Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 minute ago, Adam the Waster said:

ik but it looks weak. when it was attacking the Cop, it just kinda cuts them. compared to the music. if i made the mod i would make it like a chainsaw on each side and it spins!

Maybe the author likes it slow, so that he has more time to enjoy the view lol

Play Dead Rising 2 with all the expansions...Some of the weapons you could craft used "massagers" as one of the ingredients...a drildo , a leaf blower that launched dildos off zombies heads and bounced around lol...Those games were awesome in all the stupid stuff you could do...

But really the funniest weapon you could craft...used firework rockets and a kids stick toy riding unicorn....you would stab it into zombies and they would fly all over the place like a deflating balloon then explode...

4 hours ago, Roland said:

There have been discussions about food spoilage at TFP from time to time as well and it always comes back to implementation and consensus. Perhaps they will consider it as part of their A20 redesign but I wouldn't count on it too much. ---SNIP---

Honestly, as long as they do something to make food and water an actual important mechanic of the survival aspect in the game, I will be happy at least, whether if it's food spoilage, the new integrated survival system or something else.

1 minute ago, Xtrakicking said:

Honestly, as long as they do something to make food and water an actual important mechanic of the survival aspect in the game, I will be happy at least, whether if it's food spoilage, the new integrated survival system or something else.

maybe over time food becomes worst, instead of just rotting away. it will slowly become worst and worst. lowering HP more and stamina, Crops spoil quickly, water will slowly become dirty, could get you sick. etc

because the game should have more survival parts, Gameplay in terms of Guns and weapons is Good. but survival is not so good!

i hope that TFP Plan! Make game play fun and then work on survival    

Decided to pop into the files and check out stats for all zombies. Even considering the functional differences between zombies (some having armor, some being slower/faster than others, bulkier body or whatever), i still find considerable inconstistencies between "similar" zombies. It's different in A18 than it was in A17 (XP gained for kill is raised for most enemies in a similar fashion). As i understand, A19 will still tweak their stats, adding and removing some of them.

Can any TFP dev say a bit more about how "entityclasses.xml" is populated? Is it done automatically or you have some spreadsheets and verify how they are filled? Not saying it's done completely bad and i'm sure many of these values have been decided for balance reasons, but the concerns i had in A17 persist today (strictly from statistics perspective). For example (values below for comparison): it's easier to kill zombieSoldier to get 750xp by inflicting 150 damage to him, but killing zombieFemaleFatFeral grants also 750xp by inflicting 380 damage. Similarly, i could get 413xp for killing zombieBoe, zombieFemaleFat, ZombieArlene and zombieSteveCrawler, but their HP is as follows: 150, 200, 125 and 80. Should there be such disparity to get same XP, but shoot different amount of bullets/dish out different number of melee attacks depending on a zombie?

Another thing is (as far as i understand) that when some parameter is not mentioned for an entity, it takes the values from the parent (upon which the current is extended). With this in mind, all zombie Biker variants have Strong loot container as a drop, just like most radiated. Radiated Lab zombie has it, but Arlene and Darlene not. Radiated Boe and Moe has Strong, but Joe has not (Boe and Joe have same HP and XP gain). And the biggest curiousity - all soldier zombies have regular loot container (would expect Strong at least for ferals and Radiated, but they all lack the parameter).

PROPOSITION: If it is possible, create some templates (just like zombieTemplateMale) for various groups of Zs (male weak, male feral weak, male rad weak, male strong, male feral strong, male rad strong, etc.) and use them for filling all the repeating values (like XP Gain, HP, loot container, etc.).

SOME ZOMBIE INFO: (Name in XML, XP gain after kill, HP Max, XP/HP proportion)

Name XP Gain HP XP/HP
zombieBoe/Joe 413 150 2,75
zombieBoeFeral/Joe 750 285 2,63
zombieBoeRadiated/Joe 1200 541 2,21
zombieFemaleFat 413 200 2,07
zombieFemaleFatFeral 750 380 1,97
zombieFemaleFatRadiated 1200 722 1,66
zombieArlene/Lab/Darlene 413 125 3,3
zombieArleneFeral/Lab/Darlene 750 237 3,16
zombieArleneRadiated/Lab/Darlene 1200 451 2,66
zombieSoldier 750 150 5
zombieSoldierFeral 1200 285 4,21
zombieSoldierRadiated 1500 541 2,77

18 hours ago, khzmusik said:

What we were actually predicting was gloom, despair, and agony on me! WHY DO YOU NOT LISTEN TO US!!!

...seriously, though, what I personally would have done is this. Rename "dysentery" to "food poisoning," have it gradually decrease as it does now (and not increase like infection), and have tea work similarly to honey (removes a % but not necessarily all of it). It still simplifies the game mechanics but doesn't "dumb it down," so most players would probably be on board.

