Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Forgot the kid's name was Chunk so I guess it has to have something to do we Chunk Reloading or Refreshing (though not entirely sure how that would work or what it accomplishes). I'm guessing it'd be similar to loot refresh in that chunks you haven't visited in 15 days refresh? But that doesn't account for the arrows or specials board in the clue.

Maybe it's something like, every 15 days there's a special quest available that is something like 'Clear Chunk' so clicking the quest icon resets all the POIs in the chunk?

58 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Forgot the kid's name was Chunk so I guess it has to have something to do we Chunk Reloading or Refreshing (though not entirely sure how that would work or what it accomplishes). I'm guessing it'd be similar to loot refresh in that chunks you haven't visited in 15 days refresh? But that doesn't account for the arrows or specials board in the clue.

Maybe it's something like, every 15 days there's a special quest available that is something like 'Clear Chunk' so clicking the quest icon resets all the POIs in the chunk?

hmmm, chunks load in a radius around you, so arrow pointing in multiple directions... but who knows, as for the number. can now load more of them with same memory usage, speed, efficiency... so many options to guess from.

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)

Regarding the new feature:

Sign indicates special event. Timer indicates every 15 days and circular arrows say its re-occurring. Goonies indicates a treasure (airdrop) which bad guys will also be after. Outward facing feet and three arrows indicates travel away to the event.

So. airdrop/ treasure hunt every 15 days with bandits guarding it.

Another more imaginative event would be every 15 days bandits take over a new nearby POI replacing zombie sleeper volumes so that the town becomes dangerous unless each new occupation is squashed.

2 hours ago, sillls said:

No more throwing a spear?  I haven't been on the forum for a while now. Why was spear throwing removed from the game?

Because spears are getting a proper power attack like other weapons.

Spear throwing was always a gimmick and no power attack made spears pretty much the worst weapon choice going, so it's a good trade off.

On 10/23/2022 at 12:39 AM, Roland said:

Nice work everyone on the 7 Brutus Denied 5 puzzle. Here is a visual puzzle for another A21 feature that has nothing to do with Hunger Games.

Can you solve my clue and figure out what is coming to the game?

image.png.961d02dc94b5007a3086931d0919c8eb.png

Ok I bring you the definitive guess.

So, on the 15th day a horde will spawn, but it's not a normal horde.

The feet and arrows symbolizes the movement, forward (slightly right and left too), but no back movement.

The kid looking upwards screaming in disbelief of the humongous thing he's looking at.

The loop arrow thingy in his chest symbolizes the sacred loop of time, what has been, it will be again.

So...Dinosaurs are totally confirmed for Alpha21.

Edited by Trankitas (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Trankitas said:

The feet and arrows symbolizes the movement, forward (slightly right and left too), but no back movement.

The kid looking upwards screaming in disbelief of the humongous thing he's looking at.

The loop arrow thingy in his chest symbolizes the sacred loop of time, what has been, it will be again.

So...Dinosaurs are totally confirmed for Alpha21.

snowdog, he isnt talking about, you, stop grinning and put your pants back on

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)

@Roland Asking from my side. I saw video talking about Bandits that they are not gonna be in Alpha 21 "maybe". Question from my side then is - If you guys hire someone who mod 7 days to die from side  like Darkness Falls who has npcs Ai in there modpack if there is chance to hire they "owner" or someone who mod this pack to help you guys with Bandits Ai/Movement or there is chance for them ? Just asking if this could help or not. Or maybe you have code for bandits and those stuff to send privatetly to them or something ? Or there is some other way ? Or it´s definitely no for Bandits for Alpha 21 ? - sorry for bad spelling not my main Language 

On 10/22/2022 at 11:39 PM, Roland said:

Nice work everyone on the 7 Brutus Denied 5 puzzle. Here is a visual puzzle for another A21 feature that has nothing to do with Hunger Games.

Can you solve my clue and figure out what is coming to the game?

image.png.961d02dc94b5007a3086931d0919c8eb.png

Truffles available at 3 different traders every 15 days in a new "Today's Special" menu with rotating flavors? 

