Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Back home from Ireland to PA you B^#%$'s

Lets get this started.

DaVega, go suck a rock (yes thats an r)

Roland, math is for nerds, (uncool geeks)

Gronk, what is the meaning of life?

KingSlayer, minecraft is for 5 year olds..

Kage, learn to conserve ammo.

Lastly, MadMole, how much percent of a Sequel is A18?

Miss me ? :)

A18 is so advanced, its like 7 Days III. We skipped the sequel!

oh like you only play vanilla skyrim and fallout

we get a good base game, then when the devs are done, modded is where it is at.

We were discussing the vanilla game not having any replay value because of the game design. You can't just throw mods into that argument, especially when pcs are 2% of that audience and only a small % of them installed mods.

Edit, even if we were, I'd have never installed any Fallout or Skyrim mods if the base game wasn't awesome to begin with.

Like 1 oz is going to save your life?

Every little bit counts, and it means I don't have to sit there with 4 pieces of meat somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah lets drop 2 grand on an Attorney that has no jurisdiction in Nigeria.

Just 2k? That's change under your car seat...

Ahhhhh immersion.

This is a game where u believe u are really smashing zombies in the face by pressing your mouse button, while carrying 20 tons of stone in your backpack, having created a mega castle in a weeks time, But that yellow ! ---- Totally unrealistic

It makes me suddenly realize im playing a game, wth man!

I understand the old excuses. But please, let me explain the hell of your wth: This is our own particular hell and a big exclamation mark doesn't help to immersion in an hipothetical world of zombies and terror and apocalipse. Just like a limousine wouldn't be immersive in Skyrim.

I hope that explains what I meant to you, sir. Not that this is that much of a deal, but if you repeat the same answers that devs gave a long time ago about combat and realism I would therefore consider you a mean person and respond like this lol.

Edit: Just so you know I like MMs flag idea. Not much work for a pleasant immersive vibe. You are still mean though .

Requiring tedious point and click action x1000 for balance is bad game design. A balancing factor should be fun and engaging, like a bunch of bandits harassing me while I´m building, forcing me to deal with them, making up for the time I just saved with this QOL feature. Or a random horde walking through. You name it...

1000 times? You need a 3x3 tower to survive, and a 7x7 tower to thrive. If you dislike placing 1000 blocks you need to nerf your base designs a bit.

And yet...that old boring game...has an electricity system that kicks all others asses , including your game! ;)

Sorry had to put that in there! Redstone was a mod , created by an electrical engineering student and later adopted into the game by Mojang because it was so good...People like me have build some huge complicated machinery and even working computers with it...Sure , others could do better and implement it even nicer...but have yet to see that anywhere...I like builder games , always have...

But yeah...this game has a lot more to do , a lot more fun and I can even die...and far better graphics! Even though , coming here from Minecraft to A7...it had its "charming" blocky world lol...How far you have come that is for sure! Definitely looking forward to playing again for A18

I dunno, Fallout 4's is pretty spiffy. I wouldn't call laying a bunch of redstone and having ugly clunky block trails of redstone well designed at all. Powerful perhaps, but you need a 20 page wiki and 20 youtube tutorials to figure it out.

We were discussing the vanilla game not having any replay value because of the game design. You can't just throw mods into that argument, especially when pcs are 2% of that audience and only a small % of them installed mods.

Edit, even if we were, I'd have never installed any Fallout or Skyrim mods if the base game wasn't awesome to begin with.

I always do the exact opposite. I only mod games that, in my particular opinion, are lacking in several systems.

Morrowind: Good by itself doesn't require mods (unofficial fixes mayb?)

Oblivion: It's like a new pokemon with VR tech but poor content compared raw to its predecesors. That and baby technology framework and

features made it boring after the usual wandering and questing is about half way done. So YES MODS. LOTZ.

Skyrim: No mods needed. Very good game.

7dtd 17.4 : Multiplayer replayability but overall lacking after ~100 hours in a map: never modded it because I know it is in alpha and I don't need it. Honestly I tried, but the mods are overfeatured and bad balanced like there were 100 Guppys doing them.

I do not understand this discussion... are we arguing for/against resetting poi's or for/against the gayfer red exclamation mark?

For the former, I'd argue AGAINST it. TFP should reserve "spaces" in unvisited chunks and create a POI there instead of resetting pregenerated ones, and if there are no more chunks then oh well, stop those quests...

