Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

11 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Moo!

but for animals like grace, i think she could be called "monstrous Hog" and they could rarely spawn out in the wild.

and maybe other Mutated animals, Deer, wolfs mountain lions, Bears rattlesnakes and Rabbits!

the mutated rabbit would be like the one from multi python "the KILLER RABBIT!" and it could be as tough and strong as a Bear. Gives 10 Testosterone extract 

Are the Electrical Baton's improved as I found them to be really feeble to use. You had to strike once,twice to charge then I think a third time to actually damage the zombie.

Just couldn't gel with them and went for clubs instead.

2 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

Any chance this will change down the line? I was thinking of a good int based weapon option and i though maybe a flamethrower if you ever made one! Could have a paint can and lighter as the tier zero weapon found in kitchens, up to something much bigger and scarier. add some weapon perks to the fireman almanac relating to the weapon too.

I cant think of many things more satisfying that roasting a horde of zombies with a flamer. 

Sure, but INT does have a good ranged weapon (if you find one). But the melee weapon is so underwhelming that an INT player gets more bucks for the bang if he skills into strength instead.

Haven't played it yet, but STR was a strong suite in A18 already. If that battle axe has only half the block damage of a fireaxe, you practically save one toolbelt slot because your melee weapon is good enough for hacking through wood doors and opening crates. That is worth a lot. I want one, as fast as possible 😉.

If TFP wants the attributes to be unbalanced (i.e. STR is for beginners and the perfect secondary attribute, INT or AGI is for advanced players), then this is fine. If they still want to balance the attributes though, I see some work ahead.

8 hours ago, Laz Man said:

+ points for the ramparts looks on your horde base.  I love it. :) 

Having ole sledgy at the door sounds like a good use.  Will have to give that a try. 

Thanks its still just a shell of the proper castle I want it to be.

6 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Sure, but INT does have a good ranged weapon (if you find one). But the melee weapon is so underwhelming that an INT player gets more bucks for the bang if he skills into strength instead.

Haven't played it yet, but STR was a strong suite in A18 already. If that battle axe has only half the block damage of a fireaxe, you practically save one toolbelt slot because your melee weapon is good enough for hacking through wood doors and opening crates. That is worth a lot. I want one, as fast as possible 😉.

If TFP wants the attributes to be unbalanced (i.e. STR is for beginners and the perfect secondary attribute, INT or AGI is for advanced players), then this is fine. If they still want to balance the attributes though, I see some work ahead.

I think as long as each tree has somewhat balanced strength and weaknesses that are fun, they all dont have to have exact equivalents of everything.  Otherwise they would all play mostly the same with some variation.  Food for thought. 

4 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

True, but there are vultures in the burnt forest as well. (batting practice time)

No there aren't. I removed them and made sure the burnt forest had equivalent spawns as the pine forest (zombie dog/wolf). Burnt zombies are a little harder to kill now, like a normal zombie.

3 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

Any chance this will change down the line? I was thinking of a good int based weapon option and i though maybe a flamethrower if you ever made one! Could have a paint can and lighter as the tier zero weapon found in kitchens, up to something much bigger and scarier. add some weapon perks to the fireman almanac relating to the weapon too.

I cant think of many things more satisfying that roasting a horde of zombies with a flamer. 

We're done with weapons except for maybe missing batons. Flamethrower trap might happen yet.

1 hour ago, Jugom said:

image.png.6a78bde1f627b93664df9cffedf9ab3b.png

Will there be a hotkey to toggle this off? I think they are amazing when traveling outside and a great added feature to the game, but will be somewhat annoying and in the way when Clearing inside a POI.

XML. They only show when you are close I think, I haven't noticed them in game play.

42 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Are the Electrical Baton's improved as I found them to be really feeble to use. You had to strike once,twice to charge then I think a third time to actually damage the zombie.

Just couldn't gel with them and went for clubs instead.

There is a book set to enhance INT weapons now. They aren't my cup of tea either but I hear they get better as you perk into them, so we will see.

15 minutes ago, meganoth said:

You need an axe no matter what IMO so its not relevant to balance. It does pretty awesome damage but same as before. INT stuff has been enhanced some with the books and mods you can get now, there is a mod that sends zombies flying on the stun baton.

I think everyone gets into strength a bit. Perception and Agility are the ones I use the least, the rest have must haves every game, but it depends on play style IMO.

15 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

any news for A19?

could be anything! 

Food poisoning is removed. Instead you take some health damage from rotten foods. No effects from raw, and get hefty max stamina increase from the best cooked foods.

32 minutes ago, madmole said:

XML. They only show when you are close I think, I haven't noticed them in game play.

There is a book set to enhance INT weapons now. They aren't my cup of tea either but I hear they get better as you perk into them, so we will see.

