A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

7 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

OH i like it ALOT i didn't see that on 7DTD discord

Here is a Demo for the 7DTD city. REALLY COOL but... holy hell i can kiss my PC goodbye!

this is how my PC will end up :(605888255_bybypc.gif.fe8569fa1d7ec8fdd336b4553204037b.gif

well so you miss two things what should be - full old skeleton, and newsstand 

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, DarlingCows said:

A few months? Dang I’m going to go a whole summer without 7dtd 

My honest bet is October for experimental and November for stable so they can take advantage of the Steam Autumn Sale. Obviously I have no insider information, but logically it all checks out.

7 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Pretty sure they say that about every alpha even months before release. "Stay tuned for Alpha [insert number here]!". A20 is coming doesn't mean anything specific. It could mean that it's coming very soon (doubtful), but it could also mean that it might be months and months out but they are now approaching the final stretch.

Thank you, this is all I was asking before that other [new friend] told me to learn to read.

Edited by Roland
Remove name-calling (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, samljer said:

Hold what ever opinion of me you want, but I suggest checking for info on the following page before assuming what a 3rd party, including Steam, posts is even in the right ballpark when it comes to versions. Specifically look for anything posted by Hated since they're the TFP staff member that handles the announcements here, though Roland also does on occasion.

News & Announcements - 7 Days to Die

A19.6 stable announcement:

26 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

I saw that but not the tasty corpes...mm its finger licking good

... i died.... just now i feel empty inside. old skeleton is sentece of post apo- you are going through robot occuped zone? skeletons in cars , mutants in russian metro? skeletons. you wake up in hospital ? you will find skeletons!

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

My honest bet is October for experimental and November for stable so they can take advantage of the Steam Autumn Sale. Obviously I have no insider information, but logically it all checks out.

Based on Fataal saying earlier in this thread that early Fall was POSSIBLE (which means end of september and the month of october), this is my guess too.

13 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

Based on Fataal saying earlier in this thread that early Fall was POSSIBLE (which means end of september and the month of october), this is my guess too.

He recently posted above that a realistic window for experimental is in a few months, not next month. This puts experimental's landing sometime in October, or late September like you said. :) A member of TFP also recently replied to someone on Twitter that a December release would only happen if something goes terribly wrong.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

He recently posted above that a realistic window for experimental is in a few months, not next month. This puts experimental's landing sometime in October, or late September like you said. :) A member of TFP also recently replied to someone on Twitter that a December release would only happen if something goes terribly wrong.

honestly making time machine will be faster that waiting for A25 😅

2 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Hold what ever opinion of me you want, but I suggest checking for info on the following page before assuming what a 3rd party, including Steam, posts is even in the right ballpark when it comes to versions. Specifically look for anything posted by Hated since they're the TFP staff member that handles the announcements here, though Roland also does on occasion.

News & Announcements - 7 Days to Die

A19.6 stable announcement:

Steam does not post the information about a patch. The dev does.

But keep tryin to get me, you got this.

4 minutes ago, samljer said:

hiemfire's been around here a lot longer than you have, at least on the forums. (No, lurking does not count.) For that alone I think he deserves for you to treat him with a little more respect than the post above - a lot more, actually.

18 minutes ago, samljer said:

12 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

hiemfire's been around here a lot longer than you have, at least on the forums. (No, lurking does not count.) For that alone I think he deserves for you to treat him with a little more respect than the post above - a lot more, actually.

@samljer VS @MechanicalLens FIGHT !

44 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm honestly thinking around Halloween for the steam sale, like you said.

38 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

honestly making time machine will be faster that waiting for A25 😅

BRB. Buying a delorian. :D

This is why we don’t like posts asking for release dates in the dev diary. People get called idiots and just today they were handing out masks again in order to enter Walmart.

Release date chatter ruins everything!

On 7/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, Roland said:

The beta list is for alternative branches to the stable version. You never need the beta list to play the stable public version of 7 Days to Die. People who have never ever opted in to any beta are playing 19.5 because that is the version that Steam automatically pushes when you select automatic updates. The only reason you would not get 19.5 automatically is that you have gone in and selected one of the betas from the list.

So, yes, select "none" and you will leave the beta opt in mode and return to the normal public update mode which happens to be 19.5

BTW, latest_experimental is exactly what it sounds like-- the current experimental branch. Presently, that branch is not available to the public and has been unavailable since 19.5 became stable. So latest_experimental WAS 19.5 when 19.5 was experimental. But when 19.5 became stable then latest_experimental went away. 

The old coke was the new coke before it became the old coke…

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

There's also not reason to disrespect someone for not having been around on the forum for a long time.

Everyone please take their pills NOW. =P

15 hours ago, Roland said:

This is why we don’t like posts asking for release dates in the dev diary. People get called idiots and just today they were handing out masks again in order to enter Walmart.

