A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

1 hour ago, wolfbain5 said:

i always thought the speaker alarm should attract zombies. I mean they are supposedly alerted to a thrown rock. so why does the speaker not affect them?

yes and the thrown rock or snowball mechanics should be dumped. Haven’t done it to distract a zombie ever.

i have thrown stuff at players and that doesn’t work plus feels unsatisfying.

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

the thrown rock or snowball mechanics should be dumped. Haven’t done it to distract a zombie ever.

There was a time when the night was a lot more terrifying. Lots of zombies, if you did anything, you'd lose cover and likely get killed, or have to run which was tricky to do if you wanted to hide again. Rocks were a thing then. In recent alphas, the only time I can recall REALLY wanting to be able to distract was with a mountain lion which had me trapped up on a mountain with a super-narrow road leading up. There were more critters everywhere, and they were impossible to fight for me at that point in the game. Stupid critters are immune to distraction though.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

Edited by Morloc (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

yes and the thrown rock or snowball mechanics should be dumped. Haven’t done it to distract a zombie ever.

Once you try to play a stealth build on a higher difficulty setting you might find out what the use is.

15 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

"should be dumped" i disagree.

i do use it now and again to make zombies move from where i want to go so it works as intended and probably other people would use it too if they knew you could do it. not every one plays the same way.

as for using it on other players... do you seriously play against real players who are distracted by tossing things and they go to check it out.. geesh and i thought zombies were ,,,,ur well nvm :)

57 minutes ago, meganoth said:

How that? You can destroy every block of the ground floor of a POI without entering the volume of upper floor volumes. POI crumbles -> sleepers fall

O-o . Shush. I'm digging here if you don't mind.:drum:

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I have used it a few times early game when at night I climbed on a huge boulder for the night. I would throw rocks to get zombies in distance to turn around when they looked like they were headed in my direction.

1 hour ago, unholyjoe said:

"should be dumped" i disagree.

i do use it now and again to make zombies move from where i want to go so it works as intended and probably other people would use it too if they knew you could do it. not every one plays the same way.

as for using it on other players... do you seriously play against real players who are distracted by tossing things and they go to check it out.. geesh and i thought zombies were ,,,,ur well nvm :)

I haven’t played single player in years.

host a server for friends & I to play on.

In the games current state throwing rocks has almost no value. Just remove it.

If not removed at least allow bring on the turds and let us throw them at players.

2 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

as for using it on other players... do you seriously play against real players who are distracted by tossing things and they go to check it out..

Heh...you're not trying to distract the players so much as ~attract~ some new friends to their location. :wink:

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

7 hours ago, Morloc said:

Heh...you're not trying to distract the players so much as ~attract~ some new friends to their location. :wink:

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

well  rocket and granade spaming can atract everyone were fast. but they usually after that are so cold 💀

14 hours ago, Morloc said:

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

whenever I play with my brother, my favorite thing to do is after night comes and he goes down into the mine I throw a rock down there so a zombie jumps in there with him. He usually kills it with no problem but I get his jump scare scream often enough that I can’t help but keep doing it. 

4 hours ago, samljer said:

steam patch literally said "is coming"

What I was asking is when

you need the comprehension, relax.

**A20 news** is coming, not "A20". It must be something bigger than the usual zombie reskin so my guess would be a video about the new RWG or showing off the new NPCs.

3 hours ago, bachgaman said:

Second patch for useless (only for me, I believe mostly all players use this thing) twitch integration looks like devs mockery 😁 2 months for localization 

Are you refering to A19.6 ? This localization work was likely done for A20 somewhere in the last two months and then deemed important enough and easy enough to port back to A19. From outside we can't know if the programmer doing it needed 2 months, 2 days or 2 hours for this work.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Roland said:

whenever I play with my brother, my favorite thing to do is after night comes and he goes down into the mine I throw a rock down there so a zombie jumps in there with him. He usually kills it with no problem but I get his jump scare scream often enough that I can’t help but keep doing it. 

I think this alone is reason enough to keep this feature. What can be more sacred than the custom of harassing your own kin? 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 7/30/2021 at 12:45 PM, Gamida said:

I have used it a few times early game when at night I climbed on a huge boulder for the night. I would throw rocks to get zombies in distance to turn around when they looked like they were headed in my direction.

Updating: I actually used this last night on a server I joined to keep the zoms away, again, while I was on a huge boulder for the night. So if it doesn't impact the game much I would also like to add my vote of keeping it...we are voting right?

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

**A20 news** is coming, not "A20". It must be something bigger than the usual zombie reskin so my guess would be a video about the new RWG or showing off the new NPCs.

it doesnt say news. it says, and heres a direct quote from the steam page for the patch.

"stay tuned, alpha 20 is coming"

that is the whole sentence.

Edited by samljer (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, samljer said:

it doesnt say news. it says, and heres a direct quote from the steam page for the patch.

"stay tuned, alpha 20 is coming"

that is the whole sentence.

Pretty sure they say that about every alpha even months before release. "Stay tuned for Alpha [insert number here]!". A20 is coming doesn't mean anything specific. It could mean that it's coming very soon (doubtful), but it could also mean that it might be months and months out but they are now approaching the final stretch.