what's your pet peeve about the game?

ElCabong

Mine is, there's always something you find on the first day that you find again and again and again. This time it is corn seed schematics.  I think I've found 10 by day four. You only use it once though. Last game it was blueberry seed, that was fairly useful, but after you plant all the blueberries you want... The game before it was flashlights. It's rarely all that useful and kind of annoying.

2 hours ago, ElCabong said:

Mine is, there's always something you find on the first day that you find again and again and again. This time it is corn seed schematics.  I think I've found 10 by day four. You only use it once though. Last game it was blueberry seed, that was fairly useful, but after you plant all the blueberries you want... The game before it was flashlights. It's rarely all that useful and kind of annoying.

my biggest pet peeve for the game is the god damn repetive quest rewards only thing that makes the quests worthwhile is the XP resources and food you get from doing the quest itself

My only real pet peeve is that some of the frameworks used in older versions is no longer easily available to mod back in.  Granted, maybe it won't matter by the time it's done but some things like old biomes (plains, for instance) and a state of "no progression" would be nice to see as easily modable options.

I could share a number of them, but here are two.

If I find a better quality armor piece than what I was using, I have to

• open the character screen
  • select the old armor piece
  • click modify
  • remove each mod one by one
  • click complete (actually press escape because the complete button isn’t there)
  • take off the old armor piece
  • put on the new armor piece
  • select the new armor piece
  • click modify
  • install each mod one by one
  • click complete (actually press escape because the complete button isn’t there)

The interface is cumbersome for no good reason.  We can see the mods (and stats) on an item when we select it.  We should be able to drag and drop mods onto and off of a selected item without opening a separate modify interface.

We should also be able to repair armor without removing it first.  Since we can’t, they implemented a hack where repairing armor that was previously worn makes you automatically put it on again.   Which sounds nice, except sometimes I want to take off armor and leave it off, but also get it repaired, e.g. to sell it, or to put it away in good condition so it’s ready to go the next time I wear it.

My biggest peeve is not so much about the game itself...

but more the part where people get onto the forums and cry about the game not being "finished"..

As I see it, I bought one game and have gotten 4 sequels for free.

I hope it never ends.

for me its how subtle the difference is between item levels. a lvl 1 stone spear is very close to a lvl 3 stone spear damage wise. it doesn't give you incentive to upgrade until you have a fundamental material change. To me a lvl 1 anything is the most amateur "useable version" and a lvl 3 should be significantly better. a little more durability isn't worth it when repairs are as easy as they are.

41 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

I don't put a pet peeve on the same level a grievance. A grievance would be all the people that are going to play A20 and demand to go back to A19

Can’t happen. Historically, the even numbered alphas have always been more popular than the odd numbered Alphas. 

There’s really nothing A17 could’ve done....

11 hours ago, warmer said:

for me its how subtle the difference is between item levels. a lvl 1 stone spear is very close to a lvl 3 stone spear damage wise. it doesn't give you incentive to upgrade until you have a fundamental material change. To me a lvl 1 anything is the most amateur "useable version" and a lvl 3 should be significantly better. a little more durability isn't worth it when repairs are as easy as they are.

Partly agree, but it is a not so subtle difference if you have two mods for the spear you want to use.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I'm greatly annoyed by having to allocate attribute points before I can actually allocate points to skills/perks.

I'd have liked something like directly putting points in whatever skill and, as a consequence, I'd also raise the related attribute as far as my best skill in that tree.

E.g.: if I put one point in clubs then also my strength will be 1, when I put 2 my strength will raise to 2 and so on... immediate gain! :smokin:

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

The skills.

I never liked them since they were introduced. This isn't a cry for LBD return, but I have a few survival type games with similar skill trees and they all suffer because the devs try to mash in the basic survival perks that every reasonable player would want into class trees. Their intentions are always the same, to provide freedom of choice while building your character, but doing this only restricts the amount of choices someone would reasonably make. Survival basics should be pulled out and placed into a separate tree with no ties to recipes, weapons, class, etc. Stamina for example. Everybody wants and needs it, no matter what character you build. Sure, let players gain a couple more percentage points by going into an agility build, but don't demand it.

Edited by AtomicUs5000 (see edit history)

23 hours ago, Roland said:

Can’t happen. Historically, the even numbered alphas have always been more popular than the odd numbered Alphas. 

There’s really nothing A17 could’ve done....

Am I the *only* player still pining for the brutal desperation that was A17.0?

You what really grinds my gears!

the River biome! that was a cool idea and it fit well as a swamp but they got rid of it. 

now the plains... mhmmm i didn't really like the biome but i like the burnt forest and they want to turn it into the wasteland!

i think it would be cool if their was (Mixed) biomes (Mostly for random gen) 

On 5/15/2021 at 9:48 AM, Jost Amman said:

I'm greatly annoyed by having to allocate attribute points before I can actually allocate points to skills/perks.

I'd have liked something like directly putting points in whatever skill and, as a consequence, I'd also raise the related attribute as far as my best skill in that tree.

E.g.: if I put one point in clubs then also my strength will be 1, when I put 2 my strength will raise to 2 and so on... immediate gain! :smokin:

Totally in agreement. The current point allocation system doesn't make much sense and seems really retrograde.

I guess I'm used to Fallout/Skyrim-type systems where you also gain points by successfully using the skill.

Plus, I just started playing a few weeks ago and I'm realizing I have to put far more points into the base attribute to gain higher-level skills? Wha?

Is there/could there be a mod where your base attribute goes up automatically as you gain more points in the underlying talents?

1 hour ago, YungZaphod said:

Totally in agreement. The current point allocation system doesn't make much sense and seems really retrograde.

I guess I'm used to Fallout/Skyrim-type systems where you also gain points by successfully using the skill.

Plus, I just started playing a few weeks ago and I'm realizing I have to put far more points into the base attribute to gain higher-level skills? Wha?

Is there/could there be a mod where your base attribute goes up automatically as you gain more points in the underlying talents?

You may want to try Undead Legacy. It's an overhaul, but it's close enough to vanilla that it doesn't seem like a totally different game.

There you have a mix of point allocation and LBD.