Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

*logs in to A19 dev diary for first time*

*spends a few hours playing catch-up*

*encounters the magical word "junkbot", dies a little on the inside for missing the heat of the discussion*

If I had but one subject in this game I felt qualified to provide input on, this is it.

- The drone idea is admittedly realistic, however not so much for carrying cargo or a heavy weapon, so maybe not. But if done could float at head level, within 2nd 3m block space, and should be at least a quad-motor, if not 6 or 8 motor. And it would be loud AF, so not a stealthy choice. It would also drain batteries like a mofo, especially if weighed down, so not practical tbh.

- A legged robot, like Spot Mini from Boston Dynamics, or ANYmal, could carry cargo and/or a weapon. Would also be able to go indoors, up stairs, etc. But would also be very similar regarding pathing and animation, to a wolf companion. So there's that. I closely follow, and contribute to, robot anatomy in the real world. DARPA constantly has challenges in challenging environments, these robots do best in multiple terrain scenarios, all while carrying large loads, unlike drones. These win.

- Wheeled or tracked platform, great outdoors, like a mini vehicle basically, but no so much inside POIs, stairs etc would be an issue. Unless you get creative with it, realistically at that, which leads me to...

- Legged + wheeled platform. Basically put a motorized wheel on each leg, as it's foot. Great both indoors and out. Not so much about walking as it is about having a really good suspension system, basically. I have been playing with this anatomy, on multiple scales, since the 1990s. They are finally starting to emerge irl:

My most recent design, albeit far too polished for 7dtd, would need a major "junk" visual overhaul. This is a Search & Rescue robot. I do have others, a ton, could dig some up or make new ones, if interested.

NR-AP-SR-Prgrs10-28p2.thumb.jpg.730a398800289f3aef6b3af84ec152bc.jpg

1343238540_NR-SampR-PrgrsSnpsht-11-10v2.thumb.jpg.3400d56cabf67b9eef80f07c4f9570c7.jpg

But they did modify an ANYmal with wheels on it's legs. It's no joke, and this niche of anatomy is just starting to take off. Would be well defined and refined by the time period this game takes place in. A good link to a real robot that gets the point across:

1668604645_download(1).thumb.jpg.9e00e241cc43a315fb3beeb6c889f378.jpg

I was even contacted by Armasuisse to do concepts for these, and a few others. They consider my work the next steps. But I just design at high level, these peeps are making them function irl. Anyway, this is my vote, for best mobility platform, size, and ability to haul cargo and weaponry, etc.

No even in Fallout it is more of a novelty that a useful perk or feature. In Skyrim it makes more sense to reverse pickpocket because there are jails, bounty hunters, and organized law so it feels more fun to rob people in Skyrim. In Fallout and or 7 Days its more of a wasteland justice system where the biggest guns win. We don't really have loot laying about either like those games so stealing is just can of worms with no value IMO, at least in a post apocalyptic game. Everything is up for grabs, take it and shoot anyone who gets in the way.

Maybe the next game then.

Also would be cool to add a Karma system too but I guess with factions coming it'll probably be the same thing.

It's just cool to interact and change the world besides block building/destruction (which is awesome) and killing baddies.

Ok, since I know the wolf companion was considered difficult I have been thinking about some other options. There may be a much much simpler one:

Basically just take the current junk turrets and put omni-wheels on their legs, and articulate the legs just a bit, for going up stairs and such. That would keep them within a one-block space, which I am imagining was part of the pathing issue problems, just guessing though.

The reason I did not mention 2 legged platforms is because, well, they are not very practical irl. Sure you could try it for the game, but it would be much better to have something with 3 or 4 legs than just 2. Those ♥♥♥♥ing things fall over constantly, and I mean constantly, you just never see that in videos, but I have been in the labs irl, they are stupidly unstable, and heavily damage themselves when they do fall. They are also slow, and not very efficient. 3 or 4 legged platform are far more stable and efficient. With wheels even more so.

* this option does not however leave much room for cargo space

Anyway, that would be a simple and realistic option, merely upgrading the base of the existing turrets with a slightly more articulate platform. The omni wheels are good too, so can strafe etc. Anyone who has driven a drone in Rainbow 6 Seige knows what I am talking about, and that is also a very real thing. Would also help simplify animation and pathing since the robot could basically move in any direction without turning it's body at all.

