Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

6 hours ago, EvilTactics said:

Will this update bring a server wipe? will we loose all progress that has been made?

You can always tell steam to just stay on A20.6. You won't get new features, but you can play the same world until the sun turns into a white dwarf

16 minutes ago, meganoth said:

You can always tell steam to just stay on A20.6. You won't get new features, but you can play the same world until the sun turns into a white dwarf

Technically the sun already is a white dwarf star.

4 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

Hi @faatal

What are you working on currently?

You mentioned that water won't flow into other blocks like Minecraft does, is that for performance reasons or just a limitation of the engine?

Would flowing water be a goal for the future?

*I think* this is just a Unity thing, it isn’t very good with stuff like water and even when it does it’s sort of clunky and a resource hog for minimal results.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:48 AM, Roland said:

Yes!  The picture of the three feet represents “options” and of course it’s all on a menu. The boy depicted is “chunk” and the symbol on him is “reset”. At the time I did the clue, 15 days was the planned default time for MP but that might change. For SP the default will be off.  A placed bedroll or LCB will prevent the reset and you can choose from several preset time frames that you wish. The timer counts down from the last time a player entered that chunk. Probably not the most exciting feature people have been looking for but  still pretty cool and nice for server admins. 

Are the days measured in IRL time or in game time?

Another question regarding the chunk reset -- what would happen to vehicles/people who logged off if they were in a player-dug hole/pit when the chunk resets?

Do the vehicles get teleported to the surface or just poof (I assume whatever the answer is here it will apply to drones as well)? Likewise, if the player logged off in the pit, will they end up back on the surface when they log back in?

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

17 hours ago, meganoth said:

someone is acting like 20.7 or a21 hit exp. already wth? 20.6 has been out a while and I have seen no update so what's with this update talk

18 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

someone is acting like 20.7 or a21 hit exp. already wth? 20.6 has been out a while and I have seen no update so what's with this update talk

I assume the OP was asking what happens when A21 hits. And I told him about the other choice he has besides following the sheep herd.

1 hour ago, NekoPawtato said:

Another question regarding the chunk reset -- what would happen to vehicles/people who logged off if they were in a player-dug hole/pit when the chunk resets?

Do the vehicles get teleported to the surface or just poof (I assume whatever the answer is here it will apply to drones as well)? Likewise, if the player logged off in the pit, will they end up back on the surface when they log back in?

All of that has been taken into account. I'm not sure exactly how they will deal with it. Raising people up to the surface seems probable. Since it is just an option I'm sure servers will land on a setting that works best to avoid any situation where active players would find themselves logging into a reset chunk. Also a player can drop an LCB or bedroll to prevent it from happening.

5 hours ago, Roland said:

All of that has been taken into account. I'm not sure exactly how they will deal with it. Raising people up to the surface seems probable. Since it is just an option I'm sure servers will land on a setting that works best to avoid any situation where active players would find themselves logging into a reset chunk. Also a player can drop an LCB or bedroll to prevent it from happening.

auto chunk reset can only happen IF

<!-- The number of in-game days which must pass since visiting a chunk before it will reset to its original state if not revisited or protected (e.g. by a land claim or bedroll being in close proximity). -->

17 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

*I think* this is just a Unity thing, it isn’t very good with stuff like water and even when it does it’s sort of clunky and a resource hog for minimal results.

Watch this video and rethink..

So far the very best water simulation I've ever seen.

17 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Its not the what tool you use for the problem (maybe 5% total), but its what brain you have for things like that.