Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Okay, a thought that just hit me, I need at least a second brain to confirm ... or a Dev ;)

So, if I generate a world with a size of 8x8 and the seed 'test1234' and have a bunch of people play on it and later decide that a larger world would be needed, would the following procedure work, given the RWG/game version has not changed in between:

* Generate a map with size 10x10 or 12x12 (or ....) and the same seed 'test1234'

* Take server offline. Make backup of 8x8 map.

* Copy new, larger map into server map directory

* Copy backup from 8x8 map into map directory and overwrite the "central" 8x8 with the existing world data

* Restart Server

Expected result:

Since it is the same seed, I'd expect seamless "integration" of the old 8x8 map that was modified by players into the now larger map.

Sooo.... thinking further, this might be easily implemented as a server command like "expand_map (newx)/(newy)", e.g. "expand_map 12x12". But even if that doesn't come, it would be great if the above "workaround" to extend the world on demand would work.

IMHO that would be quite the feature and MP Servers could start out with 8x8 maps without losing the option to

A) Keep the existing part of the world

B) Expand the border

- G

Question about AI coming in A17. If this is my base set up will a 7th day horde path to the corridors if they are coming from a Northwest or Southeast direction or will they try to go through the angled walls? (assuming all blocks are made of the same material and I'm standing at the X position).

Same question for wandering hordes. Will they bump into the walls and just try to bash their way through as they currently do in A16.4?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24914[/ATTACH]

This caught my eye since I did almost exactly the same base recently, except it was circular (well, the best approximation of it I could do with blocks) .. and while it worked for a portion of the horde, very well mind you, there were always patches of zombies breaking through the 45 deg angle wall on either side of wherever the horde had spawned. I had to scrap the whole notion of the base, sadly.

And yeah, wandering hordes were almost as troublesome pathing by and bashing walls as they went. Putting spikes outside helped, but enviably proved to be too much maintenance over all. If the pathing changes coming in A17 make it viable, I may try it again in a smaller scale.

This caught my eye since I did almost exactly the same base recently, except it was circular (well, the best approximation of it I could do with blocks) .. and while it worked for a portion of the horde, very well mind you, there were always patches of zombies breaking through the 45 deg angle wall on either side of wherever the horde had spawned. I had to scrap the whole notion of the base, sadly.

And yeah, wandering hordes were almost as troublesome pathing by and bashing walls as they went. Putting spikes outside helped, but enviably proved to be too much maintenance over all. If the pathing changes coming in A17 make it viable, I may try it again in a smaller scale.

Yes, my experience from past Alphas is exactly that especially with wandering hordes. They will bash through those big boulders instead of going around. Would like to try this base design out but it's a lot of resources wasted if they don't path correctly and just destroy the outer 45 degree walls.

Experimental is strictly opt-in. Nobody will be automatically updated to it.

so. this month or the next one :smile-new:? , still no estimated dates ? :) , or it will be surprise where i wake up and its there ..* HYPED *

EDIT: more smiley faces so you know iam not talking serious ;):);)

Just put steel logs on outer walls. they will be crippled and dead in little to no time.

Repair spikes or repair walls, it's all the same - as in rather tedious. I'd like to design something that directs the AI to traps and funnels them to where I'm at to shoot them. I'm hoping the new AI allows wandering hordes to just go around things if you are not sensed and allows 7th day hordes to path logically to you instead of trying to destroy random objects.

well.

AI system >>> reworked

sound optimization >>> reworked

graphics and shaders >>> reworked

crafting system >>> no info. (maybe surprise?)

sounds in total >>> in progress ( except the intro theme )

vehicles and physics >>> reworked

animations >>> maybe in progress ( not for A17 at least)

actually i said in A16 that its a whole new game :) , but it seems that i was wrong A17 is the total new game almost every thing is new and reworked , if i where you i would actually say to the hell with it and rework the rest of that stuff ;) , will i be happy with this :) ? nope i will be pissed , i want you to take out your magical stick and finish this ;) . i want to loot the new factory asap

well.

AI system >>> reworked

sound optimization >>> reworked

graphics and shaders >>> reworked

crafting system >>> no info. (maybe surprise?)

sounds in total >>> in progress ( except the intro theme )

vehicles and physics >>> reworked

animations >>> maybe in progress ( not for A17 at least)

actually i said in A16 that its a whole new game :) , but it seems that i was wrong A17 is the total new game almost every thing is new and reworked , if i where you i would actually say to the hell with it and rework the rest of that stuff ;) , will i be happy with this :) ? nope i will be pissed , i want you to take out your magical stick and finish this ;) . i want to loot the new factory asap

Look man, you need to use a smiley face here n there. Cant tell if you're serious, sarcastic, happy or sad. You've got the tools, use 'em!

Question about AI coming in A17. If this is my base set up will a 7th day horde path to the corridors if they are coming from a Northwest or Southeast direction or will they try to go through the angled walls? (assuming all blocks are made of the same material and I'm standing at the X position).

Same question for wandering hordes. Will they bump into the walls and just try to bash their way through as they currently do in A16.4?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24914[/ATTACH]

Based on all the AI discussion, maybe they'll go down corridors.

The AI Pathing as explained so far, zombies look at the total health of both the block at their feet and the block at their head. If that's true, and you line the corridors with traps, and your triangles are empty, they'll go through your walls and never touch the corridors. This would be because the total health of the path down your corridor is greater than going through 1 layer of walls.

Now, if this is a 70th day base, assuming you meant 7th day literally and your base is likely wood or cobble stone, on the 70th day, if those walls are reinforced concrete, and maybe 2 block thick, I'd have to math it but that should be more overall path health than if you have log spikes fully upgraded down the corridor. Maybe. Looking at your screenshot that's a pretty wide base. So still, zombies may path through 4 blocks (2 outer triangle and 2 blocks after getting inside the triangle assuming 2 block deep walls) of reinforced concrete.