A good example of omni-wheels, about the size of existing turret bases. All this would need is a single shoulder joint, not full legs with elbows/knees. A bit of plumping and you could even have some cargo space, like back-pack size.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31134[/ATTACH]

*encounters the magical word "junkbot", dies a little on the inside for missing the heat of the discussion*

If I had but one subject in this game I felt qualified to provide input on, this is it.

- The drone idea is admittedly realistic, however not so much for carrying cargo or a heavy weapon, so maybe not. But if done could float at head level, within 2nd 3m block space, and should be at least a quad-motor, if not 6 or 8 motor. And it would be loud AF, so not a stealthy choice. It would also drain batteries like a mofo, especially if weighed down, so not practical tbh.

- A legged robot, like Spot Mini from Boston Dynamics, or ANYmal, could carry cargo and/or a weapon. Would also be able to go indoors, up stairs, etc. But would also be very similar regarding pathing and animation, to a wolf companion. So there's that. I closely follow, and contribute to, robot anatomy in the real world. DARPA constantly has challenges in challenging environments, these robots do best in multiple terrain scenarios, all while carrying large loads, unlike drones. These win.

- Wheeled or tracked platform, great outdoors, like a mini vehicle basically, but no so much inside POIs, stairs etc would be an issue. Unless you get creative with it, realistically at that, which leads me to...

- Legged + wheeled platform. Basically put a motorized wheel on each leg, as it's foot. Great both indoors and out. Not so much about walking as it is about having a really good suspension system, basically. I have been playing with this anatomy, on multiple scales, since the 1990s. They are finally starting to emerge irl:

My most recent design, albeit far too polished for 7dtd, would need a major "junk" visual overhaul. This is a Search & Rescue robot. I do have others, a ton, could dig some up or make new ones, if interested.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31132[/ATTACH]

But they did modify an ANYmal with wheels on it's legs. It's no joke, and this niche of anatomy is just starting to take off. Would be well defined and refined by the time period this game takes place in. A good link to a real robot that gets the point across:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31133[/ATTACH]

I was even contacted by Armasuisse to do concepts for these, and a few others. They consider my work the next steps. But I just design at high level, these peeps are making them function irl. Anyway, this is my vote, for best mobility platform, size, and ability to haul cargo and weaponry, etc.

Realism doesn't matter much to us. You can carry 20k tons of concrete, so yeah we're letting the drone carry some gear, because game play/fun/cool stuff beats realism.

He asked if you were still on the forums and I said yeah, so he was like oh ♥♥♥♥ that. :D

:D:)

Glad to hear he's okay - he had not been long on the forum, I started to worry :)

Even though the RWG is gathering dust in the corner. I believe that he will come and fix everything :)

No even in Fallout it is more of a novelty that a useful perk or feature. In Skyrim it makes more sense to reverse pickpocket because there are jails, bounty hunters, and organized law so it feels more fun to rob people in Skyrim. In Fallout and or 7 Days its more of a wasteland justice system where the biggest guns win. We don't really have loot laying about either like those games so stealing is just can of worms with no value IMO, at least in a post apocalyptic game. Everything is up for grabs, take it and shoot anyone who gets in the way.

I've had an idea where instead of bethesda rpg style pickpocketing, it's more of an allowance to take items for free from the traders. Like every time their stock resets players with the perk get up to a couple thousand dukes worth of items to "buy" for free. It'd be a good way for the Agility class in particular to be able to provide resources. This thief-currency wouldn't be able to be stockpiled to encourage spending it when possible on needed resources and not thinking "but what if next reset they have...?"

Realism doesn't matter much to us. You can carry 20k tons of concrete, so yeah we're letting the drone carry some gear, because game play/fun/cool stuff beats realism.

Oh yeah, agree. Just giving you some input/perspective on it more than anything, since you're amidst deciding and designing the junkbot it felt appropriate. I'd assume some level of realism, that fits with lore, is desirable, but def not necessary. I'm a hard sci-fi guy, and this just happens to be within my professional career path. Again just some input and ideas for you.

Sure I will enjoy whatever anatomy you come up with. Excited to see what it will be, flying, walking, driving, as long as it's a robot I'll be psyched regardless.

I finished fixes for and testing of Unity 2019.2 (the latest .17 version) today and we will be using it for A19.

