Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'd guess that efficient digestion buff increases food satiation while it is active.

Wasteland treasures will surely be the most sought after book, which is nice, since it will bring some of the thrill of discovering key recipes back. However I'd also prefer that more survival QOL recipes are tied to electricity.

You haven't seen half the books yet. There are some really nice ones. This one is good don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of gems.

Wasteland Book set

Madmole

I just saw your video for wasteland books, worth the hunt for scavenger play.

Question: Does that mean that you've tied in a weighted variable for armor types and materials? Example Iron plate

slows your actions , vs light military fibre. If so this is nice for mix and match decisions depending on your strength

and agility level.

OMG just try A18 and get over it. LBD is not coming back unless someone buys the company. A18 smokes 16, 17, Fark, Crust, Gay Z, the Forrust, Subfartica, the Shaft, Stranded Geek, you name it I have a pun for it :D Sorry but you don't have to shove cacti up your ass to level any more.

Nah, I'm just not interested in playing the game in it's current form. If i want to play Fallout, I'll go play Fallout, I actually still have all the DLC's that I haven't had time to play through yet.

I'll just wait and maybe you'll rebuild that part of the game again. Otherwise, once you hit full release maybe I'll be in the mood to spend 20-50 hours on the game. Or mod it to something that has longer lifespan.

EDIT: To clarify, my issues aren't just with the LBD being gone, but rather the flow on impact of that. I'm not interested in the new action oriented direction that seems to have come to focus with the skill system change. I bought this game for the in depth survival experience it had the foundation for. I definitely was not looking for another action "rpg' that rehashes the same old experience of every other game in the genre. The difference in how the two systems work with those different kind of games just happens to be the central issue.

Back home from Ireland to PA you B^#%$'s

Lets get this started.

DaVega, go suck a rock (yes thats an r)

Roland, math is for nerds, (uncool geeks)

Gronk, what is the meaning of life?

KingSlayer, minecraft is for 5 year olds..

Kage, learn to conserve ammo.

Lastly, MadMole, how much percent of a Sequel is A18?

Miss me ? :)

* Removes granite from mouth *

What?

So how was Ireland?

You haven't seen half the books yet. There are some really nice ones. This one is good don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of gems.

THAT sir, is no overstatement!

If a player is very lucky, or extremely persistent, the game can deal them: The mother of all royal flushes! (Non-cheat God Mode) :D

But most players will only get a small subset of them, showing the game has replay-ability built in. That is very amazing and someone is a great game designer at TFP!

At the end of the day form follows function. The current ! works. However you have to ask yourself, does this fit the tone of the game, and I'd say no it doesn't. Most likely we'll change it to something, but its not going to make the game any more fun or not, but yeah we don't want to something jarring to look at. Its an effective placeholder, but you'll need to look at it for another alpha.

Oh. I gotta take the opportunity to ask while on this subject, The quests gotten from the old pre-trader system with notes, like the 'kill 3 screamers' etc. Will they eventually revert back to the 'old' ways of actually finding the Z's needed? It feels kinda weird to just go to a ! and the needed Z's spawned, gave much more incentive to travel and hunt when needed a certain type of Z.

(If these quests is not in even invanilla A17, I apologize. haven't played it unmodded for a while)

We were discussing the vanilla game not having any replay value because of the game design. You can't just throw mods into that argument, especially when pcs are 2% of that audience and only a small % of them installed mods.

Edit, even if we were, I'd have never installed any Fallout or Skyrim mods if the base game wasn't awesome to begin with.

hey at 6k hours, I can't really say the game sux now can I, not honestly. and from what you have dispalyed, a18, looks good. when I get it, I can tell you how great it is, but no matter how great a game gets, you will always recieve ideas on what could make it better.

Madmole, might want to add a special sound and a notification when collecting all books in a set, to make a person realize they got then all. It could be added in like A18.1. (Maybe use the A16 level up sound? I mean, it is a big thing when you collect all books in a set.),

At the end of the day form follows function. The current ! works. However you have to ask yourself, does this fit the tone of the game, and I'd say no it doesn't. Most likely we'll change it to something, but its not going to make the game any more fun or not, but yeah we don't want to something jarring to look at. Its an effective placeholder, but you'll need to look at it for another alpha.

Yeah, what do you think about this Madmole?

For a Quest starter marker how about a smoky campfire?

Think one of the 'issues' with the marker is that not all of the POI starting points are in the front, so kinda need something that stands out, and, ideally, would be noticable from any side of the POI.

For the burnt forest biome a slight bit of color could be added if needed.

Quest markers

I'm thinking about two option here:

1) The trader sent someone beforehand to place on of his flags outside of the POI

-OR-

2) The POI was marked with some kind of (maybe) RED painted X on the outside wall (but seems difficult to handle for the programmers... how'd you change a block of the quest POI to show an X??)

Using one of those two example options would feel more immersive IMO.

I'm thinking about two option here:

1) The trader sent someone beforehand to place on of his flags outside of the POI

-OR-

2) The POI was marked with some kind of (maybe) RED painted X on the outside wall (but seems difficult to handle for the programmers... how'd you change a block of the quest POI to show an X??)

Using one of those two example options would feel more immersive IMO.

I'd vote for a different colored smoke-flare; it's already in the game, can be found from a distance, and could be in the way of plane drops packages with notes.

I'd vote for a different colored smoke-flare; it's already in the game, can be found from a distance, and could be in the way of plane drops packages with notes.

Yeah, that could be cool too even if it's less realistic (smoke flares can't be placed days ahead or they'll doze...).

Yeah, that could be cool too even if it's less realistic (smoke flares can't be placed days ahead or they'll doze...).

A friend of mine suggested a barrel instead of a campfire as the base of the smoke stack. A barrel could provide fuel for quite a while longer (at an unrealistic cost for the fuel)

While we're at it, we should find out who is operating the hand crank that keeps the exclamation mark moving up and down! :cocksure:

It needs to be an NPC that can take a few steps. You see him/her standing next to the quest POI and when you approach them they turn and take several steps away from the building and face it. You follow so that your back is to the POI when you face them to activate the quest.

Last night I purposely set my back to the POI when activating the rally marker and I now plan to do it every time. It’s much better not seeing the little changes during the reset.

I like the smoking campfire idea too so maybe the NPC can be standing next to one but you activate the quest with the NPC and can only do so when oriented face to face.

Or maybe just the smoky campfire and when you get close the NPC spawns right behind you. Code for that already exists..... :p

It needs to be an NPC that can take a few steps. You see him/her standing next to the quest POI and when you approach them they turn and take several steps away from the building and face it. You follow so that your back is to the POI when you face them to activate the quest.

Last night I purposely set my back to the POI when activating the rally marker and I now plan to do it every time. It’s much better not seeing the little changes during the reset.

I like the smoking campfire idea too so maybe the NPC can be standing next to one but you activate the quest with the NPC and can only do so when oriented face to face.

Or maybe just the smoky campfire and when you get close the NPC spawns right behind you. Code for that already exists..... :p

And the NPC could just be a block too, so as to not take away from any entity count... (hint: blocks don't have to stand still, it can appear to be an animated entity)

And the NPC could just be a block too, so as to not take away from any entity count... (hint: blocks don't have to stand still, it can appear to be an animated entity)

Exactly! and it can be a NPC modelled after "The Rock".

Archived