Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

They tried to make you think they were evolved zombies by planting a couple false hints... but when I found out they were just people, I was so disappointed. By that point, the show was already leaning too heavily on interactions between people and drama. At one time they presented this concept that people are more dangerous than zombies, and it was good and interesting... but we get it already. When they were in the prison, you really had a sense of how bad things were. At what point did they decide to stop locking themselves up to go to sleep in case they died for any reason? Every single person you are with is a danger to your own safety.

The show has always been more about people and how they survive/adapt/change who they are than it was about the Zombies. Zombies are just the catalyst. People are the walking dead, not the zombies. That's from the owners/writers mouths btw, not my opinion.

Is it possible that ive seen a new zombie in one of the new poi's? She looked a bit like a nurse, but without the nurse-cap on her head. Her uniform or clothing was also more greyish..

Anyone else seen her?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm huge as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I was.. occupied.

She has been around for a while, scientist zombie would be my description, found several in the meth lab type poi yesterday.

Well, happy birthday. How old are you Roland? Good thing your a math teacher. ;)

ROLAND IS A MATH TEACHER!......................................................

I wish he was mine math teacher cuz shes a lazy bum and gets mad because out test our crap. even though she puts 2 notes on the broad's that looks like gibberish then lazily sits on her chain and plays solitaire. so i have to take my time and learn it my self!

It would have been more interesting if after feeding enough times they regain some intelligence and have sympathy for their fellow zombie brethren and hatred towards humans for not "understanding" etc. Having the zombies be a true antagonist again would be more interesting IMO.

SciFi had a show something kind of like that, was interesting. I cannot remember the name, but the series took a weird and uninteresting twist after the first season. The "intelligent zombie antagonist" knew he was a zombie of a sort, more intelligent than the others, led the others, and had sympathy and/or rage to certain scientist colleges for reasons.

BTW Happy Birthday Rolland, may your birthday trolland excursions be fruitful and Snowdog jumps out of your birthday cake in his birthday suit!

well, he's wrong :) Was he a console player by chance cause there that would be accurate, there's some serious unfixed bugs on that version.

he has a xbox and a PC battle station. its better then mine that he got me lol. and yes he played on console first and i think it taunted his opinion. i was the same for me but when i was some you-tubes played it and i got the PC. I got it and i love it.

For what I understood, you hit faster (more often) so your yield should be the same.

And happy birthday to a great moderator !

And happy birthday to Roland too.

DPS is the same, should be in patch notes. I thought the mining felt cooler swinging the tool faster but to those wanting to one shot or two shot I imagine it would feel like a step back, but in the grand scheme of things the amount of ore you pull will be the same. We're still tuning things I didn't think of this use case.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'm not too concerned about yield, but being fast: I'm building an underground tunnel to the desert biome so I can easily get my oil shale mining outpost. It's not a big deal, but at M69er 5/5 I should be able to destroy a rock in 2 hits.

he has a xbox and a PC battle station. its better then mine that he got me lol. and yes he played on console first and i think it taunted his opinion. i was the same for me but when i was some you-tubes played it and i got the PC. I got it and i love it.

Yep, that makes sense then. He's tainted by the console game. PC isn't even close to the same game. Maybe someday he'll realize that.

One thing that would help in the game is ladder guards.

Examples:

https://www.zoro.com/tri-arc-fixed-ladder-steel-3-ft-500-lb-wlfs0204/i/G0980196/

https://www.amazon.com/Spg-Ladders-Walk-Through-Ladder-Options/dp/B01BU143IW

It is hard to see the ladder when trying to climb down.

It is easy to fall off of a ladder when climbing down.

Ladder guards would make it easier to both see the ladder and climb down.

If I decide to build a base on top of a building with a ladder, I build my own guard with wood frames circling around the top of it. Makes it safer and faster to climb down and not break your leg.

It also works great it you cap it off to keep zombies from climbing up. :)

7 items by day 7? That feels a little far fetched. Thats 72000 dukes I don't think so. Even with 3 ranks you only get 15% off now, so thats still a lot of money to raise. Moot point because purples will be gone from traders soon, and the rest is balance. Why would you scrap a purple when you can sell it for way more than the parts are worth?

Sorry but it feels like you are exaggerating by a large margin or leaving out some details, like loot abundancy 200%, 5 hour day length, cheesing pois you know and going straight to the loot chests, etc. It just doesn't sound like the alpha I have 500 hours in and you have 20 or 40? I played 100 hours and had maybe one purple steel armor, the rest was odd colors and some iron yet. I looted a TON and even got desperate to cheese POI loot rooms a few times because RNG denied me a minigun forever.

I have a day 14 game with a purple pistol and purple rifle, I also have acquired 2x purple iron chest pieces, purple leather gloves and a couple of other purple random armor pieces. Pistol is the only purple thing I have actually bought from the trader, the rest are all found items. I also have roughly 15k dukes saved up. (All my other items are yellow/blue/green, but mainly yellow. I have crafted no tools/weapons/armor whatsoever)

Trader always seemed to always have a purple item or 2 in it, and it seemed a bit naff that I could just ride around and buy everything that I didn't need because I would be riding around and not running the POI's, so I'm excited to see that this has been removed for b155, so players need to once again work to get them.

I have been playing a super slow paced game with loot at 100%, with everything set at nightmare but the difficulty set at default, I usually play with bow but due to the horrible 'jellyhead' syndrome where arrows are just flying through heads, I have played this game purely as a silenced pistol for fetch quests, and an 8x rifle when longshotting for XP bonuses. Guns have not exhibited the same behavior with the headshots missing in any way whatsoever, and sadly I dont think I'm going back to the bow till it's looked at, but I'll be return to the bow in a pinch once this issue is resolved, sadly the 'jellyhead' thing seems to have almost gotten worse in A18.

