Do zombies poop?

Maharin

Or does everything they eat just stay inside them?

On a related note, it would be neat to have the zombie that lands the killing blow to you be tagged as a "permanent" zombie that never despawns.  Maybe its appearance would change a little (pulsing eyes or something like that) and have it drop a special box if you find and kill it.  And in that box is... "you poop".

Just kidding, but it might be a neat way to add a quest start item to the game.

I was just wondering the beginning of the meal. How far do you go before you stop eating someone. Surely they don't eat a whole human in a single sitting. 

How much do you eat in a meal? I bet I could eat a nice calf steak and be full.

Does each zombie eat until they are stuffed as full as a goose in a paté farm?

Do they stop when they turn undead?

Does the meat taste differently when that happens...

While you are chewing? Hmm

What if you made a vaccine out of you once digested through a zombie?!

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

What the literature about zombies reports is that they don't have any internal organic features that are still functioning, aside from the brain, of course.

The digestive system doesn't work. They have this constant need to feed, which is triggered by their undead brain, but the flesh they ingest just pile up in the stomach, there's no digestive or intestinal transit. They will feed until their stomach bursts and will keep feeding with their guts teared open and hanging down. The excess flesh will go down the digestive track but will obviously fall off their opened belly.

In this sense, that would be how they poop, I guess 😆

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

On 11/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, warmer said:

I was just wondering the beginning of the meal. How far do you go before you stop eating someone. Surely they don't eat a whole human in a single sitting.

Zombie #1 - I will start at the head and you start at the feet.

Zombie #2 - OK

Zombie #1 - Hows it going?

Zombie #2 - I'm having a a ball!

Zombie #3 - Slow down your eating to fast...

I will show myself out.

Kudos for getting me to think about a part of zombie physiology I hadn't considered before.

My first thought is decidedly yes, they poop. We know they eat, and something must happen to the food (unless these are 100% supernatural zombies that can flout physics at will). Kyonshi proposes there's no digestion, so the food bursts out of their stomach when they exceed the point of being full. However, thinking about all the zombie fiction I've consumed... while a burst-open stomach is certainly possible, zombies with this injury aren't particularly more prevalent than zombies with other kinds of injuries. Meanwhile, in The Walking Dead at least, all of them are portrayed as very dirty and foul smelling. So it's plausible enough that they're soiling themselves, along with all the other gross bodily things they're doing.

In Left 4 Dead, one of the things common infected do while they're just milling around is vomit. Of course, both that game and this game have special infected that spit as a deliberate attack. But in the former, any common infected can be seen vomiting as it idles. Perhaps, then, zombies eat, do whatever degree of processing of the food they do (whether that's using the stomach normally like any vertebrate animal, or some more arcane process involving the zombie pathogen), and then regurgitate the undigestible bits, leaving the lower gastrointestinal tract unused. Whether this is more or less disgusting is left as an exercise for the reader. :hungry:

On 11/12/2022 at 12:27 AM, geengaween said:

How high were you on a scale of 1=10 when you made this topic

My brain's natural state is one of non-stop asking stupid questions.  No drugs needed.  :p

On 11/12/2022 at 7:56 AM, Crater Creator said:

Whether this is more or less disgusting is left as an exercise for the reader. :hungry:

In my observations, many readers hate exercise these days.  Simple plots only, please.  :p

Not for me, though, I prefer books that are easy-ish to read yet complicated and complex, multi-layered so to speak.  The more challenge the better so long as I don't have to keep a thesaurus and dictionary around just to struggle through the text.  I swear some authors just puke out obnoxiously obscure words because of some superiority complex or something.

Is it too late to digress?

35 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I seem to recall Max Brooks having something to say on the subject in his Survival Guide, but I don't remember what it was.

They don't digest the food.  Evidence of food left in the stomachs.  Eating people does not fuel them.  They either eat so much their stomachs burst or it gets forced out.

A perfect example of putting 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag

I suppose it would depend on the lore? If they have basic bodily functions they could poop. But then I don't think that would be considered "dead." The Walking Dead series, I think, showed very limited and primal brain activity at:::::::SPOILERS:::::::The end of Season 1 (rage and hunger). The digestive system is kinda nuts, so my vote would be no. No peristalsis = no poop.

Also, I made an account just to post this. Gratz on the attention grabbing headline!

Edited by R1lE (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

They bite and seem to chew on people but do they swallow (don't you answer snowdog)?

At least in game I don't think they do. Maybe it is just muscle memory making them chew but according to the mess

on some zombies faces I don't think they actually swallow. (again snowdog, zip it)

Here's the thing, technacally zombies do not need to feed/eat period, they are essentally immortal, and usually won't die of natural causes. The reason zombies feed is because in the lore the zombie virus generally strips down their intelligence to their base instincts, and one of those is to feed, its also how the virus spreads itself. Zombies don't actually have any need of food or water. Thats the usual zombie lore in general. Virus/infection basically strips their mind of everything but the need to feed.

I don't think they are actually immortal or won't die of natural causes. I mean they do seem to rot. They don't have any fear (or common sense) so they will put themselves in situations where they will get their bodies damaged maybe even to the point of they do "die". As we call death for them anyway as the common theme is if you damage/destroy the brain then that is it for them. So people will kill them and they will it seems just eventually end up somewhere where they will just decompose into nothing. Will they vanish eventually? Who knows. Some lore makes it so it seems the virus is in everyone now but it just can't take over until you die. So that makes it seem that the virus will eventually win in the end...unless someone finds a cure.