1 hour ago, blueboyxg said:

@Roland Asking from my side. I saw video talking about Bandits that they are not gonna be in Alpha 21 "maybe". Question from my side then is - If you guys hire someone who mod 7 days to die from side  like Darkness Falls who has npcs Ai in there modpack if there is chance to hire they "owner" or someone who mod this pack to help you guys with Bandits Ai/Movement or there is chance for them ? Just asking if this could help or not. Or maybe you have code for bandits and those stuff to send privatetly to them or something ? Or there is some other way ? Or it´s definitely no for Bandits for Alpha 21 ? - sorry for bad spelling not my main Language 

As great as I think Darkness Falls mod is, I wouldn't take that mod's NPCs AI as a blueprint for the new bandits, lol :lol:

57 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

As great as I think Darkness Falls mod is, I wouldn't take that mod's NPCs AI as a blueprint for the new bandits, lol :lol:

I know :D But just asking if there could be some help from their side - Darkness Falls to somehow help make bandits able to be in Alpha 21 😅

4 hours ago, blueboyxg said:

@Roland Asking from my side. I saw video talking about Bandits that they are not gonna be in Alpha 21 "maybe". Question from my side then is - If you guys hire someone who mod 7 days to die from side like Darkness Falls who has npcs Ai in there modpack if there is chance to hire they "owner" or someone who mod this pack to help you guys with Bandits Ai/Movement or there is chance for them ? Just asking if this could help or not. Or maybe you have code for bandits and those stuff to send privatetly to them or something ? Or there is some other way ? Or it´s definitely no for Bandits for Alpha 21 ? - sorry for bad spelling not my main Language

You greatly overestimate the capabilities of modders compared to developers.

Made an account to ask one thing, which I haven't seen asked yet (though this thread is gigantic so I may have missed it)

With regards to the interactive fire hazard... 
"Flaming broken gas pipes blocking the way" 

Having played a lot of Darkness Falls, I must say I am quite used to being set on fire. What is stopping someone from just running through the flame and drinking water immediately? It doesn't seem like much of an obstacle. Will it do damage as well as causing the on fire buff?
Whilst it does look quite cool, I can't help but feel it's just another one of those "make the player walk into a zombie ambush" kinda POI design features. You go to turn it off and oh my! Zombies are falling from the ceiling, who could have guessed?

Regarding the more controversial changes, I'm trying my very best to reserve judgement until I play A21 and see how it actually feels to play.

Edited by Gronal (see edit history)

4 hours ago, blueboyxg said:

It’s definitely not no on bandits for A21. We haven’t reached content lock yet so anything is still possible. Don’t listen to people who want to sensationalize the situation for their own gain. 

As to modders helping,  it wouldn’t work. The code they are modding for NPCs is old legacy code and old legacy models. Everything being worked on for future bandits is brand new from models, to animations, to AI, to implementation and spawning. There’s nothing that current mods could contribute to speed things up because the “versions” are completely different.

“Bandits” are not just bandits. They also reach into and have connections to 3rd person player animations and clothing and armor sets. There is a lot being worked on and it is impossible to know how much will be ready and whether or not some initial aspects can be parsed to be included in A21. 

Right now faatal has wandering bandits enabled while he tests. Will that much remain in A21 when they release it? I don’t know. I hope so. It’s still a maybe. 

We are in the final stretch though!

58 minutes ago, Gronal said:

Made an account to ask one thing, which I haven't seen asked yet (though this thread is gigantic so I may have missed it)

With regards to the interactive fire hazard... 
"Flaming broken gas pipes blocking the way" 

Having played a lot of Darkness Falls, I must say I am quite used to being set on fire. What is stopping someone from just running through the flame and drinking water immediately? It doesn't seem like much of an obstacle. Will it do damage as well as causing the on fire buff?
Whilst it does look quite cool, I can't help but feel it's just another one of those "make the player walk into a zombie ambush" kinda POI design features. You go to turn it off and oh my! Zombies are falling from the ceiling, who could have guessed?

Regarding the more controversial changes, I'm trying my very best to reserve judgement until I play A21 and see how it actually feels to play.

Not all flame hazards setup will spawn zombies to attack the player.....😁

As for what happens if you try to walk through it?  I volunteer Roland to be our guinea pig...😁

7 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Not all flame hazards setup will spawn zombies to attack the player.....😁

As for what happens if you try to walk through it?  I volunteer Roland to be our guinea pig...😁

*bringing a fire extinguisher just in case*