For the latter, an NPC or hell even the orange smoke would be better than that damn cartoon.

Servers have unvisited chunks after a few days? As soon as people have a bike, all roads and cities will be mapped out. Would be a shame to not have quests anymore, just because people like to explore.

Servers have unvisited chunks after a few days? As soon as people have a bike, all roads and cities will be mapped out. Would be a shame to not have quests anymore, just because people like to explore.

I'm talking in the middle of nowhere, but if they're truly all visited then do the ones last visited x days ago... Where there are problems, there are solutions. :)

7dtd 17.4 : Multiplayer replayability but overall lacking after ~100 hours in a map: never modded it because I know it is in alpha and I don't need it. Honestly I tried, but the mods are overfeatured and bad balanced like there were 100 Guppys doing them.

Amen to that. A few mods have nice ideas, but always coupled with ten things you wouldn't want. Oh well, this will all make sense once workshop drops and installing and maintaining a mod is easier.

Can't ask your playerbase to install 45 tiny mods... So you make one big one to not lose too many players.

I don't use mods at all in Skyrim or Fallout. Not yet anyway. Many people don't mod at all. I do have a select few mods that I play with from time to time, but I also mostly play vanilla 7DTD. The game changes so much each release that provides enough replayability for me to not need mods currently.

I know you guys are eventually going to want to shelve the project and move onto other things, but a few things COULD help extend the life of 7 Days To Die.

Regular releases of paid content updates would be a big one. I know Cities Skylines does a ton of this, and I've gotten suckered somehow into buying quite a few of them (I think I may have picked up some of them on the Humble Monthly Bundle or maybe a Humble Bundle). An example of this would be a modern texture pack that adds new paint textures with untainted paint (as opposed to the old, worn paint in houses int the game right now) for players to decorate their base with.

I also think you guys could make some dough by rewriting the network code to be more client/server based (to prevent cheating and allow for certain optimizations not possible with the current net code) and renting out servers similar to Minecraft Realms. Allow users to buy 'day packs' of 30 days, and let them shut the server down when it's not in use to save days. This actually could generate more revenue than a monthly fee because it's easy to tempt someone to buy something one-off vs coaxing them to pay a monthly fee. For example, I have a group of friends I game with on Friday night. If I could have the 7DTD server up Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I know it will last 10 weekends. However, what actually ends up happening is that during the week sometimes I may hop on, so I may start it up for that day and hop on to do some base work before horde night. It's a player friendly approach to renting monthly game servers. Best of all you can rent it for a different price based on player count. Minecraft Realms charges $3.99 for 2 players or $7.99 for 2-10 players I believe. One obvious problem that would need to be solved are the mods, but a simple web interface to upload them would be easy to make. Doing this does not necessarily mean you have to take the server away either. You can still let people host their own server, but your servers would be specifically set up and optimized for the best gameplay. In addition, your servers would have a dedicated interface in game that makes purchasing, creating, and controlling the server dead simple.

Overall, if 7DTD development eventually comes to an end, I'll understand, but I will be deeply saddened. I have so many hours in the game it is ridiculous. Who knew that 7 Days To Die was going to be this great? When this game started years ago, I bought it day one, and I think that I've gotten WAY more than my money's worth compared to any other game I own. It really is fantastic and I personally thank you guys for sticking to it for as long as you have.

It would drop to streamers, so you mean incredibly frustrating.

Yeah, it's going to suck not being able to play on a nice long weekend. Luckily I'm not working currently (medical issues), but for those who are, no nice long labor day weekends to play.

Yeah lets drop 2 grand on an Attorney that has no jurisdiction in Nigeria.

Just report it to Amazon. No need to hire an attorney.

I think it should just activate when you get to within 50m of the location. That allows plenty of time for other players to join your party as the nearest quest destination I've seen is in the 200m range. It also means you won't be able to witness the change. By time it comes into view it is reset for the quest. It also means you won't be able to do the POI before manually activating a rally point to reset it for the quest.

Automatic activation at 50m is the ticket.

We talked about that too, then you don't see the whole thing flicker/rebuild and cannot double mine the resources.

Problem with this method in multiplayer. What happens if another player is in the POI as a quest or just raiding it and you get close and suddenly the POI resets on them?

Archived