Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I have a day 14 game with a purple pistol and purple rifle, I also have acquired 2x purple iron chest pieces, purple leather gloves and a couple of other purple random armor pieces. Pistol is the only purple thing I have actually bought from the trader, the rest are all found items. I also have roughly 15k dukes saved up. (All my other items are yellow/blue/green, but mainly yellow. I have crafted no tools/weapons/armor whatsoever)

Trader always seemed to always have a purple item or 2 in it, and it seemed a bit naff that I could just ride around and buy everything that I didn't need because I would be riding around and not running the POI's, so I'm excited to see that this has been removed for b155, so players need to once again work to get them.

I have been playing a super slow paced game with loot at 100%, with everything set at nightmare but the difficulty set at default, I usually play with bow but due to the horrible 'jellyhead' syndrome where arrows are just flying through heads, I have played this game purely as a silenced pistol for fetch quests, and an 8x rifle when longshotting for XP bonuses. Guns have not exhibited the same behavior with the headshots missing in any way whatsoever, and sadly I dont think I'm going back to the bow till it's looked at, but I'll be return to the bow in a pinch once this issue is resolved, sadly the 'jellyhead' thing seems to have almost gotten worse in A18.

I got a pushbike which is hellishly useful for getting myself to and fro these fetch quests. It's a time management thing and means I can clear more in a day. (although I hope that glitch where you can still ride at full pace once your stamina is zero is fixed soon.) MM, once this is fixed, can we have some specific bike perks that address stamina/speed bonuses etc?

I must add though, the first goal in the game was (and always is) to get my loot perks straight up to level 5 ASAP though, it's one of those skills that really pays off throughout the entire game, but especially early game, and I just hate looking at a bunch of empty cars/POI's/containers that I looted in my first few days when my looting levels were lower.

I'd def say that at day 14, purple is still a nice surprise to find, but the excitement is definitely beginning to wane. These days I'm more excited when finding the skillbooks/schematics. I'm excited to be starting another game for b155

Great job with A18, aside from a few bugs here and there, I'm having LOADS of fun (again)... Onwards to stable !

Cardio perk works when sprinting on a bike too.

I'm on day 21 without a single purple item. In fact the highest I've found is yellow (quest reward m60) and I have green tools because I crafted them. I even have 1 rank of lucky looter. I have a brown steel shovel. My armor is brown to green. So I feel like the game is playing nice now as far as loot goes. I'm up to tier 4 quests now so we will see. I finally got mines setup so my bullet factory is started but I have to drive my bike to the trader to craft GP at his chem station, not wasting 5k resources on 2500 gp.

I'm on day 21 without a single purple item. In fact the highest I've found is yellow (quest reward m60) and I have green tools because I crafted them. I even have 1 rank of lucky looter. I have a brown steel shovel. My armor is brown to green. So I feel like the game is playing nice now as far as loot goes. I'm up to tier 4 quests now so we will see. I finally got mines setup so my bullet factory is started but I have to drive my bike to the trader to craft GP at his chem station, not wasting 5k resources on 2500 gp.

I'm on day 25 with no purples. My armor sucks. I also haven't been able to get a vehicle. I've basically been fetch/clear questing non-stop (after some early dig quests for food/antibiotics). *shrug* RNG gonna be RNG.

So yesterday, I played b155 a few hours. After shutting down, the game continued to run for a long time. I had to close it in task manager.

Today, starting the game steam does the "completing first time setup" thingy like I just installed the game. Some weirdness happening, I verified my files yesterday and wiped all the maps/saves, started fresh.

I haven't found a single seed yet, how the heck you guys have jack o lanterns yet?

Well I only found one seed to get started. I also only perked one rank into farming, but that alone gives 2 yield each harvest. I found them days ago and now have 6 pumpkin plants growing, get a dozen total every harvest. Since I have not found any of the recipes yet I have nothing else to do with the darn things, so decorating my hood seemed like a fun thing to do. Especially since I'm preppin my world for my son to check out A18 this weekend between his sessions in the new COD, so I went heavy on the Halloween theme.

I just finished my garden, finally on day 41, thanks to a couple zombie bears and their z dog pack companions, because what else would you want to be dealing with right before a blood moon! *laughs in a mixture of sarcasm and gratitude*

Thankfully the dogs mostly died on the metal spikes around my fence, the bears naturally required some ammo. Anyway, thanks to my hunting harvest bonus I got the rotten flesh I needed to finish my coffee section, the pumpkins were an earlier priority and have been growing for awhile now. Don't usually garden this much, but it was a fun thing to do in the burnt out shell of a POI I converted, my Phoenix Garden. Also glad I planted a bunch of chrysanthemums cause holy ♥♥♥♥ did painting my perimeter fence/catwalk black take a lot of paint, and time.

20191024211344_1.thumb.jpg.08424c3ead52268da49ad8cf44bef255.jpg

20191024213626_1.thumb.jpg.a2c92845caf9ec116eaec7554be26b28.jpg

Although I put a jack-o-lantern on every porch in Diersvill my crib is still the Halloweeniest in the hood.