The main change players would notice is they fixed the texture compression artifacts, which could be seen in our clouds. Vulkan still crashes on Windows. It takes longer to crash, but it still does and FPS is lower anyway. I tested DX12, but it has lower FPS than DX11 and causes an error with post processing, so that is not ready for prime time.

We do get faster builds and incremental GC works in the Unity editor, so smoother testing for us. Yay!

Great, thank you very much for this data!

I wasn't telling you how or what to do, again just a real world perspective, thought you'd appreciate the input is all. Kinda like the videos you posted a few weeks ago showing real robots as back up to your idea of a junkbot making sense in the game for those who doubted it. I'm not one of those "it has to make total sense" people. I still love most spaceships and robots in Star Wars even though very very few of them would ever stand a chance of actually existing or being even remotely functional irl.

And I love this game, you balance realism and fun really well. I'd say realism does matter, just not in every aspect of the game. A bike has more storage than a jeep, etc. Thought it might help you figure out how many slots to put in the junkbot, and so on. But ok, if the input isn't helpful at all then I'll just stop and wait to see what ends up in the game. Again I'm bound to like whatever it is anyway.

well its twitter. what do you expect? also how???

Been reading the comments. Apparently is has to do with the whole "slim waist, large chest trope". Also, notice how it's basically only one person who is making an issue out of this. (My opinion? It's whatever. Her character model in terms of graphics looks better, that's cool, I don't/wouldn't care how she would look otherwise.) Just another triggered SJW, pay them no mind.

well its twitter. what do you expect? also how???

It's the double-d's, some people get awfully jealous. There's absolutely nothing out of proportion for a human, hell, I played with a set of j's in my youth which are as large as your head... great fun. :-)

I do agree that Jen should probably wear a bra with those otherwise things may start gettng a little pendulous after a few years.

If you're fighting camels beware of the toe, I hear it's the most dangerous part.

Been reading the comments. Apparently is has to do with the whole "slim waist, large chest trope". Also, notice how it's basically only one person who is making an issue out of this. (My opinion? It's whatever. Her character model in terms of graphics looks better, that's cool, I don't/wouldn't care how she would look otherwise.) Just another triggered SJW, pay them no mind.

as long as i can play the damn game im ok.

It's the double-d's, some people get awfully jealous. There's absolutely nothing out of proportion for a human, hell, I played with a set of j's in my youth which are as large as your head... great fun. :-)

I do agree that Jen should probably wear a bra with those otherwise things may start gettng a little pendulous after a few years.

If you're fighting camels beware of the toe, I hear it's the most dangerous part.

well that what the Iron shield with a Stun mod is for. but if there zombie camels...... 700.nitro is the only way

PS *edit* this is not targeted towards the drones discussion, but a general feedback for basicially everything that has been happening since A12.

Look... I've not always been nice to you guys (and you returned the favour) but maybe you should care about realism. Well... not realism but believability.

We all get why WE can carry that much concrete. But the world around us should abide to logic. Otherwise you muddy the waters. Just because there are SOME things that are a necessary break of reality (like the inventory) does not mean that you can simply make people fly for no reason... lets introduce magic into this arizona apocalypse...

What I am saying is:

please do consider "reality". Often times you can make enjoyable mechanics out of realism. There is a boundry to crushing realism for the sake of gameplay. After a while you, as the player, are completely ripped out of the immersion.

Just because you could do a big boombox opponent in Dark Souls that makes pop-culture references, does not mean that you should. It could be a fun encounter, but you are ripped out of the immersion of this dark and tense environment.

Or what if in Fallout, all cars would still be functioning even though it has been 300 years? "Well we wanted players to have a fast travel vehicle ready everywhere so we just said that the nukes radiation actually power all the cars now and keep them working"

It feels wrong. Just because you can break immersion for the sake of gameplay... doesnt mean you always should. There is a fine line... and I feel like you guys cross it way to willy-nilly.

Madmole,

some of us would like the ability to load turrets with alternate ammo type, is this possible/plausible?

such as slugs in the shotgun turret, or ap ammo in the smg turret.

Yeah, I like small stone be used as Junk turret ammo, they need not to be as effective as metal, but it is good to have stone throwing machine.

*encounters the magical word "junkbot", dies a little on the inside for missing the heat of the discussion* ...

I was wondering where you were during this lol

Archived