Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

11 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

I also remembered about wolfenstein and the first cod

Yep but in return to the castle wolfenstein and in first cod you have realistic mp40 - in vanguard you can make this gun looking terrible just....  watch in yt cod cursed guns XD

I'm pleasantly surprised by this update, to the point where I don't really mind the lack of late-game content. It's probably the most optimized alpha in years; even in its first experimental version it's running very smoothly.

I also never thought food and water would actually ever be a concern anymore in vanilla, but this update has changed that, which is really awesome. Love that we can now play with few-none rivers/lakes, and thus water bottles are actually valuable.

Also, definitely the best RWG in years as well, and the new HD models give a better look and feel to the game. It's actually bringing back the creepy vibes that I felt from the very first updates and thought had been lost.

10 minutes ago, Matush said:

Hey guys, a heads-up if anybody is interested. The game just broke it's previous all-time peak record of concurrent players by over 10k.

Screenshot from yesterday (Dec 10th):
NA7Kbq.jpg

and from today:

XqQ5G9.jpg
Utnslh.jpg

Well  7dtd is more popular that AAA halo?   nice job devs 😀.

Small wtf- how TF2 IS STILL ALIVE???? HOW??

5 minutes ago, RichyYoung said:

What’s the time frame for stable release ? How is experimental looking ? 

I’ve been stung starting a new play through on experimental in the past but It’s hard seeing all these play throughs poping up on you tube. 

Go ahead and start playing, ... There are a few bugs here and there, but nothing I have found major ........... Now with that said ... If you get any popping of trees or items in and out or the old marble effect .........

** Go into game settings and Turn OFF " Occlusion " that should fix it. I had to in my game, because I started to get trees disappearing when rotating my view or looking around. ** 

Have Fun and Enjoy ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

I liked A20 so far.

I got infected day 1, when I fell in a room with some zombies.

First honey I found, when it showed 40% infected. That didnt help much.

I think I got to 60% infected, when I died stupidly in the 7th night.

Not a lot of bugs, but the bicycle from the trader suddenly was about 100m away and buried about 2 or 3 blocks deep.

4 hours ago, bdubyah said:

So is getting POIs to load from mods on the list of things to be fixed or are we back to having to install them into the vanilla folders? Just curious as it doesn't want to load them from a mod folder no matter the structure you use.

I reported it already since we had that function working in A19.

One thing I've noticed is that weapon parts drop much less or in lower quantity in A20.  This seems to make weapon crafting somewhat pointless. I'm on Day 18 and just found the pump shotgun schematic. I was going to craft it but only had 1 shotgun part. I then turn in my next trader reward and got a Green pump shotgun.  I'm not sure what the value add of crafting is here.  There's no point crafting a blue pump shotgun when by the time I have enough parts I will probably have looted a purple one and I should clearly be saving my shotgun parts to craft a combat shotgun.  The lack of parts also devalues getting schematics. 

1 hour ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

One thing I've noticed is that weapon parts drop much less or in lower quantity in A20.  This seems to make weapon crafting somewhat pointless. I'm on Day 18 and just found the pump shotgun schematic. I was going to craft it but only had 1 shotgun part. I then turn in my next trader reward and got a Green pump shotgun.  I'm not sure what the value add of crafting is here.  There's no point crafting a blue pump shotgun when by the time I have enough parts I will probably have looted a purple one and I should clearly be saving my shotgun parts to craft a combat shotgun.  The lack of parts also devalues getting schematics. 

Usually you can get shotgun parts from double-barrels to craft a good combat shotgun early. But I agree, half of the weapon drops should simply be replaced by 1-3 parts dropping.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:18 PM, Roland said:

Congratulations to TFP: They broke their previous record today on number of players concurrently playing the game. https://steamcharts.com/app/251570

Lathan also mentioned that we broke our record on Twitch a few days ago with 677 people streaming 7 Days to Die. (normally there are 100-200 streamers playing the game)

Congratulations!  Well deserved, loving the changes and new stuff across the board.

Well...spears could have got a bit more love, but hey, got to grumble about something.

Having an absolute blast both solo and in a duo game.  Feral sense is fun.  Type 2 fun, but fun.

Also getting playable performance on my total potato (A-10 7800 Radeon R7 and a GTX 950 card.  With 16GB of RAM and an SSD I'm getting mostly around 30 fps on low settings).

The farming changes are fine!  Maybe an increase of seeds in loot might silence some of the torch and pitchfork crowd over on Steam, but definitely a good balancing change.

Thanks for all the hard work.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:44 AM, bachgaman said:

I'll tell you what I found on the first day of the game. 100% loot/exp, jog/sprint/sprint/nighmare, survivalist, feral night

0. It so happened that I started building a base on the POI territory called "part_trader_tile_filler_01". In some places of this territory, I cannot place blocks. Because of this, I have a funny hole in the ceiling of the bunker. I don't understand what it is. Video:

Reveal hidden contents

Hello bachgaman,

I checked this POI and didn't see anything obvious that would explain the issue you experienced.  We will need you to provide additional information such as your map/seed info.  Please visit our bug forum and use the bug report format mentioned in the red banner so we can get everything we need to dig into this issue deeper.  My initial thought was there is some type of invisible tree but need more info. to investigate that further.  Thanks.

https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/bug-pool/

2 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Agreed. I hope @madmole does as well. It would be interesting if the traders only dealt in parts. Sounds like a cool mod if TFP doesn’t like it for vanilla. 

