Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

4 hours ago, Matt115 said:

You know - old skeleton lying in room or sitting on chair or in car - i will give example

Human Skeletons and Bones_1

Fallout 3 / 4 / NV had alot of skeleton environmental story telling.  Did you enjoy those titles? 😁

3 hours ago, Lennie said:

Maybe they could add a 3rd degree burn debuff that lasts for an hour, unless you treat it with aloe or a bandage. It would still be possible to run through it, but at a price.

There is certainly a price to pay for running through but in a fully destructible world, it's  a challenge to add them when a player can choose to dig a hole through the ground or wall.

Think of them as another mechanic / puzzle to engage and overcome.  Since this is the first iteration, I am sure its use and functionality will likly evolve with time.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Fallout 3 / 4 / NV had alot of skeleton environmental story telling.  Did you enjoy those titles? 😁

I didn't played in 4 but F3... omg this so plastic game like oblivion - everything in this game looks like plastic - that's why i don't like Oblivion/F3. But F4 skeleton enviromental story telling is great! . Metro 3033 have soo cool skeletons ( plane)  , Shadow of Tomb rider , strange brigades, Far cry 1  ( skeletons of japanish soldiers). Btw in Age of Empire 2 orginal version there could be skeletons everywhere and it was sooo good. Btw the best corpses of non soldiers ( not skeletons) have - singlarity, L4D2, days gone ( rotten but not skeleton yet). While in DL2 have a lot of skeletons on streets but this skeletons looks terrible because have only upperhalve. Skeletons in Poi's can in looks good or terrible in this game.

Laz man - could you ask Mad Mole if TFP maybe need skeleton advicer 😜💀

50 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

I didn't played in 4 but F3... omg this so plastic game like oblivion - everything in this game looks like plastic - that's why i don't like Oblivion/F3. But F4 skeleton enviromental story telling is great! . Metro 3033 have soo cool skeletons ( plane)  , Shadow of Tomb rider , strange brigades, Far cry 1  ( skeletons of japanish soldiers). Btw in Age of Empire 2 orginal version there could be skeletons everywhere and it was sooo good. Btw the best corpses of non soldiers ( not skeletons) have - singlarity, L4D2, days gone ( rotten but not skeleton yet). While in DL2 have a lot of skeletons on streets but this skeletons looks terrible because have only upperhalve. Skeletons in Poi's can in looks good or terrible in this game.

Laz man - could you ask Mad Mole if TFP maybe need skeleton advicer 😜💀

I wouldn't call you advisor, promoter or evangelist would be the better term 😉

2 hours ago, Cazmyr said:

*snip*

How did all those cinder blocks and I-Beams get out there in the middle of the woods anyway?

That area could have been city and during the whatever event that happened, those sections could have been bombed until nothing was left and then the trees started growing back only to be burned by first gen survivors.   At this point is when we come along and see the aftermath.  

I will admit that I hate trying to drive any vehicle in this area.

11 minutes ago, Damolann said:

That area could have been city and during the whatever event that happened, those sections could have been bombed until nothing was left and then the trees started growing back only to be burned by first gen survivors.   At this point is when we come along and see the aftermath.  

I will admit that I hate trying to drive any vehicle in this area.

That is true. I forget sometimes that relatively speaking the entire map is quite small. 

I could be pedantic and say that it is not likely that even the mountain sides would be that build upon that much, but your answer sounds good to me. 

4 hours ago, Cazmyr said:

3. In regards to the terrain in the wasteland. The burnt forest and wasteland were combined in the recent past. That is cool. The biggest thing is that because of that, even when outside cities, the ground is littered with I-Beams and piles of cinder blocks. This makes driving the 4x4 an arduous task. Is this the intent? To have there be a negative when using the late-mid to late game vehicle when in the late game biome? It has great inventory, great speed, but you can't go anywhere quickly unless you are on a road/ trail? Lastly I know the focus is gameplay of realism and I am totally cool with that, but I have to ask, How did all those cinder blocks and I-Beams get out there in the middle of the woods anyway?

This isn't a 'just use mods' response, merely an observation on one area where I think the devs missed a trick, and realistically we're probably too close to release to see significant changes in vehicles in the official game.

One of the things that's really impressed me about Bdubs vehicles mod is how varying the ability of vehicles to handle rough terrain makes for some interesting choices.  The Humvee, for example, is slow to accelerate and pretty fuel thirsty, but will drive over wasteland terrain without too much difficulty. Proper all terrain vehicles like the SHERP and the big armoured personnel carriers laugh at wasteland terrain - I've discovered they'll actually drive over a roadside crash barrier with no trouble at all. A bit of I-beam wreckage really isn't an issue.  They're relatively slow and fuel inefficient though.

