Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

With the current balance the game has going right now I dont think degredation would add much to the default experience (60 min days). Would be a great mod though for vets or those who play longer day games.

I think gun jamming could be interesting if the current repair system is too dull. It would just have to be done in a way that is not overly punishing.

As a player I'd be more frustrated with gun jamming than I would be with degradation, because at least there's an "out" for degredation.

I've got a one-or-two-notches-down-from-that rig and don't have those problems. The fps-okay-for-a-while-then-plummets symptom sounds an awful lot like thermal throttling. Maybe outdated drivers. Something's wrong.

Try backing off to 720p, it scales up nicely to 1080p for me, with these settings (i've switched to ultra trees since). With that nicer gpu you can probably do full textures and 1080p but they're not that much nicer for me, they don't carry their freight. The reflections and SSAO make a huge difference in lighting quality, nightttime is just not right without them. do `gfx af 2` on the console for now until they fix the defaults, 4 is a little nicer and some slower but 0 is uuuuu glY.

gfx af is not the anisotropic level. It is only 0, 1 or 2. 0 being disabled. 1 enabled (uses texture's value). 2 is force enable, which is making AF maxed on every texture.

Oh okay. As long as there's a way to prevent it from happening (keep above 25% repairs?).

Could be dependent on repair level remaining, or item-skill level of the player. At any rate, something that can be improved over time.

As i said, the first bullet should always fire, always allowing the player to ensure one shot. (Just having to reload regularly if there is a risk of jamming)

Oh okay. As long as there's a way to prevent it from happening (keep above 25% repairs?).

No gun jamming unless below 25% and as Damocles stated, just reloading in order to fix the jam seem like a perfect balance. I hope they add this to the game. I'm definitely not down with a weapon being able to jam any time. I like the way you guys think.

Could be dependent on repair level remaining, or item-skill level of the player. At any rate, something that can be improved over time.

As i said, the first bullet should always fire, always allowing the player to ensure one shot. (Just having to reload regularly if there is a risk of jamming)

It would give some great oh poop movements, and I'd run it (and mod it if I could) but uh, no way it makes vanilla. "But the new players!". :(

Hi everyone, is anyone else experiencing their backpack disappearing? It's happened to me twice. After I die, I go back to collect my backpack but it's no longer their. The first time I could see the back pack icon but couldn't find the actual backpack. It was in a house with multiple floors but I looked on all of them. The second time there wasn't an icon but I marked it with a save flag. Still nothing...

This is in b155, but there are other ways a backpack can get lost.

"Increased backpack retries when falling out of world."

I made more backpack fixes last night, but won't be released until b156+.

"Fixed SDTD-11144 If a player dies on a very steep incline the backpack can disappear (added high drag. mass 10. centered physics. added random height to underground fix. improved logging)."

So we played Day 28 before the patch was released. I’m very sad to not have a video. At roughly 3am, we ran out of ammo except shotgun and turrets. At 315am, around 12 demolishers showed up as if they knew we had no ammo lol. Turrets caused several to blow up & the ground damage was huge! 4am hits & there were still 3 demolishers around. We were on the second floor and they were trying to break through the hatch. I drove my bike off the second floor escape ramp. Then I ran around looting yellow bags hoping to find some ammo. I found about ten 7.62, enough to kill one demolisher and a turret killed one.

Then I did something crazy..... I took off my armor so I could run faster, then I & my flaming iron knuckles confronted the last demolisher! I lured him away from the base first. Every time I hit him, I got the armor ring. Finally, I must have accidentally hit the button because I heard the timer start!! I turned to run....thank goodness the timer was longer than I thought. When he exploded, I was far enough away to only suffer about 30 points of damage! So, yes boys and girls, you can run from a demolisher and live to tell about it! It was glorious, the most fun I’ve had on a horde night.

Now I’ll wipe the server & we’ll start a new game. MM......you guys really outdone yourselves. I finally can see playing a much longer game now.

The new update feels a lot smoother. I didn't see any mention of optimisation improvements, but something was fixed, for sure.

The Jack o lanterns look AMAZING now that thier lights are fixed! (I just hope they are always around, not just a seasonal thing that gets pulled.l

My goal is to put one at every house in a city...lol!

I was just running around Diersvill putting one on every porch! The lighting on them looks so good now I made my entire base Halloween themed, now the entire neighborhood. Tonight I'm gonna run around knocking on(down) doors collecting treats.

I know zombies AI don’t strictly path to doors anymore. I’m still trying to figure out if they path to the weakest block or just the block closet to you. Sorry if it was in the patch notes lol

They path along the cheapest cost, which is the weakest blocks and shortest distances, but costs are affected by their intelligence, which has random variation for each AI type.

They path along the cheapest cost, which is the weakest blocks and shortest distances, but costs are affected by their intelligence, which has random variation for each AI type.

Damn, much more indepth than in the past yet I can handle 4x the amount of zombies on horde nights than in the past. Top notch work man, you weren't lying when you first got on and said you noticed some changes that could be made with a 50% performance increase. I don't dip fps at all on huge swarms.

Alright base builders, I need some help! I want to get a ramp to drive a 4x4 up, but using the ramp blocks whenever I drive up them, it does damage to the blocks from the 4x4 hitting them. Its a tiny amount and I can do it over and over and over before repairing, but on concrete it shows really early and it makes my brain hurt looking at them not look all nice and pretty. Anybody have any solutions for a ramp that doesnt take damage driving a vehicle up it?

Drive slow?

This change today will help for b156+.

"Fixed SDTD-11162 Drawbridges take damage while being driven over (increased vehicle's threshold to damage a block from 5 to 9 damage)."

Is it possible that ive seen a new zombie in one of the new poi's? She looked a bit like a nurse, but without the nurse-cap on her head. Her uniform or clothing was also more greyish..

Anyone else seen her?

- - - Updated - - -

Fight is over guys, don't make me come in there and split your spines in half with my hands...I mean, look at my avatar...I'M HUGE

I'm huge as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, am concerned about DaVega and Snowdogs` silence at this time.

And I prefer melee :brushteeth:

Sorry I was.. occupied.

It's most likely garbage collection. One of the pimps said a while back they were going to change it to run when you go into the menu when there are no zombies around.

Yes and No. It is a unused resource unload, when a UI window opens, but it is on a 20 minute timer and the game freezes while that is run, so it would not feel like lag, but a pause.

At first the whisperers seemed awesome, I thought they were an evolved zombie showing some kind of intelligence but when they were dudes in zombie masks I was like pffft, dumb. It would have been more interesting if after feeding enough times they regain some intelligence and have sympathy for their fellow zombie brethren and hatred towards humans for not "understanding" etc. Having the zombies be a true antagonist again would be more interesting IMO.

Why not add that idea to the game? :)

Archived