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Hello bachgaman,

I checked this POI and didn't see anything obvious that would explain the issue you experienced.  We will need you to provide additional information such as your map/seed info.  Please visit our bug forum and use the bug report format mentioned in the red banner so we can get everything we need to dig into this issue deeper.  My initial thought was there is some type of invisible tree but need more info. to investigate that further.  Thanks.

https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/bug-pool/

Omg guys. Stop wasting QA time like that. @bachgaman can't you see in the video that you have a series of thin plate blocks on the side of the wall including  that hole all the way down to the floor and therefore you can't place your blocks ? Destroying them will allow you to place them. It happens, lol.

14 minutes ago, Roland said:

Agreed. I hope @madmole does as well. It would be interesting if the traders only dealt in parts. Sounds like a cool mod if TFP doesn’t like it for vanilla. 

Real guns? Uh, are they still in game? LOL. In my first playthrough in A20, I'm on a second in-game week, and... still using scrap armor (except boots as those are the only iron armor part that I found), and I'm still using pipe shotgun, pipe pistol, pipe machine gun and I have to admit, I initially hated them (mostly due to how slow they are to reload and the shotgun being one-shot only), but eventually I got used to them and I even started to like them! Not that I would have anything better at this time, but yeah, I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it that now we kinda have to go through this much slower progress, as there's no way to avoid it without cheating, but the game doesn't necessarily feel harder for this and I think it's more realistic this way, because the apocalypse obviously didn't start the day we were thrown into that world for the first time and chances to find something useful inevitably has to be thin, so it makes sense that people would have to improvise and craft and use improvised weapons a lot. Any improvised weapons TFP can put into the game, I'm all for it. :)

By the way, I haven't played the game for some time, so I probably forgot how it works, but I'd swear that once a quest TIER is finished, we are moved to the next TIER, but in Alpha 20, I already finished TIER I for two different traders and I still don't see TIER II, can anyone help me here, please?

8 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Horrific and doesn't matter? What are you really saying here?

Well, slowed horrifically, but then it ends up not mattering lol. My 5am brain was having hard time with words

4 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well  7dtd is more popular that AAA halo?   nice job devs 😀.

Small wtf- how TF2 IS STILL ALIVE???? HOW??

Well to be fair, Halo is split across Gamepass, Steam, Xbox etc. Still a huge leap for 7 Days though, it deserves the recognition for sure

52 minutes ago, Roland said:

It would be interesting if the traders only dealt in parts. Sounds like a cool mod if TFP doesn’t like it for vanilla. 

Yeah, sadly I skipped the pump shotgun entirely and went straight from double barrel to auto shottie. I almost passed on it just to get to experience the pump shotgun, but it's hard to deny an auto shottie being handed to you lol

The trader perks are great for getting to see all the new loot, but crafting perks have never been in a worse spot imo. Even as a crafting character I still don't see any reason to ever take them, especially the vehicle perks. I have a box full of gun and robotic parts and tool parts etc ready to go for when I was going to craft them . . . but there's no point since you just find better ones than you can craft  way faster.

IMO crafting should be the faster route than looting or buying, since you are sacrificing damage and other perk options specifically to try and craft it, but atm crafting is fairly pointless besides mods or something that RNGesus just refuses to give you but you find a schematic for

3 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

but crafting perks have never been in a worse spot imo. Even as a crafting character I still don't see any reason to ever take them, especially the vehicle perks.

I think crafting shines when you need to craft mods.

I always find schematics for mod crafting and I often craft weapon/armor mods myself after I get a workbench. :decision:

4 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

What lootstage are you on? Are you looting in a tougher biome/POI? It would make sense that the pine forest has been picked clean and the vast majority of weapon parts and guns (which should still be extremely scarce imho) would only be found in the harder biomes, especially the wasteland. Outside of toilet pistols, it should be impossible for a player to find anything better than pipe guns in the standard pine forest. Again, imho.

Besides, being stuck with pipe weapons until like day 30-50 is great for extending the early game imo. It was far too easy in A19 to acquire both weapons and their respective parts.

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Usually you can get shotgun parts from double-barrels to craft a good combat shotgun early. But I agree, half of the weapon drops should simply be replaced by 1-3 parts dropping.

I would have scrapped shotguns if I actually looted any. So far I've not looted any T1 or T2 shotguns.  I got a double barrel and pump shotgun from the trader and 1 shotgun part.

Hi. Hope you all doing good and well .

Madmole, please i got a question:

Wonder why Factory_01, and Factory_02 didn't spawn on my random map.

Did you guys renamed those?

Should i put any special number for the Seed?

I did check by Teleport POI feature. Only Factory_03 show up, and it's incredible, but i miss the other two.

Thanks for your awesome work.

Archived