Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Are there conditions such as max per city, max per world and minimum distance between for tiles?

Even if what was asked isn't possible in the WAY they asked, what IS possible will likely be something they wanted and will give similar results. I will go into depth when I do the dev stream. I don't want to give away too much too soon. ;)

40 minutes ago, rescue86k said:

People might hate me suggesting this , but can we delay pushing alpha 20 until the bandits are in? The update is filled with quality life improvements but them bandits was what stood out for me. I'll be happy with a tick box saying enable buggy bandits :)

If they delay A20 for bandits then it will arrive at about the same time that A21 would anyway. So if you feel strongly about your suggestion you can keep playing A19 and ignore A20 and then when A21 releases you can pretend that that is A20 and it was delayed for bandits. It's not like bandits are almost done and they just need to delay things a month or two.

So no hate. You do you and we will play A20 this year. :)

12 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Going to repeat an earlier question that I don't believe was answered. Are rebar frames gone in A20?

If so, I am not a fan of this change. One of the advantages of rebar frames is not having to go through the full upgrade cycle of wood (or flagstone)->cobblestone,->concrete-> steel. It also eliminates the wet concrete and reinforced concrete stages (which may no longer exist). In mid to late game I really don't want to have to deal with the wood->cobble->concrete->steel pipeline and just want to build in concrete. I would rather just focus on pumping out as much concrete as I can and not have to worry about crafting cobblestone rocks.

Yeah I'm worried about that too. The best part about them is, that you can pick them up when placed wrong...So what If I do a mistake? Will I have to destroy every misplaced block? :(

14 minutes ago, Diragor said:

Yeah I'm worried about that too. The best part about them is, that you can pick them up when placed wrong...So what If I do a mistake? Will I have to destroy every misplaced block? :(

Can you imagine Madmole doing that while building? ... I don't.

So if HE wouldn't like it, it's probably NOT like that. :smokin:

@madmole

@Roland

Guys, an important question regarding the random world generating:

Is there going to be a tool for generating worlds? I play with buddies online and because we're not in the same timezone, I tend to leave a dedi server on my home rack -  that way we can just join in at anytime, but the linux-based dedicated server has always felt a little weird to operate...

...so is there going to be a tool to use to generate a world which I can then just export and put the server to load it up? (or maybe a tool for the linux server that does not require a gazillion tetabytes of RAM to generate one 😀 )

Thanks!

I noticed with autoturrets, the 4 settings, self, allies, etc... but they dont target passive entities? why is that and can a setting be included for it or sent to xml se we can do it ourselves if we so desire? I mean they shoot bears and wolves and even coyotes, not sure on snakes, but completely ignore rabbits, chickens, and deer. I mean if you want them to target every thing that moves, shouldn't they be able to then target EVERY thing that moves?

5 hours ago, littlegreen said:

@madmole

@Roland

Is there going to be a tool for generating worlds? I play with buddies online and because we're not in the same timezone, I tend to leave a dedi server on my home rack -  that way we can just join in at anytime, but the linux-based dedicated server has always felt a little weird to operate...

...so is there going to be a tool to use to generate a world which I can then just export and put the server to load it up? (or maybe a tool for the linux server that does not require a gazillion tetabytes of RAM to generate one 😀 )

Thanks!

I’m not sure what you’re asking. There has always been a tool for generating worlds. It now has some extra sliders for choosing things like more or less cities, plains, mountains, hills, rivers, lakes, etc but it is the same tool. You would then set up your dedicated server using that world the same way you always have. I don’t think there is a change to how you set up the server. World generation seems faster to me. 

5 hours ago, littlegreen said:

You can generate a world on your desktop and copy it's directory/folder to the server. Does that help? That's current functionality. I doubt A20 changes it. Or, do I misunderstand?

8 hours ago, littlegreen said:

@madmole

@Roland

Thanks!

As someone who has been highly interested in the RWG for many alphas, this question confuses me.

You can generate a world on the dedi. You can also generate a world on SP and copy it to the server and have it load it up. What is missing for you?

8 hours ago, littlegreen said:

@madmole

@Roland

Thanks!

Are you wanting the GUI's RWG map preview before generating the world?  If so, then first run the full game someplace and use that graphical tool, then once you've selected the seed you want or created the world, run it headless.  Simple.  Why have an extra tool that does the same thing when you can just launch the GUI / full game for that?

I am going to drop a tiny bit of info since towns a tiles are being asked about.
Custom townships are possible now, not just city, town, and country. We made an "oldwest" township that has street tiles that match that theme.
In my dev stream in a couple weeks I will explain how that works and how modders can make custom towns using their own set of tiles.