Release date chatter ruins everything!

well honestly i can't agree with you - if 7dtd gets road map like in cod or hell let loose could make people more calm - ofc i don't say that this same type of game = you can pressume a date of next update. So my suggestions is =  make small updates (Like junk guns with 10 poi )   per 1-2 months . this will let people know easy when new stuff will be added + nobody will have logical reasons to complain. ofc someone can say "yeah but always was big updates" and what does it mean? nothing month is perfect time to "finish" map and with periodical more stuff it will be always fresh. okay it is too late for A20 but after that every next alphas can works in this way. ofc maybe more realistic is 2 months or 3 months (you know better) but  i'm sure more people will be happy for this change

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

well honestly i can't agree with you - if 7dtd gets road map like in cod or hell let loose could make people more calm - ofc i don't say that this same type of game = you can pressume a date of next update. So my suggestions is =  make small updates (Like junk guns with 10 poi )   per 1-2 months . this will let people know easy when new stuff will be added + nobody will have logical reasons to complain. ofc someone can say "yeah but always was big updates" and what does it mean? nothing month is perfect time to "finish" map and with periodical more stuff it will be always fresh. okay it is too late for A20 but after that every next alphas can works in this way. ofc maybe more realistic is 2 months or 3 months (you know better) but  i'm sure more people will be happy for this change

A high level roadmap with visuals and updated rough time frame would be nice.

However, people will still complain even with one.  Also, the first post of the dev diary is sort of a short term roadmap since it lists features for A20/A21. 

The original Kickstarter goals is also another type of roadmap of features that is referred to alot.  It is worth mentioning that some of the features listed on the Kickstarter goals have been implemented in a mixed order and that additional features have creeped in over the years.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

really dont know why the few keep bringing it up tbh has been stated many times shorter updates wont work and not beneficial for the game and wont occur.  when it is out it is out. regardless what a developer does there be always some who will complain. 

Besides there are updates every so often called fixes 19.1, 19.2, 19.3 etc 

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

well honestly i can't agree with you

Doesn’t matter since this isn’t a matter of opinion. The fact is that release dates are not and will not be given. Period. You’re just pounding sand in arguing that they should give release dates. 😀

26 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

A high level roadmap with visuals and updated rough time frame would be nice.

However, people will still complain even with one.  Also, the first post of the dev diary is sort of a short term roadmap since it lists features for A20/A21. 

The original Kickstarter goals is also another type of roadmap of features that is referred to alot.  It is worth mentioning that some of the features listed on the Kickstarter goals have been implemented in a mixed order and that additional features have creeped in over the years.

honestly i can agree with most thing. well i checked kickstarter and..almost everything is realised ( well trader outpost are safehouse) except story missions.  Well this first post is  kinda roadmap i can't agree . well i know some thing are "learned " in production so my advice - just make few points like :25 new POI , new system ( like car mods or better lighting or change skybox for example) , 5 new zombie , new 50 props . And term - dunno 2-3 months ( in theory it can be changed right?) . well this is not perfect idea and people will compain but if i have idea which could help i will try to help

26 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

really dont know why the few keep bringing it up tbh has been stated many times shorter updates wont work and not beneficial for the game and wont occur.  when it is out it is out. regardless what a developer does there be always some who will complain. 

Besides there are updates every so often called fixes 19.1, 19.2, 19.3 etc 

well it will help a lot - well for example  1 more special into l4d2 could change a lot . this same sitation in 7dtd - 1 more type of zombie will add something fresh. long term cause a bad opinion - i offten say comments about rare updates . so something like this will make change opinion of this people.  into cod are offten added 2-3 guns and that's good enought to keep players.  so honestly few new items  zombies, and props sometimes will make better that 1 big update per year. for example i can complain about not enough zombie variants ( well that's why i hate outbreake in cod because i have felling of playing medicore game - firebaze z or mauer der toten have more variants so i don't have feeling "i just fighting with clone army"  ) but i know it will be not added in A20. so 1 alpha for me going to bin ( yeah it will add a lot but most important for me is zombie variants , for you it can be more weapons so you will be happy for Tom more pois so he will be happy too but Elis will be disspointed because there won't be bandits) . but 10 small updates will eliminate this update- if i don't get new zombie type in next month and will get after 2 months ( in theory)

19 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

honestly i can agree with most thing. well i checked kickstarter and..almost everything is realised ( well trader outpost are safehouse) except story missions.  Well this first post is  kinda roadmap i can't agree . well i know some thing are "learned " in production so my advice - just make few points like :25 new POI , new system ( like car mods or better lighting or change skybox for example) , 5 new zombie , new 50 props . And term - dunno 2-3 months ( in theory it can be changed right?) . well this is not perfect idea and people will compain but if i have idea which could help i will try to help

well it will help a lot - well for example  1 more special into l4d2 could change a lot . this same sitation in 7dtd - 1 more type of zombie will add something fresh. long term cause a bad opinion - i offten say comments about rare updates . so something like this will make change opinion of this people.  into cod are offten added 2-3 guns and that's good enought to keep players.  so honestly few new items  zombies, and props sometimes will make better that 1 big update per year. for example i can complain about not enough zombie variants ( well that's why i hate outbreake in cod because i have felling of playing medicore game - firebaze z or mauer der toten have more variants so i don't have feeling "i just fighting with clone army"  ) but i know it will be not added in A20. so 1 alpha for me going to bin ( yeah it will add a lot but most important for me is zombie variants , for you it can be more weapons so you will be happy for Tom more pois so he will be happy too but Elis will be disspointed because there won't be bandits) . but 10 small updates will eliminate this update- if i don't get new zombie type in next month and will get after 2 months ( in theory)

This is neither cod nor l4d2.

What may work for 1 game won't work for another. 

Anyways it won't matter it wont happen.