Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Ouch Quit It said:

I have...several builds have been used in mods already. A game with a gyrocopter.....you would think would have one.......but maybe its me.

Trader Bob's new compound will have a helipad.

3 hours ago, khzmusik said:

With all the talk of climbing - are there any plans to add climbing animations? If not in A21, are they at least on the roadmap?

This please. Kind silly that everything slides/walks up ladders.

On 2/11/2023 at 8:43 PM, gunner1912 said:

@faatal do you think this new crafting change will not just change the standard method of progressing from grind xp for crafting to grind quest bc why not when i can get t6 loot in a week doing quests vs lootings for 3 weeks for a t4 lower tech lv item? or is the quest system going to be reworked to balance this new system as well?

I'm not sure. I would like to see the quests restricted somewhat and pushed out farther but I am not a big quester and others on the team have their own opinions.

3 hours ago, khzmusik said:

With all the talk of climbing - are there any plans to add climbing animations? If not in A21, are they at least on the roadmap?

Maybe, but that does not make it look better all by itself. Players like myself still want to point in any direction while on the ladder, so you will see what exactly? My gun pointed away from the ladder with my torso twisted backwards? Zombies need to be able to attack in any direction yet still be hanging on the ladder somehow. There is no good solution for the direction issue, which is why some games lock feet/hands/camera while climbing, which always feels like garbage, just so it looks nice.

25 minutes ago, faatal said:

Maybe, but that does not make it look better all by itself. Players like myself still want to point in any direction while on the ladder, so you will see what exactly? My gun pointed away from the ladder with my torso twisted backwards? Zombies need to be able to attack in any direction yet still be hanging on the ladder somehow. There is no good solution for the direction issue, which is why some games lock feet/hands/camera while climbing, which always feels like garbage, just so it looks nice.

Honestly, this is one of those situations where anything is better than nothing. For instance, if entities merely transitioned out of the climbing animation when attacking or looking around, that might not look the best, but it would be better than what we have now.

But I understand that there are more important issues, so I won't get upset about it. Good to know it was at least considered.

7 hours ago, Ouch Quit It said:

Coughs * Airport POI * Coughs

A major airport POI quest would be similar to clearing a small city, all at once!  It could be a tier 6+ quest.

It could (should?) be on a separate map and be the final quest that possibly ends 7D2D part 1 and opens into Part 2 (the player flies a 747, loaded with supplies, to their "Final Destination"...  Part 2.

59 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

Honestly, this is one of those situations where anything is better than nothing. For instance, if entities merely transitioned out of the climbing animation when attacking or looking around, that might not look the best, but it would be better than what we have now.

But I understand that there are more important issues, so I won't get upset about it. Good to know it was at least considered.

Anything is not better then what we have now.  I can already imagine how ridiculous a player would look like stuck in a climbing animation while spinning around looking in different directions.

Locking the player to the ladder could help but players/zombies would have to lose the ability to turn around and shoot until jumping off.

There is no simple solution.  At least what we have now, players can visually tell which direction zombies and other players are facing while coming up ladders.

Hello family, sorry for the interruption. Does anyone know if there are news from December 17 or new images from July? Some video on some channel or something. For family and work reasons I go in once a month or every 2 months. If someone could give me some news I would appreciate it. I'll be looking at the forum in a few hours. Thanks 😃

1 hour ago, xXCamaleonXx said:

Hello family, sorry for the interruption. Does anyone know if there are news from December 17 or new images from July? Some video on some channel or something.

No news regarding a release date. There was a post with a new character animation, but we probably won't see it until A22.

Everything known about A21 can be found on the first page of this thread.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Aldranon said:

A major airport POI quest would be similar to clearing a small city, all at once!  It could be a tier 6+ quest.

t could (should?) be on a separate map and be the final quest that possibly ends 7D2D part 1 and opens into Part 2 (the player flies a 747, loaded with supplies, to their "Final Destination"...  Part 2.

Could be a tier 6+, but probably would not be, I can't imagine them opening up a new tier just for one POI. The runway would probably be implemented like a river or city tile in one piece and around it would be randomly placed POIs of all tiers like hangars and commercial buildings, and at least one non-random tower POI.

In other words an airport would be handled just like a small town where the streets and layout are fixed and locations for random POIs of specific sizes are set up.

