Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Depends if we get everything in we want to by gold, how its selling, etc. We have other games in the works we want to focus on more at some point.

speaking of gold... i feels realy close ^^ The only big is water I think.

I want to build in and close to water without problems. I want interesting stuff in the water if there are big bodys of water. (or reduce waterblocks to a minimum. )

Depends if we get everything in we want to by gold, how its selling, etc. We have other games in the works we want to focus on more at some point.

Like what? Would it be another zombie game or are you all thinking of changing the theme?

Hot bandits? New mutated things (is it a zombie or what?) for late game stages instead of simple green glowing reskins. I'm kind of thinking the radiated are not even zombies, but humans that survived and mutated. Their flesh is so disgusting even a zombie won't eat it so they walk among the dead. Perhaps they are no longer human, noone knows but they seem to be more intelligent as they wield crude melee weapons and are very hard to kill.

Long time listener, first time caller.

First of all, thank you for this amazing game. Been playing games since Commodore 64 and 7D ranks among my top 5 all time.

Re: those bright green highlighter zeds- can't stand them. So ugly.. Out of place with everything else in the game. I've been hoping these would be changed/removed for a long time.

We've decided on flying drone already (had the first meeting yesterday) due to pathing issues with bipeds.

We take realism into account when we can, but we never let it be and edge blocker for cool ideas. Thanks for the input. Its most likely going to be a flying drone that has inventory space, a taser arm, a healing arm, and some mod slots. Mostly a little helper like r2d2 and not a giant sentry bot that can crush your enemies at all. Having something that can heal you and maybe stun the nearest zed with a cooldown will still be a great help in the midst of combat.

Nice, a well balanced choice tbh. A good mix of real and existing robots with already in-place game mechanics, i.e. inventory. I've seen enough real world drones of a decent size, even ones carrying weapons, from paintball guns to pistols and actual machine guns. That really is a thing, only catch irl is that they either have tethered power or really short flight times, but again that's an easy stretch for the game to make. Plus by this time period there could very well be much better batteries anyhow. So it's actually more realistic than not, well played.

One thing I would suggest, albeit non-critical, is to give it ducted fans instead of open blades. Not only more practical when flying indoors irl, otherwise merely bumping a wall would destroy it, and then there's the whole "flying blender" issue. I also imagine it would be easier to implement in the engine, as far as modeling and animation, but I'm just guessing on that part.

Looking forward to what you guys end up with, thanks for the reply Joel.

We take realism into account when we can, but we never let it be and edge blocker for cool ideas. Thanks for the input. Its most likely going to be a flying drone that has inventory space, a taser arm, a healing arm, and some mod slots. Mostly a little helper like r2d2 and not a giant sentry bot that can crush your enemies at all. Having something that can heal you and maybe stun the nearest zed with a cooldown will still be a great help in the midst of combat.

Cheers ill drink to that.

where am i again? (side note: when you say "healing arm" i can just imagine a arm with a needle full of blood just ready to shank you with........ JUST LIKE MY SCHOOL. but in reality i think it will be a Defibrillator

Long time listener, first time caller.

First of all, thank you for this amazing game. Been playing games since Commodore 64 and 7D ranks among my top 5 all time.

Re: those bright green highlighter zeds- can't stand them. So ugly.. Out of place with everything else in the game. I've been hoping these would be changed/removed for a long time.

Yeah they were always a placeholder to tell players this guy is harder until we could increase texture memory budget and design something better. That time is near, unity finally added texture streaming so adding more content is at least possible.

Nice, a well balanced choice tbh. A good mix of real and existing robots with already in-place game mechanics, i.e. inventory. I've seen enough real world drones of a decent size, even ones carrying weapons, from paintball guns to pistols and actual machine guns. That really is a thing, only catch irl is that they either have tethered power or really short flight times, but again that's an easy stretch for the game to make. Plus by this time period there could very well be much better batteries anyhow. So it's actually more realistic than not, well played.

One thing I would suggest, albeit non-critical, is to give it ducted fans instead of open blades. Not only more practical when flying indoors irl, otherwise merely bumping a wall would destroy it, and then there's the whole "flying blender" issue. I also imagine it would be easier to implement in the engine, as far as modeling and animation, but I'm just guessing on that part.

Looking forward to what you guys end up with, thanks for the reply Joel.

I'm still juggling the technical requirements around then I'll write the task for the concept art, I'll consider that, but it just seems cooler having blades out in the open :)

I wasn't telling you how or what to do, again just a real world perspective, thought you'd appreciate the input is all. Kinda like the videos you posted a few weeks ago showing real robots as back up to your idea of a junkbot making sense in the game for those who doubted it. I'm not one of those "it has to make total sense" people. I still love most spaceships and robots in Star Wars even though very very few of them would ever stand a chance of actually existing or being even remotely functional irl.

And I love this game, you balance realism and fun really well. I'd say realism does matter, just not in every aspect of the game. A bike has more storage than a jeep, etc. Thought it might help you figure out how many slots to put in the junkbot, and so on. But ok, if the input isn't helpful at all then I'll just stop and wait to see what ends up in the game. Again I'm bound to like whatever it is anyway.

The feedback is interesting, but pathing is big issue with a follower in our voxel world, so it is planned to be a pretty basic hover behind or next to you type of movement. Maybe post A19 we do something more, but depends on where we spend our dev time.

@mm

sense alot of stuff is getting updated (in terms of looks)

will other stuff like guns , Armor and other stuff get a New look?

Linear color space was enabled yesterday and art adjustments for it have started. Post processing v2 added today. I'm hoping in a week we have a lot of it dialed in and looking sweet.

Linear color space was enabled yesterday and art adjustments for it have started. Post processing v2 added today. I'm hoping in a week we have a lot of it dialed in and looking sweet.

..... Think the boat kinda sailed on that one........

basically i don't understand. if anyone can explain it better feel free. no offence Faatal.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived