, gl. I think Steam now forces updates, when available, before you can play.

Experimental is released to help find bugs that could occur during normal gameplay, and help bring back feedback on said release.

From what I can now tell, these are the things that would need to be individually sped up:

• all animation speeds
  • unity engine physics speed
  • effect-over time buffs
  • world clock
  • whatever takes care of crafting and forge speeds
  • zombie AI? I don't know if that is tied to animation too, and if not, maybe it's for the better that the zombies lose a little bit of intelligence to compensate for the player having to process information 3x faster.

That would speed up the entire game, for a simple Benny Hill/Yakkity Sax buff I wouldn't bother speeding up anything but the animations... possibly the physics engine as well. Everything else can stay as it is.

That would speed up the entire game, for a simple Benny Hill/Yakkity Sax buff I wouldn't bother speeding up anything but the animations... possibly the physics engine as well. Everything else can stay as it is.

That would affect the realism and game balance if some things are sped up but others weren't. The Yackety Sax buff is not supposed to represent a change in the the way the world works, but rather a change in the way the player perceives it.

That would affect the realism and game balance if some things are sped up but others weren't. The Yackety Sax buff is not supposed to represent a change in the the way the world works, but rather a change in the way the player perceives it.

That is of course a matter of taste but if you watch the original Benny Hill chases you can see that he tended to use a lot of static backgrounds to give the impression that the rest of the world was proceeding normally while only the people were behaving oddly.

Is the hype train boarding yet?:excitement:

The Hype Train has been sold to some charity organization (I heard Tomas the Train has a new friend), so TFP can throw a pity party for the Kraken because, he's feeling neglected and tried to steal a copy of A17 (for his kids, he keeps saying).

The Hype Train has been sold to some charity organization (I heard Tomas the Train has a new friend), so TFP can throw a pity party for the Kraken because, he's feeling neglected and tried to steal a copy of A17 (for his kids, he keeps saying).

The hype train left the station, derailed, and everyone walked back for the replacement bus service :-)

Yes, back to Platform 9 3/4...

- - - Updated - - -

More Death info and custom death messages. Rust has 17 points of contact and the death data contains: Who or what killed you, what they used or how and from how far. also included are what point of contact with you (head, neck, chest, stomach, p*n*s, leg, foot, etc.)

so with a mod called "DeathMessage" you would see stuff like: "Quicken was hit in the chest by Guppy from 76 yards using a crossbow causing death...<funny messages as well>"

it made for some fun death humor and data. you could also include locations so if I had leg traps I could see that Quicken stepped in a leg trap causing XX bleeding near XYZ.

I would love something like this.

Question about AI coming in A17. If this is my base set up will a 7th day horde path to the corridors if they are coming from a Northwest or Southeast direction or will they try to go through the angled walls? (assuming all blocks are made of the same material and I'm standing at the X position).

Same question for wandering hordes. Will they bump into the walls and just try to bash their way through as they currently do in A16.4?

86505025_8-14-201812-43-17PM.jpg.547cbd7615073dd7542ff38f77faf5b3.jpg

Question about AI coming in A17. If this is my base set up will a 7th day horde path to the corridors if they are coming from a Northwest or Southeast direction or will they try to go through the angles walls? (assuming all blocks are made of the same material and I'm standing at the X position).

Same question for wandering hordes. Will they bump into the walls and just try to bash their way through as they currently do in A16.4?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24914[/ATTACH]

They will most likely use corridors as it gets the horde within the closest proximity of the player.

Edit:

And quickly.

I stand corrected :)

Though I thought Steam had a new thing going on, where you could only play a game if it was up-to-date.

Meaning that you wouldn't be able to launch the game without downloading and installing the mandatory new update.

So A17-E Build 96 would have to be updated to say Build 98 before you could launch & play, if you had Build 96 downloaded and installed. So if people wanted to play the first build of A17-E and only that, without having to update (to start a new saved game file) they wouldn't be able to. Confused yet? :laugh:

If this pertains to Opt-in Beta releases is beyond me though, lol.

You can choose any beta releases that are offered, which is why for some games you can currently go back and play the old versions now. I guess this would be a matter of whether they release A17 as "A17 experimental" or as "A17E1," "A17E1.2," "A17E1.6," "A17E2," et cetera. I assume they would probably use the latter(right now you can play 5 different versions of A16 stable).

And you can always play the existing version if you "go offline" in steam without being forced to update, but that wouldn't help multiplayer players. I think it's kind of poor on Steam's part to not have a "let me decide whether to update" option, but even if they did it would almost certainly lock you out of online multiplayer with an old version because of incompatibility/cheating concerns.

You can choose any beta releases that are offered, which is why for some games you can currently go back and play the old versions now. I guess this would be a matter of whether they release A17 as "A17 experimental" or as "A17E1," "A17E1.2," "A17E1.6," "A17E2," et cetera. I assume they would probably use the latter(right now you can play 5 different versions of A16 stable).

And you can always play the existing version if you "go offline" in steam without being forced to update, but that wouldn't help multiplayer players. I think it's kind of poor on Steam's part to not have a "let me decide whether to update" option, but even if they did it would almost certainly lock you out of online multiplayer with an old version because of incompatibility/cheating concerns.

That cleared that up :) Thank you.

Rep coming your way.

Archived