I got a pushbike which is hellishly useful for getting myself to and fro these fetch quests. It's a time management thing and means I can clear more in a day. (although I hope that glitch where you can still ride at full pace once your stamina is zero is fixed soon.) MM, once this is fixed, can we have some specific bike perks that address stamina/speed bonuses etc?

I must add though, the first goal in the game was (and always is) to get my loot perks straight up to level 5 ASAP though, it's one of those skills that really pays off throughout the entire game, but especially early game, and I just hate looking at a bunch of empty cars/POI's/containers that I looted in my first few days when my looting levels were lower.

I'd def say that at day 14, purple is still a nice surprise to find, but the excitement is definitely beginning to wane. These days I'm more excited when finding the skillbooks/schematics. I'm excited to be starting another game for b155

Great job with A18, aside from a few bugs here and there, I'm having LOADS of fun (again)... Onwards to stable !

Nah, it was the morning, fresh spawn.

Heh, so I bought a copy of 7 days a couple of years ago on console for my friend to get him into the game (recently bought him a PC copy too). Our first spawn together a bear was nearby; I told him to be quiet and get away and all I hear was a punch sound followed by a bear growling, proceeded by a "oh wtf!" and him dying. He said he thought it would be a level 1 bear and he could kill it. Laughed heartily about that -- my friend's first death in 7 days was from trying to punch a bear to death at spawn.

faatal,

No rush, just curious, but if or when you have a spare minute could you give an update on how the "AMD 5k and 6k cards may have flashing triangles on the ground" thing is going?

I have spent way too many hours on that issue. I can get different variations of flashing, but it will not go away short of making the ground a single color or removing some of the ground textures (like no road or ore textures). AMD does not support those GPUs anymore and has not updated those drivers in years, so supporting them as the game gets more graphically advanced and we use newer versions of Unity is getting more and more difficult.

At this point we have not decided what we are going to do about it.

I have spent way too many hours on that issue. I can get different variations of flashing, but it will not go away short of making the ground a single color or removing some of the ground textures (like no road or ore textures). AMD does not support those GPUs anymore and has not updated those drivers in years, so supporting them as the game gets more graphically advanced and we use newer versions of Unity is getting more and more difficult.

I'm looking to build a new PC in the near future and was kinda wondering about this. Is it safe to buy an AMD card or is it just the older ones with the issue? Should I just go to Nvidia for a gpu card?

The show has always been more about people and how they survive/adapt/change who they are than it was about the Zombies. Zombies are just the catalyst. People are the walking dead, not the zombies. That's from the owners/writers mouths btw, not my opinion.

Yeah, I've read about it. That's why I said "we get it already" because it's like they got a good response from that concept and then went overboard with it. I compare it to when someone has a good joke, funniest you've ever heard, and they see you laughing so they decide to tell you the same joke every time they see you. (I've known a couple people like that... drives me insane. The fake laughs become less and less believable until the point where you stop trying and yet the joke STILL comes)

Yeah, I've read about it. That's why I said "we get it already" because it's like they got a good response from that concept and then went overboard with it. I compare it to when someone has a good joke, funniest you've ever heard, and they see you laughing so they decide to tell you the same joke every time they see you. (I've known a couple people like that... drives me insane. The fake laughs become less and less believable until the point where you stop trying and yet the joke STILL comes)

That's when you scratch them off your Christmas card list

Yep, that makes sense then. He's tainted by the console game. PC isn't even close to the same game. Maybe someday he'll realize that.

yeah . hell i mostly play Xbox, even now and i per order 7DTD on xbox. to say i was mad about the lack of updates was a understatement (i didn't know about the telltale and TFP situation and i mostly blamed in on the TFP.)

the games i can run on my PC are 7DTD , tabs , Gmod and L4D2. so for now its kinda of limited lol

Is it possible that ive seen a new zombie in one of the new poi's? She looked a bit like a nurse, but without the nurse-cap on her head. Her uniform or clothing was also more greyish..

Anyone else seen her?

She has been around for a while, scientist zombie would be my description, found several in the meth lab type poi yesterday.

Yeah, I would go with "scientist" zombie as well. (Yay for female STEM zombies!!!)

So faatal, does this issue include the newest 5700 and 5700XT cards? Or is it the earlier Vega and 500 series stuff? I just picked up a PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT... (uulp!)

Snowbiome still has the fps issue when looking at terrain. :(

Faatal, do you guys (devs or testers) have AMD RX470/480/570/580 or Vega cards to test on? I see way more people with amd cards having this issue.

filed a bugreport again: Bugreport

AFAIK, one programmer and one tester have an RX580. Nothing specifically has been done with snow yet, because testing it (on other GPUs) showed little difference, so time was spent on higher priority bugs and gfx changes like lowering VRAM use, texture streaming and terrain flickering.

Heh, so I bought a copy of 7 days a couple of years ago on console for my friend to get him into the game (recently bought him a PC copy too). Our first spawn together a bear was nearby; I told him to be quiet and get away and all I hear was a punch sound followed by a bear growling, proceeded by a "oh wtf!" and him dying. He said he thought it would be a level 1 bear and he could kill it. Laughed heartily about that -- my friend's first death in 7 days was from trying to punch a bear to death at spawn.

They need to add craftable picnic baskets you can use to distract bears. Make crafting great again!

So faatal, does this issue include the newest 5700 and 5700XT cards? Or is it the earlier Vega and 500 series stuff? I just picked up a PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT... (uulp!)

I think it is only old AMD cards like the HD 5000, 6000 series launched in 2009 and 2010.

Archived