This way airports could have different sizes and layouts just like cities. @Laz Man wouldn't that be a project up your alley? 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Aldranon said:

It could (should?) be on a separate map and be the final quest that possibly ends 7D2D part 1 and opens into Part 2 (the player flies a 747, loaded with supplies, to their "Final Destination"...  Part 2.

Instead of a new tier, just have the Airport be the final quest CHAIN. We would clear the terminal, then the control tower, then hangar, and then runway. Finally, we fight the final boss and escape the game. 

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Could be a tier 6+, but probably would not be, I can't imagine them opening up a new tier just for one POI. The runway would probably be implemented like a river tile in one piece and around it would be randomly placed POIs of all tiers like hangars and commercial buildings, and at least one non-random tower POI. 

This way airports could have different sizes and layouts just like cities. @Laz Man wouldn't that be a project up your alley? 😉

I also would love to see an airport POI one day.  However, I don't think it's in the cards for 1.0.  I would imagine the big blockers is art support and RWG code support.

Although we can hodge podge some airplanes and other airport assets with shapes, it wouldn't look good enough to stand toe to toe with our art standards.  

Regarding RWG support, we would need a way to spawn tiles in a way to support the foot print of a runway.

We don't have airports in A21 but there are a couple surprises in store yet...😉

11 hours ago, faatal said:

Yeah this is tricky to pull off. Another game I play a ton(Star Citizen) is working on a way to do this, as well as vaulting and climbing animations, and have even showed some promising clips of it all working well, like being able to look around and even fire a weapon while on a ladder, as well as jump off and onto ladders at different points, slide down it, etc... alas it is not in-game yet(SC is infamous for this), so...

But it did look like it worked well, it's just really complex setting up all the character rig constraints for all situations. Plus to make things even trickier that overall game environment has varying levels of gravity, and EVA animations, to figure out. But it could be a year or two, or more, before it is in our hands to play with and test. 

ANYWAY... I used to check in on this forum daily, but it's been what feels like forever. How's progress on the next update going? I miss this game.

48 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

ANYWAY... I used to check in on this forum daily, but it's been what feels like forever. How's progress on the next update going? I miss this game.

I'm in the same boat.  Used to be daily, then weekly, now its monthly and sadly, nothing new in months.  Might need to change to quarterly...

Heck Madmole hasn't even been on the website since September 2022.  If A21 is out before June, I'll be shocked.  My money is on August for A21 with A22 comming in the middle to end of 2024.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

I also would love to see an airport POI one day.  However, I don't think it's in the cards for 1.0.  I would imagine the big blockers is art support and RWG code support.

Although we can hodge podge some airplanes and other airport assets with shapes, it wouldn't look good enough to stand toe to toe with our art standards.  

Regarding RWG support, we would need a way to spawn tiles in a way to support the foot print of a runway.

I just checked and I didn't see anything to specify sides on a tile where no other tile should attach. I assume you mean that that is missing, right?

Yeah, I think that would be generally something needed for the tile system to get some interesting applications. Likewise you should be able to specify a group of tiles that can attach to some side of a tile exclusively. In fact such a feature would also make it possible to specify a no-attach side, solving two problems.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

We don't have airports in A21 but there are a couple surprises in store yet...😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, Roland said:

We are here watching the pot waiting for the boiling to begin and it is taking forever!

Same as you remember..lol

I been getting myself mentally prepared for it.  Always search toilets in POIs and get disappointed if I don't find murky water.  Been buying glue and duct tape from the traders when they have it available.  Actually buying drinks from the traders and vending machines now   😁

32 minutes ago, IzPrebuilt said:

They're probs just gonna call you impatient for thinking 14 months without new content in an early access game is somewhat unreasonable.

You know it right!  After all, "we are entitled" to think an update should only take a single year!.  LOL 

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

Could be a tier 6+, but probably would not be, I can't imagine them opening up a new tier just for one POI. The runway would probably be implemented like a river or city tile in one piece and around it would be randomly placed POIs of all tiers like hangars and commercial buildings, and at least one non-random tower POI.

In other words an airport would be handled just like a small town where the streets and layout are fixed and locations for random POIs of specific sizes are set up.

Keep it simple and make it a 100 x 100 prefab that is a small airport on the outskirts of a town or city.