Already have, why do you think ferals are faster? I would love to see them feed and their eyes turn glowing and then they take off running fast, even if they ate an animal or your buddy to see zombies upgrade on the spot would be terrifying.

Damn skippy they're faster, holy hell.. Sometimes I'll step on a piece of paper or something, hear a z bust out of some closet somewhere in some other room, next thing I know there's a screaming blur dodging my bullets like Neo. Ha, they go so damn fast they can barely control themselves long enough to land a hit on me either, it's both hilarious and scary, love it. 2 screamin idiots runnin around the room until one of us dies.

Well, this sucks. I was in the middle of horde night when my PSU had a power surge, which never happened before. After reconnecting all my wires I start up the game only to find my save got corrupted =( . It reads A 0.0 and broke the game so bad I can't even delete the file or click anything. So after Alt-4ing I try to verify the files. Didn't work. I uninstalled and am reinstalling the game as I write this. Hope this works.

Too bad, I had big plans for my base; even cataloging it along the way. RIP didn't even get a chance to paint it :upset:

Screenshot-61.png

Screenshot-63.png

Screenshot-65.png

Screenshot-66.png

Screenshot-67.png

Sorry to hear about your base. How did you get the center of your handle to glow like that?

Already have, why do you think ferals are faster? I would love to see them feed and their eyes turn glowing and then they take off running fast, even if they ate an animal or your buddy to see zombies upgrade on the spot would be terrifying.

Really? ferals seem slower to me... Where is this whispering?

You know, what you just said about eating and talking about random encounters game me an idea. What if you happened to stumble on some zombies feeding on a now dead survivor? You come up to them and could see then getting stronger and literally change as they feed.

Your careful not to be noticed because they are very powerful when they eat. Faster, stronger and even more aggressive than before. They may even sound different.

So yeah, what you said but as a random encounter. :)

Sorry to hear about your base. How did you get the center of your handle to glow like that?

Glowing embers, Recipe was 10 coal, 10 wood, and 50 gas that I made. Those piles you find in the burnt forest.

100% no cheating. I never had so many broken legs lol.

So I am loving the new update. Melee speed is awesome and all the other stuff is good. However... I found 2 traders on day one and in the broken stations I found schematics for some of the worktables already. Two chems, a forge and a cement mixer. Kind of seems to easy to get em imo.

Oh, not sure if anyone else has encountered this, or if there's a bug report on it. If you place a piece of bulletproof glass on the ground next to the new farm plot that side face of the plot touching it will disappear. Guessing it's the engine thinking it doesn't need to render, because there's a face "in front" of it, but it's both an inch high as well as transparent, so it does.

This issue seriously miffed my initial design plans, but I dealt with it. Not sure if it's the farm plot, or the glass, maybe the new occlusion thing is just making a bad decision here, dunno.

20191024215858_1.thumb.jpg.1cad01fb2b6e9a3bc0e2d70891f2ef4d.jpg

I had to buy an auger to rip out the first bulletproof glass floor I had installed because all my plots did this, replaced with wedgetip sides, cause I want to keep the floor all OG debri looking, hence the glass. It looks neat, like in my garage(went bulletproof because eventually I will park a Jeep on it, but I only just got my minibike.)

20191024221055_1.thumb.jpg.e150836c76c9258b5455de754ba3a067.jpg

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

glass and plot is confirmed and reported

Is it possible that ive seen a new zombie in one of the new poi's? She looked a bit like a nurse, but without the nurse-cap on her head. Her uniform or clothing was also more greyish..

Anyone else seen her?

The Lady doctor/lab tech. Yep seen her a lot when we took over the hospital in our game.

- - - Updated - - -

SciFi had a show something kind of like that, was interesting. I cannot remember the name, but the series took a weird and uninteresting twist after the first season. The "intelligent zombie antagonist" knew he was a zombie of a sort, more intelligent than the others, led the others, and had sympathy and/or rage to certain scientist colleges for reasons.

The show's name was Z Nation.

Glowing embers, Recipe was 10 coal, 10 wood, and 50 gas that I made. Those piles you find in the burnt forest.

100% no cheating. I never had so many broken legs lol.

How the F do you craft that??? I just looked and looked, no idea, neither "glowing" nor "embers" brings up anything at all in the craft menu search thingy. I would use those often, love when a POI I inhabit has them already, like in a fireplace(even though that's often where I like to put my forge, had one with 3 forges once, was so cool.) I wanna make'm.

Either mass produce splints or surround that bad boy with hay bails until your done, cause you should try that again, was a nice build.

[/color]

The show's name was Z Nation.

No it wasn't Z Nation... I can't remember the name for the life of me. It seriously sucked after the first season and got canceled shortly after that.

BTW anyone else noticing stutter lag with forges and/or cement mixers? I can't tell which it is, I have 4 mixers going with no stuttering, and if I turn one forge on with nothing crafting/smelted the stutter resumes.

Archived