Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

17 hours ago, Roland said:

I’d like to see vomitting come back as part of sickness at some point kind of like bleeding. Maybe not vomit up everything but maybe 20 points of your food bar with a chance to vomit more than once while the sickness buff is active.  But that will be up to TFP. I hope vomitting isn’t gone forever. 

Or maybe as a 'stun' effect from being vomitted on by a cop or vulture.  They puke, you puke.

40 minutes ago, Roland said:

There have been discussions about food spoilage at TFP from time to time as well and it always comes back to implementation and consensus. Perhaps they will consider it as part of their A20 redesign but I wouldn't count on it too much. They want to get this game to gold and figuring out a way to implement food spoilage that won't add inordinate delays to their schedule could be hard. And then there is consensus. It is just a fact that some people love spoilage and some people hate spoilage. From past polls it seems pretty evenly split among players. So not only are they hesitant to add something that could potentially alienate half the player base-- even among the team of developers there are some who are opposed to adding spoilage because they hate it in games.

There you go. But there is no way I'm typing that date into the banner. "Summer" is just fine. I'd rather spend an afternoon with Trader Rekt than here on the forums on June 26th....

Roland, 

Personally I've never minded waiting for quality. Seen rushed games turn very bad very quick. Maybe because I'm an old man now in gaming community or something. DA2 comes to mind as a rushed product. TFP have delivered quality updates one after another the waiting is good by me. But the log spike trap loss in A17 still hurts. I had to kill zombies to take all my frustration out at TFP over the removal of the best trap ever. 

58 minutes ago, Roland said:

It is just a fact that some people love spoilage and some people hate spoilage. From past polls it seems pretty evenly split among players. So not only are they hesitant to add something that could potentially alienate half the player base-- even among the team of developers there are some who are opposed to adding spoilage because they hate it in games.

I can deal with it in games but it can be super frustrating in multiplayer games.

You log out, your buddies advance the clock and when you log back in you are all out of food. Yay.

In a game like Ark where food is literally all around you that situation is not that big of a deal.

10 hours ago, Roland said:

Not if Joel continues to add a few recipes each update that use the canned food as ingredients. We are getting a handful this time and maybe another handful in the next update. I like the idea of having to decide if you should just eat the Sham now or save it for when you can make better dishes using it.

The problem y'all are going to run into is the same as mods do; more items means more inventory slots used, so you end up having to choose between what's essentially the same thing (food types) populating your slots, or other items.  Sure there may be a small difference between a chili dog and a chili cheese dog, but the bigger difference is using two slots vs one.

...this is actually a good case for simplification.  Y'all should use this. :)

14 hours ago, Rizzano said:

THANK YOU! This is amazing news. I have an idea for a mod for A19 based on this answer. TY TY!

EDIT: Regarding my customizable drones question.

...well I didn't do it.  It just stands to reason to be possible.  We can already bring in new entities, so in XML you should just be able to add the drone to any entity.  Zombie protector, wolf protector,, whatever. 

On 5/12/2020 at 8:02 AM, madmole said:

We're done with weapons except for maybe missing batons. Flamethrower trap might happen yet.

T1: Flintstones Stun Baton.

T2: Iron Stun Baton.

T3: Steel Stun Baton.

But seriously, I have confidence you'll come up with something that makes sense.

16 minutes ago, Dimpy said:

T1: Flintstones Stun Baton.

T2: Iron Stun Baton.

T3: Steel Stun Baton.

But seriously, I have confidence you'll come up with something that makes sense.

T1: Marching Baton

T2: Police Baton

T3: Stun Baton

:)

47 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

The problem y'all are going to run into is the same as mods do; more items means more inventory slots used, so you end up having to choose between what's essentially the same thing (food types) populating your slots, or other items.  Sure there may be a small difference between a chili dog and a chili cheese dog, but the bigger difference is using two slots vs one.

TFP should just have all food as "Meat-like substance burritos".  They were once sold at the late Al's Marina and Burrito Bar!

I still remember their slogan and oath of food quality:

***At AL' Marina, our burritos are packed full of... stuff that is guaranteed not to kill you... immediately. ***

35 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

T1: Marching Baton

T2: Police Baton

T3: Stun Baton

:)

I'd imagine it where the T1 doesn't have the stun mechanic (more like a club, but considered a baton and gets baton buffs from skills, something like a Police Baton), T2 has stunning, but requires a few hits (just like the regular Stun Baton now) and T3 is a full fledged postapo stun baton (with an appropriate look like the T3 club), stunning every hit (or every 2 hits).

2 hours ago, Roland said:

You're trying to trigger me. Don't think I don't know it.... lol

The banner reads "Summer". Joel said before the Steam Summer Sale which is usually sometime around July 4th. 

Tuesday July 2nd is mathematically predicted to have a shinny a19 b144 EXP , so may we expect a streamer weekend before exp release happens?

Why does everybody only give turds to Snowdog? I want turds too. 

Just now, Adam the Waster said:

looks as useful as a flashlight with no light

Well, it's actually more useful than you may think. You can still use it as a regular auger and what you saw there is just a secondary function when you drop it on the ground.

1 minute ago, mr.devolver said:

Well, it's actually more useful than you may think. You can still use it as a regular auger and what you saw there is just a secondary function when you drop it on the ground.

ik but it looks weak. when it was attacking the Cop, it just kinda cuts them. compared to the music. if i made the mod i would make it like a chainsaw on each side and it spins!

Archived