That's not a complaint though, just a suggestion, and I'll probably eat my words when the new alpha comes out.

This is essentially what I did in A18. The current Dysentary mechanic is a better approximation of food poisoning than the current food poisoning mechanic. I planned to but never got around to making it a worse version of Dysentary. I figure I'd have made it proc slightly more often with a marginally bigger loss.

2 hours ago, Aldranon said:

TFP should just have all food as "Meat-like substance burritos".  They were once sold at the late Al's Marina and Burrito Bar!

I still remember their slogan and oath of food quality:

***At AL' Marina, our burritos are packed full of... stuff that is guaranteed not to kill you... immediately. ***

When it hits gold, food choices will be Soylent Red, Yellow or the popular Green

On 5/12/2020 at 3:26 PM, Xtrakicking said:

Is this serious... ? Why?? Why do you keep cutting things out that don't need cutting? Food and especially water have always been incredibly easy to manage. In A18, it looked like it was finally getting better, but now raw food is perfectly fine to eat and stack in hundreds in your boxes? How does that make sense??? You could've done so many things to make food poisoning fun and engaging, but nope, better cut it out for some reason.

Well... Now that food poisoning is removed, the one and only disease the game has is infection. Not exactly what I imagined when you said "The lower the quality level, the greater chance for disease" in the game's trailer.

Edit: Forgot about dysentery. Cool, 2 diseases, and none are even tied to food. Hurray.

To make room for radiation or food spoilage in the future perhaps.

The fact is nobody on the team liked it. It was too demoralizing to lose all your food over something random, you didn't really do anything wrong and you got punished and food is very scarce on MP servers so its not the same as SP. Rotten food will damage your health.

23 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

maybe one day there may be more kinds of sickness, like Tapeworms or something to make the game more Survival 

Maybe I've got a broken arm, broken leg, infection, deep lacerations and abrasions and a concussion, so poisoning my food was the last straw to make me rage quit or suicide. Put simply, people will be getting wrecked in so many new ways that are more engaging than being crippled by eating fresh cooked food which intuitively should be a safe thing to do not a hazardous thing.

4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

T1: Marching Baton

T2: Police Baton

T3: Stun Baton

:)

T1: Rubber Baton

T2: Reinforced rubber Baton

T3: D*ldo Baton

Rare drop: Legendary Cactus Baton (Increases Max Stamina 50 points, summons a screamer )

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

Maybe I've got a broken arm, broken leg, infection, deep lacerations and abrasions and a concussion, so poisoning my food was the last straw to make me rage quit or suicide. Put simply, people will be getting wrecked in so many new ways that are more engaging than being crippled by eating fresh cooked food which intuitively should be a safe thing to do not a hazardous thing.

that is understandable. but it also depends on how much damage some foods damage you imo. if you eat a sandwich and maybe lose 5 heath? ok! but if i eat rotten flesh and only loose like 7 health. then our people must have super gut! but at the same time you get a concussion cuz some skinny zombie slaps you!   

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

There were a lot of discussions about that in the forum from time to time. You are definitely wrong about one thing, and that is that it would be simple to implement. You just aren't seeing the problems

Not really. Using spherecore I was able to introduce an entire spoilage mechanic into Ravenhearst including fridges that slow down spoilage and a food processor machine that seals your foods for storage. 

This is vanilla isnt really survival focused so i doubt you will ever see spoilage. Best to leave that to modders.

9 minutes ago, JaxTeller718 said:

Not really. Using spherecore I was able to introduce an entire spoilage mechanic into Ravenhearst including fridges that slow down spoilage and a food processor machine that seals your foods for storage. 

This is vanilla isnt really survival focused so i doubt you will ever see spoilage. Best to leave that to modders.

who knows. maybe that will change, like i said they may focus on gameplay then survival, A19 seems to be equal, nice gameplay/toys, and new survival additions like the new injuries.   

11 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

who knows. maybe that will change, like i said they may focus on gameplay then survival, A19 seems to be equal, nice gameplay/toys, and new survival additions like the new injuries.   

From screenshots it looks like it's mainly focused on upgrading graphics. Not that it's a bad thing, I think that's actually one of the better changes in this new version. I don't know about others, but I love the new colors, textures and also that new navigation which draws your marks including quest marks directly into the world. That way you don't have to constantly check the map, you can really focus on the gameplay and just follow the marks. I'm kinda undecided about the new hands texture though. It's surely nice that it got some love too, but the hands now look kinda like old man's hands. I mean, you could probably argue that it's the apocalypse and everyone will get their hands dirty and damaged and whatnot, but I feel like this is kinda an overkill. You have to consider roleplay aspect of this. Many of us love to play mods that may have their own narrative, perhaps one that doesn't really want you to look like an old tired man lol

Archived