3 minutes ago, Kinyajuu said:

I am going to drop a tiny bit of info since towns a tiles are being asked about.
Custom townships are possible now, not just city, town, and country. We made an "oldwest" township that has street tiles that match that theme.
In my dev stream in a couple weeks I will explain how that works and how modders can make custom towns using their own set of tiles.

Do we will get new "oldwest" props too? ^^

@Kinyajuu Taking advantage of you reading the dev diary again, let me re-ask these questions: 😃

Random Gen questions:

1. Are there plans for wilderness tiles? Say, something like "house goes here, well or water tower goes here, one small crop here and one medium crop here", to be spawned in the wilderness?

2. And if there are no plans for that, would it work if someone created a rwg_tile_wilderness as a mod?

3. Will modlets work with rng, loading tiles and prefabs from modlets that have them before world creation starts?

4. Can one create a "wildcard" tile that may be used on any zoning?

5. Are there "no roads" tiles? For example, if I wanted to create a no-cars downtown tile.

6. Can we get a "save preview" option on the previewer to create a png or jpeg of the whole map? (I'll admit: that's not really a question 😂)

4 hours ago, Roland said:

I’m not sure what you’re asking. There has always been a tool for generating worlds. It now has some extra sliders for choosing things like more or less cities, plains, mountains, hills, rivers, lakes, etc but it is the same tool. You would then set up your dedicated server using that world the same way you always have. I don’t think there is a change to how you set up the server. World generation seems faster to me. 

@Swiftpaw @meganoth @dcsobral

I realize now I may have been doing things the wrong way, nevertless... :

I am talking about a dedicated tool - i.e. external application. Kind of like Nitrogen here on the forum. Upto now, I have always generated worlds using the serverconfig.xml on my linux dedicated server, which is very painful for the hardware - and only recently found Nitrogen ... unfortunately it is now a dead project. It had all the sliders you could wish for - and just exported the world without even launching the game. WIthout even having the game installed. And used A LOT less RAM to boot.

Obviously the way the world is generated will be changing vastly now, so I was wondering if we can maybe have something of that kind built into the game...  ☺️

EDIT: BTW, just saying - launching the game in windows, going to "Editing Tools" -> "Random Gen Previewr" lets me generate a map, but not use it... I mean I can see it in the World Editor, but I don't see any physical files with that name anywhere in the game directory.... it has always been like that for me - hence why I have not used it ever. As I said in the beginning - I may have not been doing some things the best way :D

20 minutes ago, littlegreen said:

@Swiftpaw @meganoth @dcsobral

I realize now I may have been doing things the wrong way, nevertless... :

I am talking about a dedicated tool - i.e. external application. Kind of like Nitrogen here on the forum. Upto now, I have always generated worlds using the serverconfig.xml on my linux dedicated server, which is very painful for the hardware - and only recently found Nitrogen ... unfortunately it is now a dead project. It had all the sliders you could wish for - and just exported the world without even launching the game. WIthout even having the game installed. And used A LOT less RAM to boot.

Obviously the way the world is generated will be changing vastly now, so I was wondering if we can maybe have something of that kind built into the game...  ☺️

There's KingGen which is active (link below). You don't need to start a game to generate a world, just click on Editing Tools -> Random Gen Previewer from the main menu. You can generate worlds on the dedi without changing serverconfig.xml too. For example, I have a set of tools to create and analyse seeds, and this is how it creates a seed using dedi:

7DaysToDieServer.exe -quit -batchmode -nographics -logfile "$(wslpath -w "${LOG}")" -configfile=serverconfig.xml -UserDataFolder=UserData -GameWorld=RWG -WorldGenSize="${SIZE}" -WorldGenSeed="${SEED}" -GameName=test -verbose -dedicated

(my tools are publicly available at https://github.com/dcsobral/seedGen )

KingGen forum post:

10 hours ago, littlegreen said:

@madmole

@Roland

Thanks!

Isnt there 3rd party map generators? Probably wait for those to get updated?

Im not sure on this... king generator, or something.

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

Thanks!

I will look into both of those - hopefully both work with A20 :)

Cheers!

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

There's KingGen which is active (link below). You don't need to start a game to generate a world, just click on Editing Tools -> Random Gen Previewer from the main menu. You can generate worlds on the dedi without changing serverconfig.xml too. For example, I have a set of tools to create and analyse seeds, and this is how it creates a seed using dedi:

7DaysToDieServer.exe -quit -batchmode -nographics -logfile "$(wslpath -w "${LOG}")" -configfile=serverconfig.xml -UserDataFolder=UserData -GameWorld=RWG -WorldGenSize="${SIZE}" -WorldGenSeed="${SEED}" -GameName=test -verbose -dedicated

(my tools are publicly available at https://github.com/dcsobral/seedGen )

KingGen forum post:

Archived