You need an axe no matter what IMO so its not relevant to balance. It does pretty awesome damage but same as before. INT stuff has been enhanced some with the books and mods you can get now, there is a mod that sends zombies flying on the stun baton.

I think everyone gets into strength a bit. Perception and Agility are the ones I use the least, the rest have must haves every game, but it depends on play style IMO.

Food poisoning is removed. Instead you take some health damage from rotten foods. No effects from raw, and get hefty max stamina increase from the best cooked foods.

Perception and Agility are the ones I max first, (strength just for pack mule) Perception for looting and questing then agility for stealth damage and par cor.   A silenced 9 and a mp5 and I am in stealth loot business.

11 hours ago, madmole said:

Your castle seriously lacks machicolations between the corbels.

Thus there is a blind spot near the wall.

In medieval times the lord would not have appreciated that.

32 minutes ago, tatters said:

Perception and Agility are the ones I max first, (strength just for pack mule) Perception for looting and questing then agility for stealth damage and par cor.   A silenced 9 and a mp5 and I am in stealth loot business.

Stealth can be fun, but I am all in or not in. I almost always every game get some str, int and fort though was my main point. I can live without those other perk trees completely on a guns build. I always like to build so I need some mining.

5 minutes ago, Damocles said:

You castle seriously lacks machicolations between the corbels.

Thus there is a blind spot near the wall.

In medieval times that lord would not have appreciated that.

But it looks cool. I don't actually defend from up there :)

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Mmm. I have a question, it might be a tricky one.

Have  you guys thought of a mod that autoretrieves the spear back to the belt when it hits a block? 

Like: a chain , or  an automatic "crane" or a hook bracelet mod with a cord or chain attached (could be for the armor gloves) made with an engine and a battery or something cool like that .

Right now, it's extremely annoying to lose that quality 6 fully modded steel spear in the heat of battle and to never see it again.

1 minute ago, Blake_ said:

Have  you guys thought of a mod that autoretrieves the spear back to the belt when it hits a block? 

Like: a chain , or  an automatic "crane" or a hook bracelet mod with a cord or chain attached (could be for the armor gloves) made with an engine and a battery or something cool like that .

Right now, it's extremely annoying to lose that quality 6 fully modded steel spear in the heat of battle and to never see it again.

or maybe you can Hold R to turn it into a Pike where you have a main power attack like the shovel!

26 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

or maybe you can Hold R to turn it into a Pike where you have a main power attack like the shovel!

That's the cheap option. I will react to this interesting suggestion with a poop emoji. Because it smells of a metadesign that actually turns the spear into a shovel in every way but the actual 3d model & damage numbers. Mine is cooler. Cheer ma ballz.

3 hours ago, Jugom said:

image.png.6a78bde1f627b93664df9cffedf9ab3b.png

Will there be a hotkey to toggle this off? I think they are amazing when traveling outside and a great added feature to the game, but will be somewhat annoying and in the way when Clearing inside a POI.

I am also hoping that someday they add a check box to all your waypoints so you can turn on and off the ones relevant to what you are doing at the moment to remove some of the clutter in you compass...I usually have a ton of them but each one gets lost in the crowd.

19 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I am also hoping that someday they add a check box to all your waypoints so you can turn on and off the ones relevant to what you are doing at the moment to remove some of the clutter in you compass...I usually have a ton of them but each one gets lost in the crowd.

i will second that !

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

Have  you guys thought of a mod that autoretrieves the spear back to the belt when it hits a block? [snip]

That's why I have one high-quality modded spear for taking them down in melee, and a cheap one (perhaps with a second weighted head mod) to throw / snipe sleepers.  If the throw connects and the target survives, they bring it back to you (especially with the generous manual retrieval range).  If you miss, you finish them off with your high-end spear (or alternative) and collect the other one later.  Once I find surplus iron/steel spears and mods I can live without, I upgrade my throwing spear... and while I always try to retrieve it, it's still fine if it's lost.  They last a long time after being thrown, it seems, so there's usually plenty of opportunity to find them again after a fight.  It's even easier once it starts getting dark, thanks to the glow.  
Don't ever toss your primary spear, unless you're prepared to replace it.  :]

I really enjoy the addition of spears to the game... I tend to always use them early on, even after I find a decent sledge / fireaxe, since the stamina cost is low, and reach is good.  Solid power attack damage helps take out sleepers from a safer distance, and so on.

Now if we had a longsword / katana... oh man.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

I tend to put the burning shalf mod on my spear to make it A LOT easier to see when thrown. Although a few times I've been watching a streamer and it even happened to me where the spear will be lost to the ground forever (probably falls through the world)

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I haven't lost a single spear in A19. A retraction chain would be a cool mod but it would only be for the convenience of easily retrieving your spear. Finding it has been solved. You can't not find it thanks to "Hendley Garner"

Archived