At the other end of the spectrum you have stuff like the dune buggy that's fast, holds good storage and is very fuel efficient, but drives like a drunk hog on ice and will bottom out on a stiff blade of grass. It's great in the desert, who knew?, but a death trap in the wasteland.

I don't see the sort of vast proliferation of vehicles in that mod happening in the base game, but improving the 4x4s performance in rough terrain a little seems like a possible tweak. Its vanilla performance as far as hill climbing and rough terrain goes is pretty horrible.

If there was even one other high storage vehicle option added to the base game then moving the current performance of the 4x4 to a pickup, sedan or similar and giving the existing 4x4 decent off road capability, at the cost of a little speed and fuel efficiency, would seem like a reasonable solution.

I'm not sure vehicle mods that affect off road capability are feasible, as the shape of the vehicle object probably has as much to do with handling terrain as the unity vehicle stats (top speed, acceleration, handling, etc.).

Edited by Uncle Al (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Matt115 said:

You know - old skeleton lying in room or sitting on chair or in car - i will give example

Human Skeletons and Bones_1

The skeleton sitting cross-legged looks so Zen.  Makes me want to see that it game and make an outdoors POI with a group of that style skeleton sitting around a campfire in a campground setting. 😀

9 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Edit: can't seem to delete the duplicate quote widget from my phone.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Laran Mithras said:

If the "flavor" of A21 so far has been Art Assets, does that hint/imply/suggest that we'll be possibly receiving our new player character models?

O.O

That’s all but certain at this point, however that change may be less variety or no mutant characters which is good and bad.

On 10/22/2022 at 11:39 PM, Roland said:

Nice work everyone on the 7 Brutus Denied 5 puzzle. Here is a visual puzzle for another A21 feature that has nothing to do with Hunger Games.

Can you solve my clue and figure out what is coming to the game?

image.png.961d02dc94b5007a3086931d0919c8eb.png

A zombie horde on day 15 armed with baby ruth, slick shoes, and boody traps?

11 hours ago, Laz Man said:

There is certainly a price to pay for running through but in a fully destructible world, it's  a challenge to add them when a player can choose to dig a hole through the ground or wall.

Think of them as another mechanic / puzzle to engage and overcome.  Since this is the first iteration, I am sure its use and functionality will likly evolve with time.

That is how I think of them. It will never be possible to prevent players from doing things their way. That freedom is what makes the game so appealing. I am one of the players that does like to go through POIs the 'intended' way. Mostly. I like the surprises and the puzzles. And the little setpieces you level designers put in there. They add a lot to the world.

I believe Gronal does have a point that fire damage is kind of trivial compared to other debuffs, though. Maybe the decreased availability of drinks will help there as well. :)

10 hours ago, Lennie said:

That is how I think of them. It will never be possible to prevent players from doing things their way. That freedom is what makes the game so appealing. I am one of the players that does like to go through POIs the 'intended' way. Mostly. I like the surprises and the puzzles. And the little setpieces you level designers put in there. They add a lot to the world.

I believe Gronal does have a point that fire damage is kind of trivial compared to other debuffs, though. Maybe the decreased availability of drinks will help there as well. :)

Thanks!  I appreciate it!  I look forward to hearing feedback on all the new and updated POIs, especially the ones with hazards in them.

Apart from working hard to update all POIs with the new art assets, we have alot of new ones too.

Players will be very busy killing zombies in A21, that's for sure....😁

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

There's a mod out there that makes all wooden blocks flammable, and fire spreads out so that a whole poi will burn out or collapse when you don't extinguish it.

Never tried it, but that one would combine great with those static events.

Imagine fire bursting out suddenly somewhere, and then you have to find a way to extinguish it before it spreads out and locks you in, or makes everything collapse (hurting you of course)...and those precious loot boxes are also mostly flammable or break when they fall. 

I hope that finds a way into vanilla, maybe as an option "flammable blocks" for those who like that little extra thrill.

Oh yeah I can see it...fire extinguisher could be able to blind zombies if you hit them in the eyes, so then they enter rage mode running around wildy making random swings at everything. Meanwhile you can hurry and care for that fire that may make that pillar collapse what seems to hold up the whole building...oh now I peed a little 😀

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Thanks!  I appreciate it!  I look forward to hearing feedback on all the new and updated POIs, especially the ones with hazards in them.

Apart from working hard to update all POIs with the new art assets, we have alot of new ones too.

Players will be very busy killing zombies in A21, that's for sure....😁

Do you have skeletons? just please... ask faatal, madmole or schwanz about permission to confirmed this 💀