The AI is about overall path total health as I understand it. Not about what block is in front of me right now.

So basically... Math out a line of health 3 blocks high, on any path. The path with the lowest health wins. Or so I understand.

Woops... and maybe not on all of this... As zombies can walk onto and over 1 block high of traps. Soooo... Yeah... Your base should have them pathing just fine.

Edit: Oh and I think faatal stated that block total health (including downgrades due to damage) is calculated. But I could be wrong on this point. But if true, that may include downgrades of log spikes due to damage.

...snip see here ...

Edit #2: And there will be a question about what the zombie is targeting. If anything in that base layout get's deemed as a "Support Block", should your character not be reachable directly by air blocks, they may turn on that "Support Block". So... say your triangle corners are steel but your walls are Reinforced Concrete. They may go after those steel blocks. Again, not sure here. But there was mention of targeting load bearing or supporting blocks... @faatal would have to chime in.

THIS

A Fix For: Servers In The "Modded" Category Getting Less Player Traffic

Currently in A16 the server browser has categories split up into tabs and has a tab for vanilla servers and a separate tab for modded servers.

Currently simple changes to the game settings move servers to the modded section when they shouldn’t (For example. Turning on air drop markers or HUD bars for hunger and thirst).

Servers in the modded tab get significantly less player traffic.

May people of the 7DTD community dislike this for obvious reasons. I’ve seen many requests for it to be changed/fixed.

The solution is simple.

Remove the modded tab.

Put all modded and vanilla servers in one tab.

Add a column that indicates if the server is modded (like the other columns).

This will undoubtably increase player traffic on modded servers significantly for obvious reasons.

Reasons like:

Many players will just choose a server from the first list they see.

Majority of players who avoid “modded” servers because they want vanilla probably don’t know that vanilla settings flag servers as “modded”.

P.S. I still think there are many settings that shouldn’t flag a server as “modded”.

THIS

Keep dreaming the current system is fine, this is the way mad mole wants the default experience to be and it is good there is reasons for it.

just do what i do play the default experience and when you change a setting that is modding it from the original experience.

they have forums and you can make your own website stating your settings etc etc, quit being lazy and put some real work in.

i have no issues populating a modded server, it just takes time and some work to be put in.

That's my Nickle EHHHH!!

Snip for space

I was thinking more a late game base so the walls would be reinforced concrete and the corridors would be more turrets, dart traps and electric fences with maybe log spikes buried one block deep so they are walking on them. The inner square would be iron bars so that block health would be considerably less than the concrete.

My bigger concern is how far that block health calculation starts from the player. If I build too far out they will just stop and beat on the walls instead of going around?

I would like them to make dart traps aim-able like they do turrets, I want to have them do a 45 degree up or down angle

You want to "Have it your way"?!?! What is this, Burger King?!

Haha, jk. Just read to the end of the forum and couldn't think of anything intelligent to say. It would be cool to have some type of upgrade to the dart trap and make it adjustable up and down to accommodate for hills and ramps. I've never played with dart traps personally but maybe I would if they were more functional.

Ok, I found something intelligent to say!

Has anyone heard of the "Zombies, Run!" app? It is an awesome app used while running. You are a runner for a group of survivors during the zombie apocalypse and you listen to these two survivors over radio communication while you are out scavenging. As you run, you "pick up" things from time to time like batteries and bandages. Randomly zombies start chasing you and you are supposed to run faster in real life until the threat is gone. After your run, you can open up the app and use items you picked up to upgrade your base (bandages upgrade the hospital, etc.).

Edited for horrible grammar: How cool would it be for 7DTD to partner with that app maker or make a similar app? It could reward you to go out and run! As you pick things up on your run, it transfers over to your 7DTD game. It encourages a healthier lifestyle and could give you the chance of getting rare loot.

Not my best idea and it is from way out in left field, but things tend to slow down on the forum when I get home from work so I get bored... You're welcome! :)

Do you have to be so condescending and insulting to the fan base? Way to go.

My criticism isn't that we would have to wait like everyone else, but it is not like that. It is more like that streamers and YouTuber's get to play around with it, while your paying customers are left out and hung to dry with no information at all until your post.

Why can't TFP just put it on experimental on Steam for everyone? Why is this virtual fame necessary to get what I paid for? I paid for Early Access, not stable builds. So give me what I paid for. Period. Now continue talking down to your customers, let's see how your next game sells.

it's interesting to think that because TFP actually have a forum for all their fanbase, they've put up with people crying like you. Honestly, I think it's pretty awesome that DEVs are STILL developing this game to be better. Better than buying some glitchy console game and paying $59.99 for it, only to find out that there will be no next "Alpha 2".

Your comments are rude and unnecessary. If you bought this game for $24.99, then you got MORE than what you paid for. If you bought it on sale for under $10, well, I don't even know what to say about your squabbling. And really? You didn't want a stable build? Hmmm... go back to your old console game and keep playing your glitches. Because apparently you think that's what you paid for...

Hey Skippy,

No disrespect meant. I know not everyone reads every single post as they try to catch up on all the posts so I will break it down for you and everyone else who are wondering what happened.

Hey Roland, read the whole thing... thank you for that.

I know you tied this into the OP, but perhaps there are people who don't realize that there's an actual link to your explanation because it's not spelled out for them???

Not that I really think you guys needed to even give an explanation (because this world has really turned into the worst "Id" possible) (*for those reading this and don't know what an "id" is, go look up Freud*)... I'm grateful that you guys are still doing the work for this game.

There are those of us who keep playing and tie in different rules to the game while we wait for A17 to launch... it never really gets that old.

anyway, again - thanks.

Archived